Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2020, 07:27:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo Beta 7.0 released!
http://nassp.sf.net/wiki/Installation
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Modeling (Moderators: movieman, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Apollo Spacecraft Components Meshing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Apollo Spacecraft Components Meshing  (Read 79251 times)
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2006, 09:43:44 PM »

I thought about that, but I'm not sure how it was handled in real life, I can verify that the offset exists, but I'm not sure how it affected handling.

I'm assuming that the slight angle was just corrected for by the pilot or computer, after all, they were good at what they did.

Has anyone run across some code in the computer that doesn't work well with the current RCS setup?  I know some of the auto-control programs have been giving people problems.  I wonder if the computer is trying to correct for the offset that doesn't exist, so when it calculates what to fire, it creates unpredicted errors.

EDIT:

There is not a single mention of this offest causing any sort of problems, but I agree with you, it would have to have some effect.  I wish there were some way to talk to someone who actually flew the damn thing.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
 -VC (~75% complete: texture work beginning again; mesh-78%; texture-70%)
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

Future Work:  (if it's here, it's deemed unnecessary to upcoming release)

Older Work:  (if it's here, it's fair game to whoever wants to improve)
EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
EMS scrolls (committed: not refined, but usable)
SM Visual (committed: mesh-finished, texture-60%; possibly revisited in future)
J2 Texture (commited: room for improvement)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2006, 11:30:43 AM »

BTW, I checked in the meshes a while ago, I'll probably check in a preliminary version of the code tonight unless I find major bugs.

For the moment the RCS thrusters are in the right place, but still point in the same direction as the old thrusters: that will need to be fixed.
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2006, 01:45:15 AM »

now that the meshes are done, I'm working on retexturing/texturing them (without much luck as of yet)  

Also, I came across an interesting occurance....

When you abort shortly after liftoff (Mode 1A), the Astronauts pick a new seating arrangement....

Also i don't think I can get the LES to release from the capsule...but that's not nearly as funny as the floating hatch and phasing astronauts! :lol:  :lol:

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
Redburne
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2006, 03:58:39 AM »

Looks like massive deceleration trauma ...  Very Happy

And who needs explosive bolts on the hatch if an astronaut's head can do the same?
NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2006, 10:34:30 PM »

Yeah that's a bug I noticed month ago. Also the exhaust flames have to be fixed (correct positions). Would ne very great to see that fixed Very Happy
Christophe
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2006, 05:18:27 AM »

Hi apollo fans!
Got obviously the same bug as you concerning wrong meshes following abort mode I.
I do confirm also that the LET fails to automatically jettison after abort fire.
Worse, the jettison is also impossible using the manual switches.
 Crying or Very sad
So the abort mode IA/B/C are quite simple in virtual Apollo: push the abort pb and wait for crashing on ground! Shocked
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2006, 07:36:16 AM »

Did you arm the pyros (and ELS?) before the abort?

Haven't had time to check in the changes because I had horrid flu for the last few days.

P.S. To be honest, I'm surprised the abort stuff works at all, since it's almost completely untested!
Christophe
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2006, 08:22:38 AM »

Did you arm the pyros (and ELS?) before the abort?

Affirm.
I guess all my systems are configured properly cause I spent the week to rewrite the AOH prelaunch procedures.

BTW another wrong behaviour concerns abort mode II.
As soon as you have pushed the abort pb (that takes place of the THC counterclockwise action), the CSM separates from the LV but the SPS ignites automatically. According to documentation, this is wrong. The SPS doesn't ignite automatically in any abort mode. Separation is manually performed by thrusting +X with THC.
For the moment, the solution would be in separating from LV by using normal covered switch.
Also, once landed, main chutes doesn't released automatically.
And main release switch seems to be inopperative, too.
P.S. To be honest, I'm surprised the abort stuff works at all, since it's almost completely untested

By the days of 6.4.2, all worked well.
May be some changes have destroyed the functionality a bit, in 7 beta.
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2006, 01:31:39 PM »

Ok, I have SM (SwatchModule Wink ) ver. 2.0 into orbiter and offsets corrected.  Fair warning though, there are some odd material colors I know, I'll work on them sometime.  For instance....

Who knew Fuel Cells were blue?    Rolling Eyes

Also the SM now has two flavors of RCS thrusters a hi and lo res...but they're not implemented...only hi res is set up right now, but both meshes will be in CVS.

Other things that you'll be getting when CVS goes back up are...

Redone Crew meshes and offsets....I fixed the offset problem with the abort (not for the hatch and camera though)  The Crewmembers have real eyes now and not a plain face.  at the cost of about 50 more polys we have one browneyed LMP, a greeneyed CDR, and a blueeyed CMP.  It always freaked me out how they didnt' have eyes.  They also fit in their couches better.

Redone CM mesh.  Mostly interior work here, the couches ACTUALLY FIT the crewmembers, the THC is properly rotated and not vertical anymore, the mainpanel texture in VC is more realistic (not cut off at edges) and all the CM's are the same shape (evidently the CMb mesh thought the CM was .25 meters taller...looked funky)

Cleaned up BoostCover mesh.  Mostly just to make the boostcover and CM fit with the SM umbilical.

other than that, I just want to say I caught myself admiring these in orbiter....don't want to sound stuck up or anything...but this is the first time I've ever been satisfied by my meshes (SM exterior,CM and Crew...the SM interior stuff needs lots of work)  I can't wait to upload these and see what you guys think.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

movieman

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2006, 02:13:25 PM »

BTW, one oddity is that the umbilical arm from the SM goes through the CM when they seperate: I don't know whether there's any way to animate that.
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2006, 02:18:26 PM »

probably is, but I wouldn't know where to put the code.  I can figure out the animation part, but I don't know where you'd put that code

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

movieman

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2006, 02:28:58 PM »

It would just go in the SM DLL in the timestep code: save away the angle relative to the SM, and if it hasn't fully moved back then increase the angle by some multiple of the time since the last timestep.

You'd also need to save it in the scenario file and set the animation to the correct angle when the scenario is re-loaded.

Actually, you might be able to use the animation support in Orbiter itself, and just set the animation up when the SM is created (e.g. rotate through ninety degrees over one second, or whatever).
Christophe
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2006, 04:58:21 AM »

The Crewmembers have real eyes now and not a plain face. at the cost of about 50 more polys we have one browneyed LMP, a greeneyed CDR, and a blueeyed CMP

Great news!
While I'm a greeneyes guy, I'll take place of the CDR! Cool

sounds like a great work Swatch. Can'"t wait to test it.
Unfortunately cvs is still down for me Sad
Eddie

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2006, 05:36:10 PM »

CVS Checkout is working here, just got the whole 185 MB package! Still have Mr Clean's evil brothers as crewmen though,LOL

eddie Happy
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2006, 08:55:39 PM »

CVS still down for me.   Crying or Very sad

But if you want to see something REALLY funny, detach the SM from the CM and check it out.   I corrected the mesh offsets when I animated the umbilical (yes it's done!  Very Happy ), but if you have the new SM, you can get a big kick outta it's actions.

BTW, movieman, I'm ecstatic that you did the SM class, so don't think that I'm complaining...it was just very amusing!  :lol:

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: