Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2020, 04:22:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Gemini 060615 released!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP News & Discussion (Moderators: movieman, Tschachim, Swatch, lassombra)
| | |-+  RIP Gene Cernan
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RIP Gene Cernan  (Read 1892 times)
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2017, 04:00:24 PM »

CNN just announced Gene Cernan has died.
rcflyinghokie

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 04:14:48 PM »

Just saw this and also a phone interview with Jim Lovell about him, Rest In Peace CAPT Cernan. Sad
FordPrefect
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 04:35:05 PM »

Very saddend by this news.

Apollo 17 is my favourite mission of all Apollo flights.

The initials of his daughter he inscribed into the moon dust prevail at Taurus-Littrow valley for eons to come...

Sorry

My Project Apollo work in progress:
* New detailed Lunar Module Ascent stage with virtual cockpit (VC currently planned as eye candy only) 18 % done

My Project Apollo work to be continued:
* new Service Module SPS engine bell
* various Saturn V textures, exhaust textures
* SIM Bay for the SM

My long-term plans are to create a:
* New detailed Lunar Module descent stage (eventually models of all flown LM's)
* New F-1 engines for the S-1C stage showing the foil (batting) insulation
* New LUT and launch pad (if nobody else does it)
almostfm

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 05:19:33 PM »

Only half of the moonwalkers are still with us.  At the rate we're (not) progressing, they'll all be gone by the time we put boots back on the Moon.  And while I'm sad at his loss and have sympathy for his family and friends, there's something else I'm feeling.

I'm angry.

We stopped going to the Moon because we "needed" the money for other things.  We had to fight a war in Southeast Asia: a war which we lost.  We needed a "war on poverty": a war which, after fighting it for 50 years, hasn't reduced the poverty rate.  But here was this amazing, incredible thing that we did, and did it successfully.  A thing which has provided spin-offs that we used every damn day of our lives.  That's what we chose to stop doing.

It's the fault of the American people, who were too short-sighted to see where this was going to lead.  It's the fault of Congress and every administration for not having the guts to say to the people-this is going to pay off far more than it's costing.

I really believe that when the history of this country is written in future centuries, stopping flights to the Moon and beyond are going to be seen as possibly the dumbest thing this country did.
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 07:38:34 PM »

I really believe that when the history of this country is written in future centuries, stopping flights to the Moon and beyond are going to be seen as possibly the dumbest thing this country did.

This, of course, assumes that people will be reading about this country's existence a thousand years from now...
1962: President (John F.) Kennedy announces that we're going to the Moon by 1970.

1969: We went to the Moon.

1971: President (Richard M.) Nixon decides that having beaten the Soviets, we're no longer interested in the Moon. NASA's budget is drastically reduced and manned spaceflight programs are cut or cancelled.

1989: President (George H.) Bush announces that we're going to Mars by 2020.

2004: President (George W.) Bush announces that we're going to the Moon by 2020. Then to Mars.

2015: President (Barack H.) Obama declares that we're no longer interested in going to the Moon. NASA's budget is drastically reduced and manned spaceflight programs are cut or cancelled.

2019: Chinese colonists working on the Moon decisively prove that the Apollo moon landings were a hoax by revealing the landing sites to be barren and untouched. Former employees of the recently-disbanded NASA have no comments. Chinese claim to the Moon is undisputed.

2020: President (Donald J.) Trump announces that the Chinese have agreed to allow us to send one American research crew to their new lunar launch facility, but only if we abandon all remaining manufacturing efforts and surrender the states of Alaska and Hawaii.

2024: To protect the peace of the North American region and avoid the threat of orbital bombardment by Chinese space-based weapons, the United States surrenders all remaining overseas assets to the newly-formed
People's Republic of Greater Asia. The two countries sign a twenty year nonaggression pact. President Trump makes a speech on the matter, noting that due to his superior negotiating skills "there will be peace. It will last a long time, and it will be great."

2027: President (Michael R.) Pence informs the surviving citizens of the country that the Moon has come to us - the Chinese are dropping asteroid-sized chunks of lunar debris and space colony ships on major population centers. Seventy precent of the population dies in the first twelve hours. The Chinese offer to stop their attacks in exchange for the unconditional surrender of the United States of America.

2034: The last surviving citizen of the United States dies in a forced labor camp on the Moon. The event is celebrated by the People's Republic of Earth as the final victory of the Communist People's Party.

2042: An American finally lands on Mars, although only symbolically. A statue of the final President of the United States, Michael R. Pence, is unveiled in the "Oppressors of the People" gallery at the Earth History Museum of the People's Republic of Mars.
eddievhfan1984

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 08:45:10 PM »

Maybe SpaceX and Google will set up a corporate oilgarchy that saves us all, albeit with less democracy. That might be the better choice.
meik84
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 05:01:10 AM »

Considering what China's doing now, it's rather going to buy-out the western world (a war's to expensive; the Chinese have understood that...). Karlchen Marx would've never thought that one day communism would beat capitalism at it's own game...
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 09:02:47 AM »

Well, it's easy to win if you don't have to play fair.
jalexb88

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 12:33:14 PM »

RIP Gene

I recommend everyone to check out his documentary "The Last Man on the Moon" its on netflix. One of the best Ive seen, very inspiring.
Vinny003

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 05:46:39 PM »

RIP Gene Cernan.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: