Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 12, 2019, 12:28:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Gemini 060615 released!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP News & Discussion (Moderators: movieman, Tschachim, Swatch, lassombra)
| | |-+  NASSP moving to Orbiter Forum?
« previous next »
Poll
Question: Should NASSP development be moved to the Orbiter Forum?
Yes, we should do that - 10 (90.9%)
No, we should stay here - 0 (0%)
No, let's have a separate forum for ourselves - 1 (9.1%)
Other - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: NASSP moving to Orbiter Forum?  (Read 1119 times)
indy91

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2018, 12:50:58 PM »

Because of continuing issues with access to this forum, I have sent an initial request to the admins of the Orbiter Forum, if NASSP could get its own subsection of the forum there. The reply was that we would be very welcome, if we decided to move the NASSP development forums there. So I created this thread to discuss that topic.

I believe it would be our best option to move into a subforum of the Orbiter Forum. This forum only works sporadically right now (for me at least), new user registration is annoying because of the manual process required for it and because there rarely is any admin active here anyway. And I believe moving to the main english speaking forum about Orbiter would also be good to show that NASSP and Orbiter have active development on-going. This forum is a great resource of old posts that always help with development, so I am very much in favour of keeping this forum alive, at least as a archive of old NASSP development threads. But a forum with active admins and an active community is the better solution for NASSP in the future, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:11:40 PM by indy91 » Logged
thewonderidiot

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 01:47:20 PM »

I'm totally on board with moving to the Orbiter forum. It took me 6 tries to view this thread, 2 to vote in the poll, and 4 to get to the "post a reply" screen. It would be really nice to have an existing, maintained forum that handles technical issues, user registration, and all that for us. I also think that it might potentially help with attracting new developers. Thumbs Up
Thymo

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 02:00:14 PM »

While I personally would love to maintain a self hosted forum I think realistically that won't be a good idea.
  • We'd need to get a domain name
  • A place to host. (I could do this, but I tend to take my box down for maintenance relatively often)
  • What if the person administrating it disappears
  • It would be yet another obstacle for people to know we are not dead

So moving to the Orbiter forum that already has a solid community sounds like a good plan.
The current forum is blatantly insecure and unstable. It would be very counterproductive to continue using it.
One thing I'd like to be explored is the preservation of posts on this forum before moving/taking this forum down. It would be unfortunate for years of discussion to be lost.

I'm for moving NASSP to the Orbiter forum.
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 08:23:36 PM »

I might not be able to get BuildBot to post there, but that's a minor inconvenience at best.
Thymo

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 12:58:15 PM »

@dseagrav

We had a discussion about BuildBot a while back. We could let it post to the IRC channel.
Also the log should be available through Github still.
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 10:59:10 PM »

@dseagrav

We had a discussion about BuildBot a while back. We could let it post to the IRC channel.
Also the log should be available through Github still.

I remember, I just reposted it here in case anyone interested wasn't there at the time we had the discussion.
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 03:43:54 AM »

Seems like the vote was won 10:1 for moving to the Orbiter Forum. Obviously our current forum is trolling us right now, because I have experienced no issues at all in the last 4 weeks. But I am sure the issues will come back eventually. I'll talk to the Orbiter Forum admins to start the process of giving us a developer section!
Thymo

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 03:07:17 PM »

Maybe this is a way for it to beg us to stay.
Thymo

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 04:34:09 AM »

Sub-forum is up!
https://www.orbiter-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102
macieksoft

RSO we are go we wanna blow!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 12:34:43 PM »

Seems like the vote was won 10:1 for moving to the Orbiter Forum. Obviously our current forum is trolling us right now, because I have experienced no issues at all in the last 4 weeks. But I am sure the issues will come back eventually. I'll talk to the Orbiter Forum admins to start the process of giving us a developer section!
Well, it was almost like vote in EU parliament some time ago.
Funny that i was the only one who voted for own forum ;-)

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: