Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 26, 2020, 08:51:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo - NASSP 6.4.3 released!
http://nassp.sf.net
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Programming (Moderators: movieman, dseagrav, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Learning C++
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Learning C++  (Read 919 times)
abr35
Project Team Member

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2017, 10:08:04 PM »

Trying to learn the Orbiter SDK so I can pitch in on programming in a few months time. Have some basic programming knowledge, but little in C. For the purposes of working on NASSP what should I be most familiar with in C++? Got VS2017 and I've been using tutorials from learncpp.com. I've gotten down the basics of the first 2 chapters.
rcflyinghokie

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 07:22:40 AM »

I am in the same boat, I would love to help contribute to getting the LM up and running with a working ECS and C/W system (among other things of course)
dseagrav

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 05:37:37 PM »

I strongly suggest you learn C first, and then C++.

C is not necessarily more useful or profitable, but more things are derived from C than anything else. If you learn C++ or C# or such first, you then have to un-learn the differences between C++ and C to apply what you know to any other C-derived language, whereas if you learn C first, you can transition that knowledge directly to C++, C#, Objective-C, Java/Javascript, PHP, or any number of other C-derived languages.

eddievhfan1984

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 11:27:30 AM »

I'd have to agree with that, although my university starts with C++ or Java first, then you do C and x86 assembly at the same time later. haha

However, if you don't wanna spend all that time, going straight into C++ isn't that painful, but you will wanna make sure you thoroughly understand object-oriented programming, since the Orbiter SDK and our project depend on it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: