Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2020, 07:39:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Modeling (Moderators: movieman, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Apollo Spacecraft Components Meshing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Apollo Spacecraft Components Meshing  (Read 79252 times)
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2006, 06:19:46 PM »

I would say the upper limit for the CSM would be about the same number of polygons as we currently have.... not sure how many that is, but I think it's something like 60,000?

As for alignment, I'd guess we could go with the real coordinates and rotate the thruster positions appropriately. That will require a bit of work though.
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2006, 06:07:34 PM »

well...I have some more bad news for all you programmers...

The new SM is also corrected for size, so it's about 3/4 foot shorter than the current one along with other discrepencies, shown here.

The only good thing to come of this is that it may solve your issues with control and center of mass...or it might make them worse, I'm not sure.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
 -VC (~75% complete: texture work beginning again; mesh-78%; texture-70%)
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

Future Work:  (if it's here, it's deemed unnecessary to upcoming release)

Older Work:  (if it's here, it's fair game to whoever wants to improve)
EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
EMS scrolls (committed: not refined, but usable)
SM Visual (committed: mesh-finished, texture-60%; possibly revisited in future)
J2 Texture (commited: room for improvement)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2006, 11:08:10 PM »

Shocked Looks amazing Very Happy Great idea to simulate the SPS engine gimbaling. Can't wait to see the stuff in orbiter Wink
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2006, 12:48:23 AM »

Hmm, ok my SIM bay is gonna be really lame.  I'm bad at non-specific details like that (if you don't know what i mean by non-specific details, look in the CM, it's full of cool stuff like that)

Perhaps somebody with more artistic skills than I at meshing can put together a realistic SIM bay in the future, but for now it's gonna be pretty basic looking.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2006, 09:50:26 AM »

I'd go for realism over convenience: should only take a couple of days to get all the mesh offsets correct.

Particularly if we do end up with a lower-res mesh than the current one even with more detail: that'll help frame-rates, since Orbiter seems to have a hard time pushing vertices. My new graphics card is 3x faster than the old one, but NASSP runs at exactly the same frame-rate in Orbiter.
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2006, 02:44:42 PM »

GREAT news... The core of the SM is only 7000 polys....I was expecting this to be the largest mesh and was predicting almost 15000 polys but I managed to kill off a large number of the extras without hurting it's looks.  Also I checked it, the current SM mesh is over 41000 polys....YUCK!! I'll definately come up short of that.  

Ok, the link is up, all you have with this one is something that you can use to correct the height offsets.  I'll get the RCS pods up next so you can start reorienting the thrusters.

http://swatch.homeip.net/SM-core.msh

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2006, 04:49:07 PM »

RCS Pods are up...they have a fair amout of polys (~17000) but I redid them so that they only had a third the polys of their originals.  (there were 36000 polys locked up in the nozzles of the old RCS)  Sooner or later I figured we'd split these into 4 seperate pods to allow more versitility, aka an RCS Quad Failure/explosion and breakup on entry.  For the time being, this should give you coders enough fits with the offsets, so enjoy.  The mesh is on the same coordinates as the Core.  All you have to do is call the mesh in at the same relative location as the Core and everything will line up.

Next comes the gimbling engine....

http://swatch.homeip.net/SM-RCS.msh

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2006, 05:35:46 PM »

Ok, last one of the day guys..... The SPS!

This one tops out at around 3000 polys.  With only the outer panels to go, I'm pretty sure the new SM will pale in comparison. Even in Hi-Res mode with all tanks and bays it should be at worst comparable to what we use now.

This one is a different coordinate system.  It's all centered at the point of gimbling (which you see in the video at the bottom).  This should allow the animators to just rotate the mesh to make it gimbel.

The approximate offsets to make it line up with the SM mesh are as follows.

Z-axis (up and down):  -2.465
Y-axis (would be axis going through Hatch and Umbilical):  0.125
X-axis (goes through the yaw thrusters on the CM):  -0.017

No pretty picture, but I have a video for you of what it might look like to gimble the engine in space.  (I cheated and did it in Gmax)

http://swatch.homeip.net/Gimble%20Engine.wmv

http://swatch.homeip.net/SM-SPS.msh

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

movieman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2006, 07:28:30 PM »

I'll have a go at getting this working over the next week or two.

One thing we will need to add is a SM DLL to stick the appropriate meshes together, but that would be a good idea anyway.
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2006, 09:14:07 PM »

So I have one of the RCS thrusters pointing almost directly at the umbilical: is that correct?
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2006, 09:56:17 PM »

negative.... the umbilical is along the main axis, while the thruster is offset by 7 degrees around the SM.  This should offset it just enough to clear the umbilical....although in a vacuum I can easily see the plume brushing against the umbilical.  The RCS panels should also align with the interior sector deviders.  It should look like this.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

movieman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2006, 10:07:15 PM »

Yeah, that's what I mean: in a vacuum the exhaust will spread out a lot and much of it will hit the umbilical.
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2006, 11:08:54 PM »

This occured to me as well, but it's in the 'blueprints' that way.  Also check out these pictures, they didn't seem to worry too much about it....

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2006, 01:00:27 PM »

OK, this should be all you need for the initial SM support, in the following zip file are all the panels.  Same basic idea as the RCS pods...if you call these meshes in at the same coordinates as the SM-core mesh then everything will line up.  All the panels are seperate meshes and hold around or less than 1000 polys each.  After this, I'll start working on the HGA, the A13 explosion, the SIM bay, and the propellant tanks, in that order.  Those last few aren't very important though.

http://swatch.homeip.net/SM-Panels.zip

Just tell me if you need anything changed.

PS. The reason the RCS is a different mesh is because I plan on doing a lower res mesh for them.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

movieman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2006, 08:04:28 PM »

One issue I thought of today: if the RCS isn't lined up with the Orbiter axes, then it's not going to work properly in translation modes. Forward/back will work, but if you try to go left or right you'll also go up and down, and vice-versa.

Other than that, I have the basic mesh in Orbiter, but it still needs a lot of testing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: