Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 01, 2020, 10:56:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the new Meadville Space Center forums!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2267 Members
Latest Member: Apollo Next
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development (Moderators: movieman, Tschachim, Swatch, lassombra)
| | |-+  Website Discussion/Development Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Website Discussion/Development Thread  (Read 2500 times)
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2016, 08:02:36 PM »

Since we can't update or manage the wiki anymore there seems to be a general consensus it should be replaced.

What do we want to replace it with? We can use the github wiki, in which case the wiki content would be managed like the source code. We can also set up a website on my personal server (or anyone else's), in which case we can run nearly any software we want.

Do we want it to be a website or a wiki? If we want a wiki what engine do we want?
Do we want to register a domain for it?

We can do pretty much anything really. The only thing I am opposed to is anything involving Wikia, and I am averse to anything involving forced advertisements.

eddievhfan1984

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 08:27:15 PM »

I like the idea of the GitHub wiki. Does this also mean editing would be limited to devs only, or would the general public be able to make edits? I kinda fear what would happen if a hoaxer got free edit capability on the wiki. lol
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 09:40:25 PM »

Does this also mean editing would be limited to devs only, or would the general public be able to make edits?
I believe so; The editors must have source commit access. If there's some other access I'm not aware of it. For what it's worth I'm not opposed to giving people push access just for documentation.
Thymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 05:03:26 PM »

I've been googling a bit an I found some problem. Nearly every reference I can find about the project points to nassp.sf.net.
This way people will keep going to the old wiki (seeing as it's the first result).

Is it possible to redirect requests to that domain to whatever we're going to use? I don't know what kind of access we have. Maybe a .htaccess with a 301 redirect will work.
Thymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 05:15:50 PM »

Turns out people without commit access to the repo can edit and add to the wiki whatever they like.
I'm however unable to delete pages.

Read somewhere that they can be disabled completely if we're not gonna use this.
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 01:25:33 AM »

Apparently we have regained control of the wiki. It's been upgraded to 1.26, which is the newest supported version that will run on the version of php that Sourceforge provides.
What is broken and what needs adjustment is not yet clear. Input is appreciated.
Thymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 02:20:39 AM »

Trying to resend the confirmation email returns an internal error.

"[5f917646] /wiki/Special:ConfirmEmail MWException from line 291 of /home/project-web/nassp/htdocs/mediawiki-1.26.4/includes/mail/UserMailer.php: PEAR mail package is not installed"
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 04:20:41 AM »

As an already registered user I was now able to confirm my email address. Finally! Thanks for the work, dseagrav, I guess I will take look at what really is broken now. Doesn't look too bad on the surface.
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 06:20:26 AM »

Trying to resend the confirmation email returns an internal error.

"[5f917646] /wiki/Special:ConfirmEmail MWException from line 291 of /home/project-web/nassp/htdocs/mediawiki-1.26.4/includes/mail/UserMailer.php: PEAR mail package is not installed"

You got there before I had it working. It works now. Try again. You may have to re-register because I mass-deleted anyone who wasn't confirmed to avoid having one of the 180,000 spam bot accounts become active and cause problems.
Thymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 08:32:31 AM »

Done.

I love those human verification questions.  Very Happy
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 08:34:29 AM »

No spambot is going to know much about Roger Chaffee.

The only problem I have seen so far is with Biblio, for example at the bottom of this page: http://nassp.sourceforge.net/wiki/EMS
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 08:58:57 AM »

No spambot is going to know much about Roger Chaffee.
Yes, which is why the dedicated spammers pay humans in China and India to solve those questions for them. This is purely a stall; It's only a matter of time before the spammers get in.

The only problem I have seen so far is with Biblio, for example at the bottom of this page: http://nassp.sourceforge.net/wiki/EMS

So that's where it was used! Give me a bit and I'll see if I can do something about these.

Edit: Biblio was replaced with BiblioPlus. I think it's working as intended.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 09:40:29 AM by dseagrav » Logged
Thymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 09:41:27 AM »

Is there any possibility that HTTPS can get setup on the forum/wiki?
It would be favorable to send sensitive information such as passwords over a secure connection.

I'm using Let's Encrypt for my websites. https://letsencrypt.org/
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: