Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2020, 02:28:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2267 Members
Latest Member: Apollo Next
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP News & Discussion
| | |-+  Support & Bugs (Moderators: movieman, Tschachim, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Orbiter/NASSP7 Sending Out Packets?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Orbiter/NASSP7 Sending Out Packets?  (Read 2470 times)
BigDAS

View Profile Email
« on: June 14, 2006, 11:23:35 PM »

Don't know if this a Programming topic, but while flying the Quickstart scenario, the program broke to desktop when my firewall intercepted a packet being sent to the Internet from Orbiter. Is this part of the program or a debug feature. I recall seeing a status line on previous scenarios about TELECOM.

BigDAS

"We should, in my judgement, put a man on Mars by the end of this century"
Vice President Spiro T. Agnew - July 16, 1969
mikaelanderlund

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 01:27:17 AM »

I sometimes have the same problem.

Mikael
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 02:33:50 AM »

It's part of telcom, but it should only be opening a listening socket, not sending anything anywhere. It will only send if something on the internet connects to it.

It sends out systems and computer telemetry, but the system is incomplete and the "ground station" software isn't done.

You can block it if you want.
BigDAS

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 08:47:58 AM »

Quote from: dseagrav
It's part of telcom, but it should only be opening a listening socket, not sending anything anywhere. It will only send if something on the internet connects to it.

It sends out systems and computer telemetry, but the system is incomplete and the "ground station" software isn't done.

You can block it if you want.

Thanks.

BigDAS

dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 09:04:52 AM »

If your firewall is smart enough, can you determine who was connecting to it and causing it to send data please? Someone has to be connected to it for it to send anything anywhere (you can't send to nowhere) and unless you somehow swiped a copy of the groundstation software from my computer or wrote your own, there's nothing to connect to it except for someone trying to find open ports on your computer. (They're probably having a hell of a time trying to figure out what that data is! ^_^)

It should be on TCP port 14242 and sends Apollo CM standard telemetry in HBR or LBR format depending on the position of the bit-rate switch. It doesn't examine any sent data right now, so it's not possible for someone to hijack your PC based on it. All of the CMC telemetry is sent and some of the systems telemetry but it's incomplete. The worst someone could do with it is know you were running Orbiter and Apollo.
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 09:08:07 AM »

Maybe you're connecting to NASA computers....wouldn't that be cool?  Very Happy

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
 -VC (~75% complete: texture work beginning again; mesh-78%; texture-70%)
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

Future Work:  (if it's here, it's deemed unnecessary to upcoming release)

Older Work:  (if it's here, it's fair game to whoever wants to improve)
EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
EMS scrolls (committed: not refined, but usable)
SM Visual (committed: mesh-finished, texture-60%; possibly revisited in future)
J2 Texture (commited: room for improvement)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 10:10:08 AM »

That's the problem. It doesn't connect to anyone by itself, someone has to connect to IT. Maybe NASA is watching us?
BigDAS

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 06:28:18 PM »

That's the problem. It doesn't connect to anyone by itself, someone has to connect to IT. Maybe NASA is watching us?

Heh, good, maybe they can learn from us  Wink

This happened only once, and no, I didn't hack into your home computer.
I forget which scenario it was, one of the NASSP7's. My firewall, SyGate, threw me into the desktop with an alert that Orbiter was attempting to send a packet out to the Internet, and ask me if I wanted to allow the connection. Out of curiosity, I allowed the connection. I checked the running applications and Orbiter.exe was connected to a TCP port, although it didn't specify which one. The program crashed when I went back into Orbiter so I didn't get a chance to check it.
The only files of NASSP7 are the ones that I downloaded with CVS, plus the Misc file archive. If there is any telecom coding in these files, then they came down with the CVS packs.

BigDAS

dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 06:35:10 PM »

Yeah, it's in CVS, and I guess the code is going to be used in Mercury/Gemini as well, so I'm very interested if it's someone probing for open ports (which wouldn't surprise me) or if the code has some kind of very bizarre bug.
BigDAS

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 07:08:48 PM »

Yeah, it's in CVS, and I guess the code is going to be used in Mercury/Gemini as well, so I'm very interested if it's someone probing for open ports (which wouldn't surprise me) or if the code has some kind of very bizarre bug.

Thanks, I'll put a watcher on Port 14242 and see what it traps.

BigDAS

Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 12:46:56 AM »

I meant to ask you dseagrav....how much data is actually transmitted (in # of bytes)

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 12:51:58 AM »

The down-telemetry works exactly as it did with the real ship; It has two modes, High Bitrate (HBR) and Low Bitrate (LBR). LBR is smaller but carries less information. HBR telemetry uses 51.2 Kbit (6.4KByte) per second of data, and LBR telemetry uses 1.6 Kbit (0.2KByte) per second. One second of HBR telemetry occupies 6.4KB of disk space, so a single floppy disk can hold about 3 minutes and 45 seconds of telemetry. That's over two and a half minutes per megabyte of disk space. LBR telemetry is even smaller, it gets almost an hour and a half of telemetry per megabyte of disk space.
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 01:07:09 AM »

The reason I ask is that Rob Conley and I were discussing the multiplayer aspect of orbiter (or the lack thereof) and I was looking for some sort of a comparison for data transfer.  I was wondering how much data is actually sent...and that ain't bad...even at HBR

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 01:18:17 AM »

The problem with multiplayer stuff is not bandwidth, it's latency. There has to be very little delay between computers for any sort of synchronization to work. I honestly don't think it could be done without some sort of assistance from Orbiter itself. Matching orbital data (during maneuvering or whatever) would be difficult if not impossible, and handling subsystems like vAGC or MFDs would be worse.
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 01:27:55 AM »

right we got into the discussion of some of the stuff Martin could add to Orbiter in order to make multiplayer a bit more feasible.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: