Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2020, 01:54:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Gemini 060615 released!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Programming (Moderators: movieman, dseagrav, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  AGC Update Pack 1 - a view of what's coming
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: AGC Update Pack 1 - a view of what's coming  (Read 5525 times)
RMaia
Project Team Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 15, 2005, 08:37:30 AM »

This is what I am working at implementing in the AGC:

LM Ascent Auto Pilot (LMAAP) V4.
LM CSI  program (P32) - This program is for aligning orbital planes
LM CDH program (P33) - Used for raising the LM's orbit after insertion
LM External DeltaV program (P30) - Generic DeltaV burns
CSM External DeltaV program (P30) - Generic DeltaV burns, but for the CSM stack (the code is different from the LM P30)
As well as all the supporting features required by these programs.

As can be seen, there's going to be more things than just the LMAAP, so I decided to change the name.Wink
The LMAAP V4 is as realistic as I could make it, uses about the same guidance logic of the real LM as well as input interfacing, and has some other improvements as well. It is already done and ready, but what's keeping the release is the other programs, namely the control code (that's my old nightmare), but in the last few days I managed to make some important progress in that area (I am trying to centralize the control code, except the LMAAP control, in a single function, so it's going to be more stable, but what I headache). As a result, the beta release for testing may be out in the next few days.

Then, for update pack 2 (yes, we need to think high Wink), the reentry autopilot is planned.

Oh, and I will include more descriptive documentation, so it will be easier to "get the hang" of it. Happy

Rodrigo Merce Maia

- Sometimes, simplicity is the best answer to complexity.

Physics is FUN!
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 09:22:31 AM »

Neat!

If you run out of other things to do, you might want to look at integrating the LEM descent autopilot as well, if LazyD doesn't have time to do so. I had a quick go but didn't really understand enough of what it was doing.
gimp1992

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 10:16:09 AM »

Sounds fantastic! Thanks for all the hard work it is appreciated.

Joe Brown
Cale

cale905@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 11:06:26 AM »

Looking forward to trying it out...once again, great job to one and all for making this add-on so great!

Cheers,

Cale

"Quarter-million miles from home, diarhhea's nothing to sneeze at". - Chuck Berry

"I know...man, it's gotta smell bad up there" - Chris Kraft
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 06:57:55 AM »

Hi RMaia,

that's very cool and interesting news!
Phantastic new features  Very Happy  Very Happy !

Since the CVS is ready now I hope you got it working.
If you have problems or need support, just post.

Greetings

Tschachim

RMaia
Project Team Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 09:39:33 PM »

I really appreciate your support!!
It's what gives me inspiration to continue at the toughest times.Happy

The way things are converging well, by the weekend the beta release may be out. Yesterday and today I spent wrting the documentation for it. Now it is pretty much complete, covering every aspect of the AGC I could think of writing about, so far it's 28 pages long and 90% done. My hope with it is that it will provide a better understanding of the AGC usage, even fot those that come across it for the first time.

Now, there's only finalizing work left. The control code effort finally came out succesfull, I think I came up with a code that is able to control efficiently the spacecraft (both the LM and the CSM), althogh it time acceleration is used things will mess up. But that's only a issue when the RCS thrusters are being fired, so at these times time acc shoudn't be neede anyway.

The ideal thing would be to implement something like the Orbiter navmodes, which are stable even in 100x acc... But I don't have the slightest idea of how that code is implemented so, it's still a dream I'm afraid. Sad

BTW, about the CVS stuff. I read a little about it and I think I have a general idea of what it is, although I haven't really got serious about it to be honest. Embarassed
After the beta is out, my workload wil reduce a little and I will have more time to devote to study CVS....
Tschachim, I really appreacite your efforts in setting this thing up as well as you offer for help. It's nice to know that there's a hand out there waiting to help you if needed. Thanks!

Rodrigo Merce Maia

Physics is FUN!
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 12:13:16 PM »

HI RMaia,
Great job!!  Very Happy  Very Happy
Especially the documention will be very interesting
for an AGC fan like me, I'm impatient to read it!  Very Happy  Very Happy

About the CVS: It's not necessary to know the advanced features of CVS  like tags and branches to do basic operations with it, if you had not the time. I put step-by-step instructions on the project web site: http://nassp.sourceforge.net/ and I hope they are easily understandable.

And of course it's a pleasure for me to support you! Happy

Cheers
Tschachim

RMaia
Project Team Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 08:28:22 PM »

I had a few problems (time related) and wasn't able to finish the beta within this weekend.Sad

But I promise, within this week it will be released!

Rodrigo Merce Maia

Physics is FUN!
chode
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 02:12:32 AM »

Is this being "released" as a separate update? If so, then we have a BIG PROBLEM!

I'm afraid that unless this code is incorporated into the sourceforge project via CVS "commit", then it will be lost when we do new project releases.

RMaia: if you "release" some new .dll on your own, be aware that it will eventually be overwritten (and lost) by future updates of "Project Apollo - NASSP",  unless these changes are also incorporated into the project.
RMaia
Project Team Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 05:59:17 PM »

Yes, the idea was that the beta be a separate download.

But as I see, doing it in CVS will be better for everyone. So that's how I will do it. But there's some questions regarding it.

First of all, I use dial-up. From what I read about it, it seems that I need to be connected to the internet while editing the code. Is that true??
Or I can edit the code offline and overwrite the one in the CVS dev environment in my HD, while on line??

Rodrigo Merce Maia

Physics is FUN!
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 06:27:04 PM »

From what I read about it, it seems that I need to be connected to the internet while editing the code

No. You check out the files, disconnect, edit the files, connect, check them in.
YJH422
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 12:04:23 AM »

RMaia

Any update on your work with the AGC?

TKS
RMaia
Project Team Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 12:42:45 PM »

Guys, first of all I would like to apologize countless times for this time which you didn't hear anything from me. A thousand times sorry.Sad

What happened is that a thunderstorm which happened two weeks ago caused a lightining to fall near my home and as a result, the modem got completely burned (fortunately it was the only thing that was damaged). The real problem is that the replacement hasn't arrived yet, so since then I have no internet access at home. This keeps me from downloading the latest sources via CVS (the ones I have are V6.2), as well as updating the whole package at SF.net, as I understand is the process being done now. The new modem is supposed to be arriving this week, so if everything goes on as they are supposed to, I may be releasing the update this week. If I feel it's not going to be possible, I will try to let you know.

Again I apologize,

Rodrigo Merce Maia

Physics is FUN!
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2005, 01:09:42 PM »

Hi RMaia,

great to see you back (and unharmed)!  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
Just take your time, no need for hurry, Project Apollo is a hobby and should not make stress!

Cheers
Tschachim

Anonymous
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2005, 05:41:44 PM »

Hi guys,

I have trying to use CVS for ProjectApollo over dial-up and I am beginning to wonder if is actually possible.
The initial Checkout for Apollo is about 150MB and obviously that is a problem for dial-up. I tried for a while but gave up when I could see how much it was trying to download

Luckily i have a second option.  Although at home I only have dial-up, at my university I have access to broadband.  So what I did was do the CVS checkout on another PC at the University and then copy the whole CVS folder onto a USB key.  Then I took it home and copied the whole thing into my CVS folder on my home PC.  

But then I tried one more thing.
It though that now, with all the files, if I did another checkout on the home PC it would just tick off all my files agreeing the versions were the same without sending and received huge amounts of data.  ( I thought that from now on CVS would onlu send and recieve differences).
But when I did this CVS started sending huge amounts of data without reporting exactly what it was doing.  After it had sent 14MB without word I gave up again.

I think I need to read more about CVS.
Is CVS for a project this big possible over dial-up? Any suggestions?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: