Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2020, 03:39:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Gemini 060615 released!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2267 Members
Latest Member: Apollo Next
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Programming (Moderators: movieman, dseagrav, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Joystick Setup
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Joystick Setup  (Read 14665 times)
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« on: August 15, 2006, 10:43:59 AM »

Ok, so I just got access to a second joystick so I decided to set up and see what I could do.

Well, as of right now I'm still joystickless (I'm reading lots of scattered posts).

Dseagrav, I was wondering if you could post a checklist from start to finish for one of the scenarios for to get the joysticks working.

Also, I have a friend looking into writing a VB joystick setup program that will go out and check for joysticks that are attached to the computer and then allow interactive assigning of axis to different PA functions.  It will then write out the .ini file.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
 -VC (~75% complete: texture work beginning again; mesh-78%; texture-70%)
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

Future Work:  (if it's here, it's deemed unnecessary to upcoming release)

Older Work:  (if it's here, it's fair game to whoever wants to improve)
EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
EMS scrolls (committed: not refined, but usable)
SM Visual (committed: mesh-finished, texture-60%; possibly revisited in future)
J2 Texture (commited: room for improvement)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
dseagrav

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 12:05:16 PM »

For the CM, rename joystick-DEFAULT.INI to joystick.ini, start Orbiter, make RCS active, make sure the RHC and THC are powered (TRANS CONT switch on, ROT CONTRL switches to a powered AC or DC bus) switch to SCS or CMC as desired, do the DAP initialization and start if you are using CMC (V48, V46), and go fly. There's not that much to it.

The LM procedure is still being worked on. The LM also has a JETS/THROTTLE switch on the TTCA that I put in over the weekend, it causes the up/down (not in/out) movement of the stick to throttle the descent engine. It doesn't work yet, just changes the bits fed into the LGC.

The only configurable axis is the in/out stick movement (The "Rudder" or vertical translation control) that varies from joystick to joystick. The X and Y axes are default. The JETS/THROTTLE switch uses the throttle control of the THC, if enabled. I might make this assignable later if demand exists, but for right now since the system doesn't exist I haven't spent time on it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 12:08:24 PM by dseagrav » Logged
brittany_Apollo8_fan

brittanystruth
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 09:01:24 PM »

Any chance the joystick could be used as the abort handle like the THC was used?

"All we do is open the valves and Frank comes home."

Chris Kraft, talking to Susan Borman about her concerns that Apollo 8 would be stranded in lunar orbit.
"From the Earth to the Moon"
dseagrav

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 10:37:01 PM »

Sort of. The twist action is up/down because I have yet to find a PC joystick that moves up or down. I plan to map two buttons to Manual TVC and Abort functions when those two systems are completed.
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 09:00:27 AM »

I plan to map two buttons to Manual TVC and Abort functions when those two systems are completed.

That's a cool idea, while I'm working on the SPS I already wondered if and how we can implement these "rotate the THC" functions. I decided to leave them out for now and it would be great if we integrate the joystick button support later as you suggested.

Cheers
Tschachim

Christophe
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 11:44:57 AM »

As far as the joystick is concerned I have a slight bug. I discovered than with just one joystick you could toggle between RHC mode or THC mode with the default orbiter key </>. But while in THC I got the following behaviour:
X translation with the stick Y axis (moving the stick pitch up or down)
Z translation around the stick Z axis, that means that rotating the joystick to the left produce a +Z translation (in fact a -Z since the CSM +Z axis is toward the feet) and rotating to the right an opposite translation. That is not very practical but it is not the worst;
Y translation: nothing at all. I tried almost everything without any success.
Does anybody have a solution?
Or the same bug Wink?
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 02:28:18 PM »

Y translation: nothing at all. I tried almost everything without any success.

Just because I did that mistake: Did you switch all AUTO RCS switches to MNA or MNB? The A/C ROLL switches, too?

Cheers
Tschachim

dseagrav

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 08:53:04 PM »

Slash does not toggle the RHC/THC mode for the joystick code. It's either a RHC or THC, and doesn't change. Unless you have the joystick turned on in Orbiter as well, which causes Orbiter and the CMC to fight over rate. You may or may not notice.

Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 03:59:08 AM »

Slash does not toggle the RHC/THC mode for the joystick code. It's either a RHC or THC, and doesn't change.

No, it does toggle the RHC/THC, I did that when I fixed the BMAG cage logic a few months ago. Happy

Cheers
Tschachim

Christophe
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 04:46:06 AM »

Just because I did that mistake: Did you switch all AUTO RCS switches to MNA or MNB? The A/C ROLL switches, too?

Hmm, may be not....
It's worth to try.

Slash does not toggle the RHC/THC mode for the joystick code. It's either a RHC or THC, and doesn't change.

That's what I wanted to mean.
The dream would be having a joystick, gamepad or something else to put in the joystick.ini as the THC, and that could reproduce the same movment that the real THC. AFAIK, such a hardware doesn't exist.
dseagrav

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 08:25:06 AM »

No, it does toggle the RHC/THC, I did that when I fixed the BMAG cage logic a few months ago. Happy

Meh. My apologies, I forgot about it.

That's what I wanted to mean.
The dream would be having a joystick, gamepad or something else to put in the joystick.ini as the THC, and that could reproduce the same movment that the real THC. AFAIK, such a hardware doesn't exist.

I wouldn't say they don't exist - I have seen a four-axis joystick. It was a couple years ago, used for a robotics experiment on a Sun workstation. I'm certain that one exists for a PC, they just aren't common at all, and probably cost $Texas.

Christophe
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 12:23:59 PM »

Duh!
How stupid am I!!! Bangs Head
Sure I did'nt get the Y translation cause Auto RCS A/C roll quads were not powered! Gloomy
Now things go well.
But I have to learn to fly with a +Z/rotate left and -Z/rotate right stick;
Strange and uneasy but I think it would be feasable as a temporary procedure;
I just hope I wouldn't be confuse while real flying for my company: The day I'll rotate the yoke toward the left for take off, there's a chance I would lost my job! Very Happy
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 01:21:53 PM »

But I have to learn to fly with a +Z/rotate left and -Z/rotate right stick;
Strange and uneasy but I think it would be feasable as a temporary procedure;

Hm, do you mean you suggest a different joystick axis/translation direction assignment? If yes, can you explain your suggestion more detailed, I can reassign the axis quite easily, I think.

... and I really hope you don't crash planes because of Project Apollo... Wink

Cheers
Tschachim

Christophe
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 04:23:32 PM »

Hm, do you mean you suggest a different joystick axis/translation direction assignment? If yes, can you explain your suggestion more detailed, I can reassign the axis quite easily, I think.

Do you mean you could assign two different axis configurations depending on wether the stick is in Rotation or translation mode?
That would be great! Happy

In this case, here is what I think to be the most ergonomical:
Since the most tricky maneuver involving the translation mode is the transposition and docking with the LM, I think that it should be considered as a priority.
What you need during this maneuver is above all the control of the Z axis with the Joystick Y axis (push foreward to go down and pull backward to go up), and the control of the Y axis with the joystick Z axis (you rotate left to go to the left and you rotate right to go to the right). I think this has to be considered first, before the control of the X axis, since the +X thrust is established at the begining of the translation and doesn't need to be changed repetively once it has been fine tuned. On the other hand, the accurate alignment with the docking target requires frequent "intuitive" firings in Z/Y axis
To control the X axis, I suggest to use any spare button you have on almost every joystick or may be the throttle slider.
For my own I simply use the orbiter's default <6> and <9> keys to control the Xaxis. In that way, I keep my right hand on the stick and my left hand on the keyboard.
jungzimm

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 01:01:06 PM »

O.K., here I am with my "attack 3"  joystick; but I can't get it to work.  No  It was detected in the launchpad but I disabled it there so I could get it work as it should vagc and agc++.  All I've got in the JOYSTICK.INI is RHC 0 and RSL 1.  I've got RCS enabled, Rotational Controller Powered, Rot Direct: On. All 16 of the jets switched to either A or B. But I get nothing out of the joystick.  Numpad continues to work.  Also tried using it as THC, but no-go.   All the other switches configured for just after insertion.  Everything turned on that I can think of or find in the checklists. I'm using a scenario from a couple months ago; would that affect anything?   What? It was saved on vagc apollo 8 flight just after insertion to LEO.  Also tried it with a scenario from an  AGC++ Ap 11 just before TLI with same results.   Windows recognizes the joystick as installed and properly configured.  I've played around with different ID's (RHC 1 etc).  If any of you with joystick successes have a clue as to what I'm doing wrong, I'd be grateful.

John
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: