Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 15, 2019, 07:26:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo Beta 7.0 released!
http://nassp.sf.net/wiki/Installation
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Meadville Space Center
| |-+  Site News
| | |-+  Hacked
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Hacked  (Read 8437 times)
robertsconley65
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: August 16, 2006, 06:19:04 PM »

I got it too, apparently they got through the personal message system.

I did the following steps

I re-ordered the rank system so that a newbie only gets one personal message, a jr members needs 2 posts and gets 2 personal messages, a full member gets unlimited personal message but needs 10 posts to qualify.

Plus I turned on email notification of new members. So if any of us admin see a baloney new user we can be pro-active and turn it off.

Rob Conley

BigDAS

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 07:10:11 PM »

Any idea on how they got in?

BigDAS

"We should, in my judgement, put a man on Mars by the end of this century"
Vice President Spiro T. Agnew - July 16, 1969
robertsconley65
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 08:15:19 AM »

somehow registered as Bill Clinton through a yahoo account and sending a PM to everyone.

clive bradbury

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 11:47:30 AM »

I received it,too. However might be worth passing on a program called 'mailwasher'. Free download (except for the network version). It lets you take a look at all your e-mails on your provider server and delete them there without downloading them to your pc. It has the added feature that you can 'bounce' e-mails back to their source, giving the sender a 'mail undeliverable' message. Quite satisfying, knowing that they are then receiving unwanted mail themselves!

Try it out.
BigDAS

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 12:28:36 PM »

I don't quite understand. If the Personal Message system is internal, then what's to prevent anyone from sending objectional messages?

BigDAS

clive bradbury

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 02:20:03 PM »

The principal advantage is that if there any mails with viruses/adware and the like attached they never get to your computer as you are able to delete from your ISP server. Because in this particular case the message was sent as an e-mail, not a pm. Or at least it was in my case.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 02:22:01 PM by clive bradbury » Logged
BigDAS

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 08:43:06 PM »

Okay, I understand. Get that Email scanner working, Dude.

BigDAS

dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 10:25:07 AM »

Quite satisfying, knowing that they are then receiving unwanted mail themselves!

Please don't do that!

The vast majority of spam sending operations use falsified return addresses. You're not mailing the spammer, you're mailing some poor innocent whose email was used as the return address. Usually the fake addresses come from stolen address books - Spammers will get a worm onto a computer, send spam to everyone in that computer's address book, and use a random address FROM the address book as the sending address. So if Fred has me in his address book, and he downloads a worm, it sends spam to everyone in his address book (me included) using me as the sender's address. It looks like I sent the spam but in reality I was never involved.

Spammers do this for two reasons: People are more likely to open mail from someone they know, and it makes block-this-sender type spam protection useless.

I've had this happen to me more than once, including legal threats. People just don't understand that sender addresses are easily (and usually) forged.

movieman
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 08:54:37 AM »

Indeed. When I was running my own domain I'd often see asshole spammers spam half of AOL with my domain as the return address: it's extremely rare that they use a real one.
movieman
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 08:58:38 AM »

BTW, is there some way to stop people sending embedded images (or, for that matter, embedded _anything_) in private messages? It would also be useful to be able to disable the preview of messages so I don't see any I don't click on.
BigDAS

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 12:10:25 PM »

Since the forum is accessed by browser, any good pop-up bloker should work with the PM's.

BigDAS

aftercolumbia
Project Team Member

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 04:21:25 PM »

I have not identified any PMs from this site (ever) so I'm guessing that either gmail does a good job of filtering them (I only take a cursory look at the spam folder to make sure there aren't any genuine emails in there; it is very rare that there are...gmail also shows the first line of text on the list overview pages, so a legitimate looking subject line is not enough to get me to click on it.  Gmail won't resolve any external links unless I tell it too, and also doesn't run macros or attachments, means that clicking on it is harmless.)  If this site sends mail in the name of an account holder, gmail checks the header to see if the originator address according to the header is the same as the originating IP domain according to SMTP...if they don't match, off to the spam folder it goes.  That would explain if anyone has tried to send me a legitimate PM from this site and never had any indication it was received.  If a genuine illegitimate spam was sent to me through this site, I would never recognize that it came from here because I don't check all my spam headers (only so many minutes in the hour a day I spend doing email...only so many seconds in the minute I spend looking at spam...)

Terry Wilson
After Columbia Project

P.S: where did the smileys go?
Christophe
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 02:54:18 AM »

So I'm not the only who have lost it?
I thought it was an issue with my PC...
Redburne
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 06:34:53 AM »

You guys, too? Well, your post gave me an idea.

I checked my user profile, and in the section "Look and Layout Preferences", there's an option "Current Smiley Set" which was set to "No Smileys".
I've changed it to "Default", and see Smileys, again. Happy

Looks like the profile setting was (accidentally ?) changed, perhaps when the smiley set was changed.
Zachstar

Is it Star Trek?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 07:12:33 PM »

I did a change hopefully the smilies will be fixed soon.

Edit: Another Fix Let me know if this helps.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 07:16:48 PM by Zachstar » Logged

-------------------------------------------
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: