Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2019, 05:29:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP News & Discussion
| | |-+  Support & Bugs (Moderators: movieman, Tschachim, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Apollo 8 Beta Testing Bugs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: Apollo 8 Beta Testing Bugs  (Read 17358 times)
rcflyinghokie

View Profile Email
« on: November 23, 2016, 11:54:51 AM »

I am starting this thread for those working through Apollo 8 to post bugs and issues.
rcflyinghokie

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 12:32:11 PM »

Just pushed a fix for the dV CG switching and for a timing error that starts the flightplan group (4h in) before the insertion checklist (immediately after boost)
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 09:59:39 AM »

@rcflyinghokie, did you do a bunch of changes to the insertion checklist in the Apollo 8 Checklist MFD file? There are some things that seem different, and also a few problems that weren't there before. For example, I think the Fuel Cell Indicator switch a few times doesn't have the same desired position as in the description of this checklist item during the FC purge tests. Also, at no point are the SECS circuit breakers closed again and the SECS Logic switches enabled again. Fairly certain these things worked before...

Following the Checklist MFD I am also already done with all the TLI Prep before the 2 hours GET mark, weren't there previously later times specified for this? Pyro arm shouldn't really happen this early.
rcflyinghokie

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 11:16:48 AM »

The only changes I made were adding the dvCG switch to LM/CSM before launch and to the P40 checklist and changed the timing in the flight plan group so it would appear after the CSM/LV separation.  I didn't mess with the insertion or TLI checklist other than adding the word "Copy" to the text when a PAD is expected.
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 11:33:09 AM »

Weird. Must be older changes then, I haven't tried Apollo 8 in a while. In any case, there are currently quite a few "bugs" in the checklist file, do you want to handle that or should I fix the ones I have found?
rcflyinghokie

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 11:39:47 AM »

Weird. Must be older changes then, I haven't tried Apollo 8 in a while. In any case, there are currently quite a few "bugs" in the checklist file, do you want to handle that or should I fix the ones I have found?

I already have it all up so I can easily fix it Happy  Mind giving me a good list?
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 11:49:30 AM »

Just from memory, you should check the FC Purge stuff in Earth Parking Orbit (part of the insertion checklist), I think the indicator switch isn't always right. As I said above, the circuit breakers and logic switches for the Pyros are not enabled again for TLI, only the Pyro Arm switches are. And after TLI and separation, when the left TVC power switch is reset from AC1 to Off the position the checklist controller wants is AC2 and not off.

In all the problem cases the displayed text for the checklist item is right, but the position in the column for that in the Excel sheet is wrong.

The TLI Prep with Pyro Arm maybe needs a slightly different timeline, the flight plan should give you that information. Go for Pyro Arm is given at about 2:20h.
rcflyinghokie

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 12:03:33 PM »

I'll run through and fix the timeline shortly.  I know why the FC indicators were on the wrong positions, because they use 1 2 3 as the position indicators in the saturnpanel.cpp unlike other rotary switches that use 0 1 2 etc.

EDIT: Fixed those issues you mentioned, will create a pull request soon.  Timeline seems to work right now let me know if something is still screwed up!

EDIT 2:  One thing I noticed is the securing of the cabin pressure before the SEP checklist asks for Direct O2 full open until the cabin pressure is 5.7psi.  In our sim this does not increase cabin pressure very fast at all and even with the valve open the whole time there is no way our sim reaches this pressure before sep, any thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 01:25:00 PM by rcflyinghokie » Logged
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 03:38:40 PM »

EDIT: Fixed those issues you mentioned, will create a pull request soon.  Timeline seems to work right now let me know if something is still screwed up!

I believe you that it is fixed. I was already further than separation and the timeline worked perfectly. So perfect, that the checklist for the S-IVB separation was reached exactly on time for separation. Very Happy

EDIT 2:  One thing I noticed is the securing of the cabin pressure before the SEP checklist asks for Direct O2 full open until the cabin pressure is 5.7psi.  In our sim this does not increase cabin pressure very fast at all and even with the valve open the whole time there is no way our sim reaches this pressure before sep, any thoughts?

To me it looks like all the pipes, valves and switches for this are properly implemented. The Direct O2 is connected to the suit circuits, but those circuits should be connected to the cabin. And according to the diagram (http://nassp.sourceforge.net/wiki/File:CSM_systems_diagram.gif) there are a few connections to the cabin. I don't know enough about the ECS to find where the oxygen is flowing through, should it be the suit relief valve? I have no idea how to control that valve though...
rcflyinghokie

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 04:30:21 PM »

To me it looks like all the pipes, valves and switches for this are properly implemented. The Direct O2 is connected to the suit circuits, but those circuits should be connected to the cabin. And according to the diagram (http://nassp.sourceforge.net/wiki/File:CSM_systems_diagram.gif) there are a few connections to the cabin. I don't know enough about the ECS to find where the oxygen is flowing through, should it be the suit relief valve? I have no idea how to control that valve though...

I am trying to find it now, but I remember reading a long time ago that if all 3 crew members were in shirt sleeve then all 3 are supposed to be on full flow.  And I just found it in the A15 systems checklist.

It looks like the apollo 8 checklist for doffing the PGA has the crewmember switch to cabin flow.  However the apollo 15 says the same but also explicitly says 3 on suit full flow if 3 unsuited.  I am going to dive through the AOH for more information.

EDIT:  So playing with time warp the direct O2 will increase the cabin to 5.7, but it takes over 3 hours, too long for that checklist step of course.  I am wondering if that valve should be increasing pressure faster?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 04:38:23 PM by rcflyinghokie » Logged
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 04:59:11 PM »

You mean the suit flow control valves on panels 300-302? Those are actually not implemented. So if the cabin pressure is increased via these valves, then we might have found the issue.
rcflyinghokie

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 05:09:38 PM »

You mean the suit flow control valves on panels 300-302? Those are actually not implemented. So if the cabin pressure is increased via these valves, then we might have found the issue.

Yes that's what I am talking about.  According to the AOH, putting them in cabin flow increases the flow rate to 12 cfm.  Something tells me I read a while back that this bypasses the CO2 scrubber and debris trap and such and thus was not used continuously, though I could be way wrong.
rcflyinghokie

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 05:33:29 PM »

That reminds me, do we have a link to the AOH volume 2?  I cannot seem to find it.
eddievhfan1984

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2016, 11:18:54 PM »

Just discovered a potential oversight: we need markers for Earth landmark tracking when doing P23. Horizon sighting is one thing, but I don't know what I'm supposed to be locking onto when doing star/landmark sightings.
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 05:31:34 AM »

Yes that's what I am talking about.  According to the AOH, putting them in cabin flow increases the flow rate to 12 cfm.  Something tells me I read a while back that this bypasses the CO2 scrubber and debris trap and such and thus was not used continuously, though I could be way wrong.

I think we should create an issue on Github for this and forget about until we work on NASSP 8.0.  Very Happy

That reminds me, do we have a link to the AOH volume 2?  I cannot seem to find it.

You can get it at: http://www.spacecraft.it/ Just register, write a nice email and get the AOH Volume 2 and a few other documents. They went through the effort to scan these documents and these are large files, so I guess they want to limit their bandwidth costs.

Just discovered a potential oversight: we need markers for Earth landmark tracking when doing P23. Horizon sighting is one thing, but I don't know what I'm supposed to be locking onto when doing star/landmark sightings.

I actually started collecting information about the Earth landmarks from the Apollo Landmark Project and I will create a Marker file with all landmarks for which I have a complete set of latitude, longitude and altitude. Unfortunately we don't seem to have a document with a full list. Here a text file with the landmarks I have been able to find information about so far.

* ApolloLandmarkProject.txt (2.17 KB - downloaded 129 times.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: