Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2020, 02:00:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the new Meadville Space Center forums!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Programming (Moderators: movieman, dseagrav, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  CSM Panel Status Report
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] Print
Author Topic: CSM Panel Status Report  (Read 175648 times)
kneecaps
Project Team Member

36711000 kneecaps@shockpulse.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #780 on: May 04, 2016, 03:12:47 AM »

I have done some work on the CSM High Gain Antenna. It is mostly the part of the HGA where I can be most helpful, the vector math to calculate the relative angle between the pointing vector of the HGA and Earth. It really is the most basic implementation right now:

-Power and circuit breakers are hopefully correctly connected. I have traced down where the power comes from and I found out that the flight bus wasn't connected to its circuit breakers before. That should now be the case, if I haven't missunderstood that part of the code completely.
-The antenna only works with the power switch on and in manual mode. I have arbitrarily chosen 5/s as the rate limit for the pitch and yaw servos.
-The beamwidth switch doesn't do anything yet. However, I have used the beamwidth of the wide mode (40) as the current setting, just for testing. A basic cosine function is used to approximate the signal strength. Again, not really based on much, I don't know much about electrical engineering.
-There is no animation of the antenna right now. I am sure other people can do that part better than me.

With all these disclaimers, you can use V64 now to get the correct HGA pitch and yaw angles from the AGC and then get signal strength with those settings. It's a first step.

Awesome!

I shall give this a try and do some testing. I've not had an opportunity to get into orbit with a fully configured CSM on the latest builds, would you be able to share a scenario file?

"Okay. As soon as we find the Earth, we will do it."
- Frank Borman, Apollo 8

Current Work: ?? What next??

Future Work:
I know the AGC pretty well so anything need doing there?

On Hold/Completed:
SPS TVC in P40 issues.
P11 FDAI Error Needles (98%) complete. Comitted. Working A7 scenario.
P06 AGC Standby. Concluded. It's done by the AGC PSU.
Got us a complete AOH Volume II
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 04, 2016, 07:31:20 AM »

Here an Apollo 8 scenario shortly after LOI-2. I have already added that, with the moon in the way, the antenna receives no signal, so don't wonder if you don't immediately get signal strength in this scenario. Pretty nice seeing the Earth rise over the horizon and suddenly the signal strength is there.  Thumbs Up

Also, does someone have a story about the High Gain Antenna Scan Limit warning light? As far as I can tell, it only appears in the CSM-104 Systems Handbook on the CWS, not in the AOH. I don't have pictures of all CSM panels, but at least Apollo 11 doesn't have the warning light. However, it still appears on the diagram for viable HGA pitch and yaw angle on the Apollo 15 CSM Systems Checklist as "scan limit warning light function". So, there is a scan limit warning light function but no scan limit warning? I don't quite understand that...

* Apollo 8 in Lunar Orbit.scn (85.72 KB - downloaded 107 times.)
eddievhfan1984

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 04, 2016, 08:20:19 AM »

Isn't the annunciator on the CW indicators in our current panel?
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 04, 2016, 08:41:19 AM »

Yes, it is on our panel. I guess our current panel is mostly based on that Systems Handbook. The question how to implement the warning light is easily answered, the HGA electronics had some kind of function that then send the signal to the CWS, if the HGA pitch and yaw are in the undesired zone. Not very difficult to code. I just want to find out which missions actually had the warning light. But I guess because the light already is on our panel, it maybe should be implemented in any case?!
eddievhfan1984

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 04, 2016, 09:36:22 AM »

I don't think it's currently implemented, but it definitely shouldn't be too hard to add. I presume the scan limit is to prevent the antenna from slamming into the stops during signal tracking, right?
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 04, 2016, 10:29:31 AM »

I don't think it's currently implemented, but it definitely shouldn't be too hard to add.

Oh, it most certainly isn't implemented yet. Only a few months ago dseagrav created the initial skeleton implementation, so just the HGA class declaration and a few variables. No functionality was implemented until yesterday.

I presume the scan limit is to prevent the antenna from slamming into the stops during signal tracking, right?

Yes and the scan limit itself is also based on a function known to the HGA electronics. That is when the HGA should stop tracking in in the automatic modes. The A15 System Checklist also has the actual gimbal limits, which is a few degrees after the scan limit. The scan limit warning line is then again about 15 before the scan limit.

You also have to realize that the HGA doesn't directly move around the pitch and yaw axis. Those pitch and yaw are in the spacecraft coordinate system, while the HGA is rotated 52.25 around the X-axis. The designation of the three gimbal axis of the HGA are : A-, B- and C-Axis. The B-Axis is not used in manual mode. The manual pitch and yaw are then rotated into the required A- and C-Axis. A good explanation is in the CSM-104 Systems Handbook (if anyone doesn't have it: http://www.ibiblio.org/apollo/ApolloProjectOnline/Documents/CSM%20104%20Systems%20Handbook%2019690124.pdf), page 165. Those three gimbal axis are not yet implemented in any way, but they will have to be for auto and reacquire modes and then animation of the HGA, I guess.
rcflyinghokie

View Profile Email
« Reply #786 on: June 18, 2016, 07:42:25 AM »

Random question regarding the panel.  Is there a particular reason BMAG TEMP 1&2 C/W indicators were not added?  As far as my research shows, all of the Block 2 spacecraft had these on the panel.
eddievhfan1984

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: June 18, 2016, 01:43:47 PM »

Mostly has to do with how (as I understand it) the CSM panel was built quite a while back, and it's kind of a hybrid of Block I and Block II controls (like how the star tracker in our optics panel wasn't found in Block II, or the separate zeroing switch).
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: June 18, 2016, 01:57:42 PM »

Mostly has to do with how (as I understand it) the CSM panel was built quite a while back, and it's kind of a hybrid of Block I and Block II controls (like how the star tracker in our optics panel wasn't found in Block II, or the separate zeroing switch).

Yeah, or the source that was used for the C/W panel by whoever created it was simply a little bit outdated (i.e. from 1967 or 1968), just as with the HGA Scan Limit Warning light, which wasn't there anymore for the manned mission but appeared in an earlier CSM Systems Handbook. So if this was to be changed, then the HGA warning light should be removed (even then the function used to calculated it is used in the HGA electronics for something in the automatic mode) and the BMAG TEMP lights should be added. BMAG temperatures aren't simulated yet, but the lights should be there.
rcflyinghokie

View Profile Email
« Reply #789 on: June 18, 2016, 10:01:14 PM »

That was actually what I was going to ask about next, but alas you beat me to it Happy

Yeah, or the source that was used for the C/W panel by whoever created it was simply a little bit outdated (i.e. from 1967 or 1968), just as with the HGA Scan Limit Warning light, which wasn't there anymore for the manned mission but appeared in an earlier CSM Systems Handbook. So if this was to be changed, then the HGA warning light should be removed (even then the function used to calculated it is used in the HGA electronics for something in the automatic mode) and the BMAG TEMP lights should be added. BMAG temperatures aren't simulated yet, but the lights should be there.

My guess is on the sourcing.  Would be nice to have this cleaned up, I do not have much experience with graphics, I am just an engineer and technical nut for anything aerospace, but I imagine changing those wouldn't be too difficult?
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: June 19, 2016, 04:33:04 AM »

My guess is on the sourcing.  Would be nice to have this cleaned up, I do not have much experience with graphics, I am just an engineer and technical nut for anything aerospace, but I imagine changing those wouldn't be too difficult?

The coding is easy; the BMAGs already have a temperature variable, which just has to be set to 170F. The CWS then just has to check for the temperature range (168 to 172), which will be always true without temperature simulation. All that has to be changed then is the bitmap for the CSM CWS (cw_lights.bmp). But I don't think there are currently any of the developers around, who worked on textures and stuff. And I certainly have no idea how to do it. So if anyone wants to volunteer to change the bitmap (remove HGA scan limit warning and add the two BMAG Temp lights), that would be great.
rcflyinghokie

View Profile Email
« Reply #791 on: June 19, 2016, 06:19:05 PM »

I wonder if there is anyone around who would be able to fill those shoes.  I'd love to see this project push even more forward with historical accuracy.
rcflyinghokie

View Profile Email
« Reply #792 on: May 27, 2017, 08:15:46 AM »

I found another switch that needs to have a momentary setting, the docking ext/rel switch should be momentary up.
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: May 27, 2017, 09:03:37 AM »

I found another switch that needs to have a momentary setting, the docking ext/rel switch should be momentary up.

Will fix.
rcflyinghokie

View Profile Email
« Reply #794 on: May 27, 2017, 08:55:07 PM »

Will fix.

I don't know if @Thymo fixed this in his build or not, but the CSM RDV XPDR test/operate switch also needs to be a momentary up.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: