Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 10, 2020, 04:11:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Gemini 060615 released!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Modeling (Moderators: movieman, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Apollo Spacecraft Components Meshing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Apollo Spacecraft Components Meshing  (Read 78238 times)
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« on: March 09, 2006, 12:52:47 PM »

OK...the new boost cover is done.

Complete with better materials, and transparent windows. I also corrected a few corrupted portions of the mesh. I hope the windows look good, I think I may have added too much gold tint, but you guys tell me.

It just replaces the current one, so no adjustments necessary.

http://swatch.homeip.net/BoostCover.msh

Next on my list is a new SM with SIM bay and some interior for the A13 explosion.  I also hope to set it up for easy HG animation...I'm talking with missleman on the best way to do that.

After that, which could be many months away, I'll work on the LM or CM...your choice.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 09:23:07 AM by Tschachim » Logged

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
 -VC (~75% complete: texture work beginning again; mesh-78%; texture-70%)
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

Future Work:  (if it's here, it's deemed unnecessary to upcoming release)

Older Work:  (if it's here, it's fair game to whoever wants to improve)
EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
EMS scrolls (committed: not refined, but usable)
SM Visual (committed: mesh-finished, texture-60%; possibly revisited in future)
J2 Texture (commited: room for improvement)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 01:06:23 PM »

I'll add it to CVS tonight unless anyone prefers the old mesh Happy.
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 02:03:51 PM »

Does it really use 21 textures?
Christophe
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 03:47:39 PM »

Congratulations Swatch. New mesh is beautifull. Thanks.
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 05:55:26 PM »

no...it doesnt'....I must have forgotten to weed out the extra ones from importing the command module.   I'll correct that, don't CVS it yet, I'll get a corrected one up on the server.

To be honest...it doesn't use a single texture.....and I'm looking at it now, it has too many Materials too...this is my unedited one...I must have saved over the other.  I'll correct this.  Apologies.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 07:24:46 PM »

Alright...it's updated...go ahead and commit it...there should be no textures and only 7 materials now.

Don't forget to redownload it from my server.

http://swatch.homeip.net/boostcover.msh

Size should be about 537k.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 07:56:59 PM »

Phantastic work Swatch! Just looks like the real one Very Happy

Hope we'll get the cover simulated for our 2D panels soon too. Bitmaps included already Wink
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 09:48:00 PM »

BTW, at some point you may want to add the canards Happy. We'll need them eventually to fully simulate Apollo.
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 11:07:12 PM »

Canards are modelled in there as their own seperate groups (left and right)

I'm one step ahead of ya! :lol:

Look through the mesh file and you'll see which group they are.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 01:40:01 AM »

Ok...I couldn't resist, You guys get a little tidbit of what I did tonight. I have finals all next week, so I won't get this done within the week, but I spent tonight getting all the basic stuff done.  Next comes the hard part.

Hope you guys like it!

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

Christophe
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 08:20:35 AM »

Amazing!
you can identify propellant tanks, O2 tanks and the 2 fuel cells!
Should be a hard work...
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 08:32:15 AM »

Could you make the SPS a seperate mesh too? I'd like to add the gimballing to it.

Also you could make the interior tanks seperate meshes so we can add them when required (no point rendering them if they're invisible behind the side panel), and simulate the SM breaking up on re-entry Happy.

P.S. How many polygons is this mesh? I know the current SM is a lot, and slows Orbiter down significantly on low-end machines. It would be great if you could produce a low-res version too for slow PCs, even if just by using the automated polygon-reducing tools that most 3D modelling programs seem to have.
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 09:23:04 AM »

rgr that movieman...I'd planned on making it in different flavors for just that reason. It's just easier for me to make the entire thing and then seperate it so that everything fits together nicely. I was also wondering what would be the best for the programmers to make it easily animated. If seperate meshes are what you need, I can do that.

Poly Count is still relatively low, I already took out a lot of them. There's definately still a lot that can be cut off though.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

movieman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 09:27:39 AM »

Well, there's no reason to have less polygons than the current SM for the 'high-res' version, but it would be good if we could have a 'low-res' version too which was a lot more efficient and less detailed.
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2006, 10:09:25 AM »

Also I'm pretty sure the current SM isn't causing the slowdown to orbiter, the CM is actually a great deal more complicated than the SM, even so, there's a fair amount of polys.  You want to give me a ballpark range for polys in the Hi-res and Lo-Res versions?

I meant to ask what coordinate system you guys would like it alligned with.  Right now it's alligned with it's real coordinate system with the umbilical along the axis, however this offsets the RCS thrusters 7 degrees around the outside (as seen in overhead view.

Finally, if you really want to simulate breakup, I'll need to seperate the meshes out a lot, so would you perhaps want them all in a seperate folder or will that cause problems?

I figured I'd seperate it out like this:  (all coordinate systems relative to current SM coordinate system unless otherwise noted)

~Main Structure (not including access panels) with RCS and CM attach (1 mesh for both Hi and Lo Res)
~Seperate Access Panels for each Bay with attached hardware (6 panels for Hi-Res Version, 3 meshes for Lo-Res which wont allow access to the SPS propellent tanks, only the SIM bay and the Fuel cell bay, aka A13 explosion)
~SPS Tanks (3 meshes, one helium bottle, one sump tank, and one storage tank that can then be replicated and rotated 180 degrees to produce the oposing side)
~SPS Engine (1 mesh up to and including the gimble, this will be on its own coordinate system relative to the gimble
~High-Gain Antenna (1 mesh, this will also be on it's own coordinate system relative to it's attach-point)
~Bay 1 SIM bay on later missions (1 mesh, possible a second lower-res version if needed)
~Bay 4 Fuel Cells  (2 meshes, hi-res and one low-res exploded mesh for A13, if desired a second unexploded mesh can be created)
~EVA Light boom/antenna A17 (1 mesh)

Total: 19 meshes

High-Res (no interior-Apollos 7,9,10,11,12,13(unexploded),14): 9 meshes
High-Res (SIM Bay-Apollos 15,16,17+): 14 meshes
High-Res (Apollo 13): 13 meshes  (ironic huh?)
Lo-Res (no interior): 6 meshes
Lo-Res (SIM Bay): 7 meshes
Breakup on Entry: 23 meshes (tanks are cloned)

It's pretty complicated, but it'll be very versitile.  Additional failures can be simulated occuring in any one of the 6 bays, and people can make their own SIM package.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: