Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2017, 01:47:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Gemini 060615 released!
24443 Posts in 2077 Topics by 2260 Members
Latest Member: lricca
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP News & Discussion
| | |-+  Support & Bugs (Moderators: movieman, Tschachim, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  BPC not showing on LH RDV window
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: BPC not showing on LH RDV window  (Read 203 times)
rcflyinghokie

View Profile Email
« on: September 02, 2017, 04:59:21 PM »

As the title says, I noticed that the BPC doesn't block the #2 window (one with the COAS right now) but it blocks the others other than the hatch.  A little oversight perhaps?
abr35
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 06:47:58 PM »

The BPC had a small portal window over window 2 giving only the CDR a clear view. There are a few diagrams of it. Not sure why, but I guess in case the IU failed. Gene Cernan remarked in "In the Shadow of the Moon" that the CDR could have flown the stack into orbit using only the stars.
rcflyinghokie

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 03:42:29 AM »

The BPC had a small portal window over window 2 giving only the CDR a clear view. There are a few diagrams of it. Not sure why, but I guess in case the IU failed. Gene Cernan remarked in "In the Shadow of the Moon" that the CDR could have flown the stack into orbit using only the stars.

I thought only the hatch window was visible through the BPC, and not the rendezvous window.  But I guess there were 2 windows through it?  I never realized that!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 03:44:33 AM by rcflyinghokie » Logged
macieksoft

RSO we are go we wanna blow!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 01:21:53 PM »

From what i recall, when IU fails you still can transfer control to AGC and the AGC will be in control.

eddievhfan1984

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 10:42:58 PM »

The AGC just provides attitude error signals to the IU to drive the thrusters. It'll provide attitude hold, but not closed-loop launch guidance to orbit. That's between the stars/horizon and the P11 display to make that happen.
macieksoft

RSO we are go we wanna blow!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 03:16:50 PM »

Why stars/horizon when you have FDAI driven by 2 independent sources (IMU and GDC/BMAG or whatever you call it)?
Anyway if it was me flying to the orbit i would just abort and tell RSO to blow the remaining stack. PPL on the ground would be happy to watch the fireworks ;-)

eddievhfan1984

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 08:24:02 PM »

Imagine Apollo 12 with an IU fault on top of it. Better keep that alpha low, I tell ya what.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: