Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2020, 04:58:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Gemini 060615 released!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP News & Discussion (Moderators: movieman, Tschachim, Swatch, lassombra)
| | |-+  NASSP Interest from a Media Company...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: NASSP Interest from a Media Company...  (Read 1158 times)
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« on: December 21, 2017, 06:04:04 PM »

Hello all, long time, no post. 

TL;DR: I (and dseagrav) was approached recently by a representative of a media production company who is interested in talking with the NASSP developers and possibly licensing or using NASSP in their project.  Their project is purportedly an Apollo Engineering website/portal for the 50th anniversary, sponsored by Draper Labs.  I am currently in communication with the representative and am investigating further.  As I get more information, I'll put it here and the development team can discuss.

Initial Email
Jason,

Hello I am a media producer working on an Apollo Engineering website/portal for the 50th anniversary. I would very much like to speak to you or one of your team members about this project and this project as I am interested in licensing or commissioning or licensing a game related to the AGC and lunar lander.

I can be reached via email: #########@sugarfilms.co.uk or mobile phone ###PHONE NUMBER REDACTED###. I am based in the U.S. - EST. I have also sent a message to (sic:) dseagrav.

Best
Sue

My Response
Hello Sue, I'm a little out of the loop with the project recently, but I've reached out to the other developers to discuss your proposal.  Can you share anything more about the nature of the project? We are, of course, always excited about public outreach regarding the Apollo Program.

~Jason

Her Response
Sure I am working with Draper (formerly MIT Instrumentation Lab) on a major website portal experience that will share the stories and imagery, video from the engineers who developed the AGC, and guidance, navigation and control systems for Apollo. .  We are currently curating thousands of never before seen photo and video assets and intend to include interactive features and mobile apps to enhance the experience, i.e. landing or navigation simulation experiences, engineering challenges, etc. etc.  In addition, we are producing a great deal of videos and oral histories and curating acquired content etc.

I am happy to provide more info or answer any questions you might have, we can schedule a call with you or other team members if you wish.

Best
Sue
###PHONE NUMBER REDACTED###

Anyway, I'm excited about the possibility here, but I don't want to overcommit or speak without input from the active development team.  Anyway, I'll continue talking with here, but if anyone has any comments, questions, or observations, please discuss them here.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
 -VC (~75% complete: texture work beginning again; mesh-78%; texture-70%)
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

Future Work:  (if it's here, it's deemed unnecessary to upcoming release)

Older Work:  (if it's here, it's fair game to whoever wants to improve)
EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
EMS scrolls (committed: not refined, but usable)
SM Visual (committed: mesh-finished, texture-60%; possibly revisited in future)
J2 Texture (commited: room for improvement)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
eddievhfan1984

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 06:50:44 PM »

I personally like the idea, but at the same time, I have concerns.

• Are they talking about just using NASSP footage as part of their website (which they could totally do), or do they want to try and embed Orbiter-like features into it (significantly more difficult)?
  • Will this play nice with the license NASSP is released under?
  • Have they approached Ron Burkey regarding vAGC as well? We'd definitely need his input, as his code is very much entwined with ours.
  • Will this in anyway add additional pressure or time constraints to the 8.0 timeline?

Maybe a bit too much assembly for something that's still a design document, but those are some of the thoughts off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 06:53:46 PM by eddievhfan1984 » Logged
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 11:56:08 PM »

The only things they can't do are:

1) Redistribute Orbiter without Doc Martin's permission (Doc Martin's license forbids this)
2) Redistribute NASSP together with Orbiter in the same archive (Our license forbids this, since Orbiter itself isn't GPL-compatible, and Doc Martin forbids this anyway)
3) Redistribute NASSP without indicating where the source can be accessed (Our license forbids this)
4) Redistribute NASSP under a different name or otherwise obscuring its source and license (Our license *REALLY* forbids this)
5) Make changes to NASSP and then redistribute it without providing source for their changes (Our license *REALLY* *REALLY* forbids this)

All else should be permitted. This includes selling it for real moneys on physical media. The GPL is a redistribution license, not a usage license. Neither we nor the GPL place any restrictions on usage. vAGC has the same license as we do, so if it's kosher with us it should be kosher with Ron too (and vice versa).

Unless we or Doc Martin says otherwise, in-game footage of Orbiter and/or NASSP is freely usable. As far as I am aware there are no restrictions there.
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 05:38:13 AM »

Independently from whatever NASSP may be used for, with the current pace of progress we should have a NASSP version ready for the 50th anniversary for all the Apollo flights that allow flying those missions in full without too many issues. That's where NASSP is headed right now anyway.

I'm always interested in new uses for NASSP (like e.g. connecting a physical DSKY to it), so as long the proposals wouldn't lead us in an entirely different development direction we can certainly assists in setting up NASSP for whatever they are planning to use it for. As dseagrav and eddievhfan1984 said, as long as it is compatible with our license etc. And getting in touch with the Draper Lab in some way might open up some ways to get some new source material for us and the Virtual AGC project.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: