Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2020, 09:18:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the new Meadville Space Center forums!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development (Moderators: movieman, Tschachim, Swatch, lassombra)
| | |-+  Cue Cards with clickspot
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cue Cards with clickspot  (Read 1465 times)
indy91

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2016, 05:41:13 PM »

Recently I watched this video of Apollo 12: https://youtu.be/ye2xqpVDyZc?t=32m17s They let the camera run for the whole MCC-2, from P30 to after the burn. It's not easy to see everything they are doing, but with some experience in P40 and such you will recognize each step. Pretty neat to see this stuff done in the real world.  ROTFL

Anyway, as you can see they have a bunch of cue cards attached to the panel. And I thought it would be neat if we could do this in NASSP, too! I imagine that someone has to create bitmaps for the cue cards and then they would be realized with small clickspots somewhere on the panel, basically like the ORDEAL panel is accessed on the main panel. There are a bunch of screws on the panel, maybe some of them could be the clickspot. That's how I have seen it done on the 2D panel for some addon aircraft in Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Here the Apollo 14 CSM Cue Cards, including the locations where they are supposed to be in each mission phase: http://history.nasa.gov/ap14fj/pdf/csm_cue-cards.pdf So in addition to having all the checklists ready in print or in the MFD, the cue cards could be really useful. And after all they were used during the actual missions so having them makes it more realistic. What do you think?
eddievhfan1984

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 07:30:56 PM »

Capital idea. Although I would recommend using the Velcro tabs as the clickspots. And do we wanna keep them to scale in the cockpit, or have them oversized for readability?
abr35
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 02:45:43 PM »

Really like this idea! Part of what makes NASSP so deep is that all of the different instruments act as they are supposed to. The cue cards would help us monitor and understand those instruments during a maneuver. We would need those cue cards 'hollowed out' with a specific color I assume? Or would we want custom ones that look a little crisper?

Nice find with the onboard recording of an MCC. Flying NASSP gives a new level of understanding to the old transcripts and debriefings.
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 07:25:32 PM »

Hollowing out cue cards is step two in all of this. I have done some initial testing, but

And do we wanna keep them to scale in the cockpit, or have them oversized for readability?

this is a relevant point. I've started with the DAP Monitor Card, but it's tiny and you can barely see anything on it. I also haven't fully worked out how big that card actually is. The only CSM Cue Cards we have are from the Apollo 14 document linked above and for some reason there are also CSM Cue Cards in the Apollo 12 LM Rendezvous/Abort Book: http://history.nasa.gov/ap12fj/pdf/a12_lm_rab.pdf

So, maybe someone can work out the exact size of this card and then attempt to create a prototype for the cue card WITHOUT oversizing the text, just to see if it is feasible. I have done some of the programming already, so I can start playing around with any bitmaps that are being created.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: