Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 18, 2020, 09:09:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Gemini 060615 released!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Planning (Moderators: movieman, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  The great AGC++ purge: A proposal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: The great AGC++ purge: A proposal  (Read 3329 times)
meik84
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 07:23:22 AM »

But who uses metric in aerospace anyway
The CMC internally AFAIK; that imperial thing was just a concession to the astronauts, who where pilots and wanted to stay with the units they knew. The LVDC was completly metric.
Aren't US companies obliged to use metric when they contract with US government today? One thing that I still find most silly in the US is that some containers have 'odd' imperial, but round metric capacities. You Americans are already dealing with metric, but you'd never confess it... ROTFL
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 07:49:31 AM »

Oh, I just meant as a unit to be displayed to pilots/astronauts. That would have been the only difference noticable to a AGC++ user anyway. As an engineer I am well aware that most things are calculated in metric nowadays, here in Germany anyway. Documents about mass properties of the CSM still used scary units like "slug" or "stone". Very Happy Nowadays even most US companies work with SI units.

Aircraft that fly into Chinese airspace have to change their displayed altitude unit from feet to meters. And they have to slightly adjust the flight level, too, FL300 is not exactly a flight level in thousand meters. But in most other countries ft, ft/s and NM are the standard for these things. Russia is even transitioning to feet based flight levels.
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 09:09:23 AM »

De-Americanization? Was that just putting everything in metric?
No - Some people were offended that Apollo was an "American military" achievement and not instead an achievement of the entire world, or some other country. Everyone talks about the Americans landing on the moon, ignoring the fact that the major talent came from Germany, and that most of the tracking network was in other countries. Presenting the entire project as an American achievement is offensive and jingoistic. To atone for this, we were supposed to also allow replacement of the US flag and markings with those of the United Nations or other countries. This would allow those offended by the American items to replace them with something more to their liking.
eddievhfan1984

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 03:31:24 PM »

I see. I can understand that, although Eisenhower wanted to make sure NASA was a totally civilian operation (even if it did use military hardware in some cases).

It might be an issue, depending on what happens in the next four years, but we can worry about it later if no one's complaining.
jalexb88

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 04:07:31 PM »

My take on this is were aiming for realism, right? What the astronauts used in the instrumentation in the spacecraft and manuals and procedures, was all imperial units. I think trying to change it to metric would also create a nightmare since all the checklists and Apollo documentation is in feet, feet/sec, nautical miles, etc, etc. Why try and make it harder on ourselves?
meik84
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 05:02:34 PM »

But in most other countries ft, ft/s and NM are the standard for these things.
Well, german gliderpilots don't care about that. We use m, m/s and km(/h) since the old days at the Wasserkuppe when silly guys flipped sillier guys in even more sillier gliders in the air with a long bungee cord. Very Happy
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: