Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2020, 09:16:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Gemini 060615 released!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development (Moderators: movieman, Tschachim, Swatch, lassombra)
| | |-+  Scenarios for the 7.0 release
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Scenarios for the 7.0 release  (Read 1960 times)
indy91

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2016, 06:36:17 AM »

Here my concept for the scenarios available with the release. In the main "Project Apollo - NASSP" folder the four scenarios with LVDC++, Virtual AGC and MCC as an option. Then under "Apollo - Historical Missions" for Apollo 7 and 8 the following scenarios:

Apollo 7:

• T-20m
  • T-1m
  • After Insertion Checklist
  • Before S-IVB Separation
  • Before Phasing
  • Before Phasing 2
  • Before NCC1
  • After NSR (Main rendezvous scenario)
  • Before TPI
  • Stationkeeping
  • Before 2nd Separation
  • Before SPS3
  • Before SPS4
  • Before SPS5
  • Before SPS6
  • Before SPS7
  • Before Entry Preparations
  • Before SPS8 (Deorbit)
  • Before Entry Interface

Apollo 8:

• T-20m
  • T-1m
  • After Insertion Checklist
  • Before TLI Preparations
  • Before S-IVB Sep
  • Before MCC1
  • Before MCC4
  • Before LOI-1
  • Before LOI-2
  • Before TEI
  • Before MCC5
  • Before Entry Preparations
  • EI-3 minutes

With all the scenarios before a maneuver in Program 00, but already fully prepared (P30 done) for the maneuver. So at TIG-15 minutes for the SPS maneuvers.

I have really good documentation for potential reentry training scenarios with the actual state vectors, REFSMMAT and everything. The actual positions used during training for nominal, EMS and rolling reentries, so pretty exciting stuff. There were like 20 different scenarios used for that. But to convert that into NASSP scenarios someone would have to develop a tool to create scenarios with the information given in the documents. Just manually using the Padload Worksheets and editing the scenarios would take ages. So that is maybe a project for the next release. I think the Space Shuttle Ultra guys are also developing something like this.

This type of scenarios including the EMS reentry scenario with the lua script (Kevin Bacon Challenge) would probably belong in a "Training Scenarios" folder.

Feel free to post more ideas for scenarios, or if the scenarios listed above are too many in your opinion.
rcflyinghokie

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 11:51:01 AM »

I think that list is perfect.  As far as other emergency types, we can take advantage of calculating such PAD's as direct aborts in Apollo 8 and actually create failures that necessitate one based on mission rules.
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 12:25:19 PM »

As far as other emergency types, we can take advantage of calculating such PAD's as direct aborts in Apollo 8 and actually create failures that necessitate one based on mission rules.

Failures and aborts aren't fully supported in 7.0, but the MCC calculates all these Block Data, TEI Maneuver PADs etc. anyway. So if you want to use one of these Abort PADs, should the nominal way of dealing with the MCC be deactivating the mission tracking? I could also add a "Request mission abort" option or something like that to the MCC menu. There is already support in the MCC for launch aborts and initial provisions for abort in later mission phases, I might as well extend this so aborts from Earth Orbit, Translunar Coast and Lunar Orbit are supported. At least so that the MCC doesn't calculate the next nominal Midcourse Correction, when the CSM has already performed an abort maneuver.
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 03:32:39 AM »

My initial idea was that the abort stuff would be called automatically when the user got into a situation which violated mission constraints and/or from which continuation of the mission is impossible - Using up too much RCS fuel, screwing up a burn such that recovery is not possible, missing the lunar target, etc. Doing it on demand should be fine too. Doing it based on simulated equipment failure was planned for later in the game. All it really needs to do is shift MCC's priority from following the mission plan to recovery of the crew.
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 06:44:31 AM »

My initial idea was that the abort stuff would be called automatically when the user got into a situation which violated mission constraints and/or from which continuation of the mission is impossible - Using up too much RCS fuel, screwing up a burn such that recovery is not possible, missing the lunar target, etc. Doing it on demand should be fine too. Doing it based on simulated equipment failure was planned for later in the game. All it really needs to do is shift MCC's priority from following the mission plan to recovery of the crew.

Do you want the first part implemented in 7.0? I think I have enough information for an extensive mission constraints evaluation, that considers RCS fuel left, MCC DV etc.
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 10:15:11 AM »

It wasn't planned for 7.0 - I'd rather not delay it any more than we have to now that you can't download Orbiter 2010 anymore.
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 08:29:06 AM »

I will soon start creating scenarios for Apollo 7. Should these be with MCC and Checklist MFD? I think that makes the most sense for the nominal mission scenarios. And if there are any more ideas (e.g. something like the 37000 ft/s lunar entry, or maybe scenarios for a skip reentry) then you can post them in this thread.
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 03:49:28 AM »

I'd say do it with the checklist MFD and MCC, because if we want to make scenarios without those we can just delete the relevant sections from the existing MCC+MFD scenario file and not have to refly the mission(s).

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: