Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 01, 2020, 10:09:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo Beta 7.0 released!
http://nassp.sf.net/wiki/Installation
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2267 Members
Latest Member: Apollo Next
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development (Moderators: movieman, Tschachim, Swatch, lassombra)
| | |-+  Kevin Bacon Challenge
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Kevin Bacon Challenge  (Read 1166 times)
indy91

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2016, 12:00:21 PM »

This is in reference to this clip from the Apollo 13 movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arD2K6I7dU8 Kevin Bacon, playing Jack Swigert, gets tricked by the training crew into taking over manual control of the reentry, subsequently causing a trajectory that is too steep to be survivable.

I have mentioned it in a few threads already, but I really would like a few scenarios/challenges as an introduction to NASSP. And one of the fun things to do in NASSP is trying to manually land the Command Module as close as possible to the carrier (or rather the targeted coordinates). My first programming experiences for Orbiter were lua scripts and in Orbiter they are especially useful for implementing challenges like this. So here my first attempt at a scenario and script for the "Kevin Bacon Challenge". The scenario begins 3 minutes before entry interface and is configured for a completely automatic reentry. The lua script is displaying the distance to the targeted landing site at 165W. It still needs a lot of work, it should be calculating the distance to the landing coordinates on the Earth ellipsoid, which is what the AGC is flying to. So right now it shows a few miles distance at splashdown to the planned coordinates. Also, there should be something happening at splashdown, maybe saving the distance as a "highscore", just as some default Orbiter scripts are doing it. And some instructions how to take over manual control could be displayed, too.

* Kevin_Bacon_Challenge.zip (25.61 KB - downloaded 79 times.)
almostfm

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 05:57:06 AM »

I like the idea of "challenges", but I'm not sure having them as an introduction would be the best course.

There's going to be a steep learning curve for someone not familiar with flying the CM, and a situation like that isn't something where you've got time to read the manual.  Continually killing them in the first five minutes could prove discouraging Very Happy
rcflyinghokie

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 08:05:02 AM »

I like the idea of "challenges", but I'm not sure having them as an introduction would be the best course.

There's going to be a steep learning curve for someone not familiar with flying the CM, and a situation like that isn't something where you've got time to read the manual.  Continually killing them in the first five minutes could prove discouraging Very Happy

I do not think the challenges were meant for new users, just an option to explore different things once you have done the vanilla mission with no failures.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: