Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 01, 2020, 10:39:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo Beta 7.0 released!
http://nassp.sf.net/wiki/Installation
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2267 Members
Latest Member: Apollo Next
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Meadville Space Center
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  NASSP 'OOPS' collection
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: NASSP 'OOPS' collection  (Read 1199 times)
Thymo

View Profile WWW
« on: September 14, 2016, 03:42:35 PM »

Why do we have an offtopic section when nobody uses it? Some fun and distraction every now and then helps freshen up the mind.

Describe a situation in which you find out you did something stupid whilst playing, testing, whatever.

Here's one:
I started the O2 purge on FC1 per the flight plan. This was gonna take 2 minutes so I figured to get something to drink downstairs. Then one of my family members distracted me. When I came back I looked back at my screen and saw the DET counting up from 25 minutes.
Then it struck me. I scrolled my view right and saw the FC1 purge switch happily sitting switched to O2.  Duh!

I guess I can probably skip the next couple of purges :p. (seriously though, this won't mess up anything besides O2 consumption right?)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 01:28:36 PM by Thymo » Logged
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 04:05:48 PM »

I have a pretty good recent one, too.

I was testing the Apollo 9 LVDC scenario, where the S-IVB can now move to the separation attitude. So I did the LV separation and then wanted to perform a standard TD&E. But something was just not working out for me. I wanted to let the AGC do the attitude holding while I did the translations, but neither did the AGC a good job at attitude holding nor did my translational commands really do what I wanted them to. After a few minutes trying to align with the LM docking port I wondered what could be going so wrong. Did my LVDC change break anything? After a few more minutes of trying I started looking at the scenario file. And there I found something strange, only one of the Auto RCS enable relays was energized. Then I checked all my switch settings and indeed I had neglected to push the SECS Arm B circuit breaker in. So when I set the RCS Cmd switch to on, to enable the relays for the Auto RCS, half of the primary coils of my RCS thrusters weren't powered. So both the AGC and I tried to use thrusters that just couldn't do anything useful. Of course it was easily fixed once I knew the problem. I was really missing a few attentive MCC controllers for this.

Some days a realistic simulator like NASSP punishes small mistakes too much.  ROTFL
Thymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 04:26:45 PM »

Haha  ROTFL

Oh yeah, transposition and docking. What a nightmare.

Back in June/July I figured I tried to find out to what point the LEM could power up and do stuff. After multiple approaches some even getting me ~100m ish away from the stack I just went ahead and 'tested' how well orbiter's scenario editor docking would work with NASSP. It worked just fine. :p
almostfm

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 07:08:56 PM »

For me, I found that I could only "hand dock" if I only did one thing at a time until I was facing the LM:  Get separation distance, stop. Turn CSM around, stop. Begin moving toward LM.  At that point, I could make small alignment adjustments while moving toward the LM and dock relatively easily, but if (for example) I tried to turn the CSM while it was still moving away from the stack, there was a lot of profanity involved  Wink
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: