Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2020, 12:10:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Gemini 060615 released!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Modeling (Moderators: movieman, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  [Question] MeshLand implementation in Crawler?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: [Question] MeshLand implementation in Crawler?  (Read 2587 times)
orbiterfan
Project Team Member

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2006, 01:58:59 PM »

I was thinking that if MeshLand could be implemented into the Crawler, then the problem with the Crawler sinking into the crawlerway and concrete hardstands at the pads could be solved.

Is there anything that stands against this? Also, an speed-indicator for the CT would be nice. Oh, the mass of the CT is currently wrong. Currently it weighs 2721 kg. The real CT weighs 2721000 kg.
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 05:08:03 PM »

Very good idea, I'm already working on it.  Happy If you enable meshland you'll experience strange behavior of the ML and the crawler, so I have to change them because of meshland anyway. By the way: It would be great if you can have a look at the crawlerway meshes because of this "spherical mapping" problem. I still would like to try to split them into more, smaller pieces.

What for a speed indicator are you thinking about? A panel or VC with it?

Thanks for pointing out the crawler mass! I'll take a look at it, I fear I have to recalibrate the propulsion forces, so this will take some time.

Cheers
Tschachim

orbiterfan
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 06:03:10 PM »

Very good idea, I'm already working on it.  Happy If you enable meshland you'll experience strange behavior of the ML and the crawler, so I have to change them because of meshland anyway.

Is this in the Jan. 06 beta module release? I can't compile the sources myself.

By the way: It would be great if you can have a look at the crawlerway meshes because of this "spherical mapping" problem. I still would like to try to split them into more, smaller pieces.

I'll have look at this when the LUT/ML is complete.

What for a speed indicator are you thinking about? A panel or VC with it?

For now, just an indicator on the HUD or an debug text string outlining the speed in historical MPH.

If you could try to get an outline of the current Crawler cab mesh, I could make a decent and realistic VC for it.

Thanks for pointing out the crawler mass! I'll take a look at it, I fear I have to recalibrate the propulsion forces, so this will take some time.

OK. Also, could you maybe implement an fine steering mode, like 10% RCS impulse mode when you hold down the Ctrl key in spacecrafts? This is usefull for steering when in high time acceleration modes.
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 09:36:44 AM »

My meshland stuff isn't even in CVS at the moment, still working on it...

The fine steering mode is a very good idea, I'll do it as you suggested. Happy

... and it looks like you answered the speed indicator question in a very impressive way Wink, the VC in the other thread looks great! Happy Happy I never did the coding for a VC up to now, but I'm sure it will make a lot of fun and we can also steer the CT with it!  

I'm not sure what you mean with "outline", do you still need it? I ask because your VC mesh looks very well and correctly?

Cheers
Tschachim

orbiterfan
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 09:48:21 AM »

My meshland stuff isn't even in CVS at the moment, still working on it...

OK.

The fine steering mode is a very good idea, I'll do it as you suggested. Happy

Great! It will reall come handy, as steering the crawler right is like steering a runaway freight train travelling on ice! You can steer it, but it's very hard to keep it travelling in a somewhat straight line.

... and it looks like you answered the speed indicator question in a very impressive way Wink, the VC in the other thread looks great! Happy Happy I never did the coding for a VC up to now, but I'm sure it will make a lot of fun and we can also steer the CT with it!

Yes.

I'm not sure what you mean with "outline", do you still need it? I ask because your VC mesh looks very well and correctly?

I mean like an simple cube mesh that has the shape and size of the of Crawler cab. Currently the panel is very oversized and most probably(I really hope not!) unproportional to the cab.
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 11:39:03 AM »

Quote from: orbiterfan
I mean like an simple cube mesh that has the shape and size of the of Crawler cab. Currently the panel is very oversized and most probably(I really hope not!) unproportional to the cab.

OK, I understand and I'll try to do something like this. In which format do you need it? I think I can do .msh and .gmax, perhaps other formats, too, if I can find converters.

Cheers
Tschachim

orbiterfan
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 11:46:55 AM »

If you could get it into GMAX format, that would be great!
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 09:21:34 AM »

Please check your lycos email, I sent some crawler gmax files to you, I hope they are useful...

Cheers
Tschachim

orbiterfan
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 12:36:51 PM »

Got them, thanks! Now I'll be able to scale everything more properly.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: