Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2020, 01:41:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo - NASSP 6.4.3 released!
http://nassp.sf.net
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP News & Discussion (Moderators: movieman, Tschachim, Swatch, lassombra)
| | |-+  IRC channel
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: IRC channel  (Read 2997 times)
Thymo

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 20, 2016, 03:29:30 PM »

IRC channel is up on Freenode.

Name: #nassp

Registering your nickname:
http://freenode.net/kb/answer/registration

Connecting with SASL:
http://freenode.net/kb/answer/sasl

-----ORIGINAL POST-----
So, I've been starting to use IRC more and more over the last couple of months and found it to be very useful for both getting support and just general chatting.

Why do we not have an IRC channel (that I know of)? This could drop the boundaries for people to create an account and write an elaborate post. They could get more realtime help.
It can also help development discussions and we can talk about anything related to the project.

Let me know what you guys think.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 11:38:48 AM by Thymo » Logged
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 10:01:14 AM »

Better ways of communication for support would be good, but I don't know if IRC is the best solution. nassp.sourceforge.net is the first point people go when they find the project, unfortunately the wiki is broken so that no new users can be created, which makes keeping it up to date difficult. We could move to the Orbiter Forum which has much more activity and I have answered questions there a few times. Creating an account here in this forum is also difficult, as I had to experience myself. As for development, I am not opposed to having an IRC and if the regulars here all think that would benefit development, then let's do it that way. But I often find very old posts here in this forum which are helpful for development now, so I would prefer (and I have always done so myself) to have posted any major changes and new findings in a forum post.
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 12:22:35 PM »

Is there an existing IRC network with an active/reasonably sized Orbiter user community? If not, I already run an IRC network for other purposes and I would have no issues with a channel being there.
Thymo

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 03:30:48 PM »

All the orbiter related IRC channels I can find are spread out over multiple networks which I've never heard about.

I already created a channel on freenode a while back. A lot of open source projects (especially linux related) are hosting support/discussion channels there.
The channel is #nassp. I'm currently the only op in there but I'll grant all the devs op power. Just hop in and ping me.

Dseagrav, if you prefer to use your network instead I won't mind and just remove the channel on freenode. But IMO it would be better to use a well known network.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 03:33:08 PM by Thymo » Logged
Thymo

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 12:46:04 PM »

Channel dropped due to nobody using it.
If people want it back, please let me know. I'll get it registered and setup again.
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 12:48:51 PM »

There will probably be more interest after the release.
Thymo

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 11:09:15 AM »

There will probably be more interest after the release.

Do you want me to set it up again on freenode or would you rather use your own network?
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 02:20:38 PM »

Whichever you think is going to work better for people.
Thymo

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 03:18:39 PM »

Since I'm pretty much always on freenode anyway and it being a well known network around the net I've set it up on freenode again.
Just shoot me a message on their so I can grant you op access. Channel is #nassp.
Below are some things I recommend setting up.

Registering your nickname:
http://freenode.net/kb/answer/registration

Connecting with SASL:
http://freenode.net/kb/answer/sasl
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 01:39:39 PM »

I was sceptical if an IRC channel would be helpful for us, but now I think it can be both development and support chat. I have been in the chat whenever I was working on Apollo 7 the last few days. And talking about the ongoing work with some people (just Thymo and thewonderidiot really) is much better than having to wait for a response here in the forum. Anything that is useful to know for everybody working on NASSP should of course still be posted in this forum. But I encourage everybody to join the chat whenever they are working on something or when they have questions. I can't promise "one-to-one" training, but if I am there then I'll try to help.
jalexb88

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 11:05:57 AM »

Im trying trying to register my username with IRC:

/msg NickServ REGISTER password youremail@example.com

Does this have to be typed into an IRC client of some sorts? What client are you guys using?
Thymo

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 11:13:36 AM »

Yes, /msg is an IRC command.

I'm using KVIrc myself but I'm not sure if it's compatible with Windows. Hexchat is also a widely used client. Personal preference really.
Here's a list of clients: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Internet_Relay_Chat_clients
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: