Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2020, 08:27:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo - NASSP 6.4.3 released!
http://nassp.sf.net
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development (Moderators: movieman, Tschachim, Swatch, lassombra)
| | |-+  Apollo 11 PTC procedures
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Apollo 11 PTC procedures  (Read 843 times)
lotisully86

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2018, 12:38:29 AM »

Currently the only procedure we have is for the ptc established in scs, however the flight plan calls for the ptc to be established in g&n. Can only find a few partial references to this procedure in post flight report and flight transcripts. For example:

“151:52:27 McCandless: Mike, over here on page 9-7 of your checklist where we're setting up PTC, there's been a note penciled in after: 'Wait 20 minutes for rate to damp. Do not monitor Verb 16, Noun 20.' It turns out that the significance of that is that, if you are monitoring 16 Noun 20, then when you get down here in step 7, the second time you do a Verb 24, you've got to reload the Noun 01, to make it 'Verb 24, Noun 01, Enter', before you load the three registers. Over.”

After the Apollo 8 checklists I haven’t found any procedure for ptc until Apollo 14. On Apollo 14 they had a program, i believe p79 off the top of my head, and 15-17 they used p20 to establish the ptc. Just curious if anybody had come across the actual procedure they would have used on Apollo 10-13.
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 06:28:51 AM »

All I know is that there wasn't a program or extended verb for PTC until Apollo 14. The Apollo 11 Technical Debriefing doesn't say any more than the transcript you quoted, just Armstrong suggesting that a program for PTC should be added to the CMC, which of course happened a few missions later. The debriefing also confirms that the G&N was used to initiate PTC. I can only imagine that this was a manual procedure using the RHC and certain switch settings.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: