Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2020, 11:34:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the new Meadville Space Center forums!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Orbiter Mars Direct
| |-+  Planning (Moderators: Iceversaka, smoothvirus)
| | |-+  Computer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Computer  (Read 7261 times)
Zachstar

Is it Star Trek?

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2005, 05:34:51 AM »

Now I do not know if this has been mentioned but what is plan on making use of the supercomputer they plan to take on the hab?

One idea I had was to have a way for you to do like in star trek where they say "Computer" and some ? or command and it will read out info or do the command.

This may be yet an additional way to deal with the social problems of these long flights. Hearing a voice either your teammates or your computer will obviously be a way to avoid boredom and lonliness during the mission.

Maybe it can also be taylored to each voice that requests info or commands the computer. Say John's computers voice sounds like Elvis Tongue Yet Sarah's sounds like Barbie (Just Examples now)

-------------------------------------------
smoothvirus

aircyber smoothvirus_2000
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 04:47:29 PM »

Quote from: Zachstar
Now I do not know if this has been mentioned but what is plan on making use of the supercomputer they plan to take on the hab?

One idea I had was to have a way for you to do like in star trek where they say "Computer" and some ? or command and it will read out info or do the command.

This may be yet an additional way to deal with the social problems of these long flights. Hearing a voice either your teammates or your computer will obviously be a way to avoid boredom and lonliness during the mission.

Maybe it can also be taylored to each voice that requests info or commands the computer. Say John's computers voice sounds like Elvis Tongue Yet Sarah's sounds like Barbie (Just Examples now)

As far as I know there's no plan to take a supercomputer on the Hab. It shouldn't be necessary, since you can use high bandwidth laser communication between Mars and Earth. You can just send all the collected data back to Earth for analyzation.

The Hab module at www.exploremarsnow.org does have a supercomputer but they're not using the Mars Direct plan and their hab is much bigger than the MD hab.
Urwumpe
Project Team Member

11088229 dennis.krenz@hotmail.com urwumpe@Yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 06:05:17 PM »

Quote from: smoothvirus

As far as I know there's no plan to take a supercomputer on the Hab. It shouldn't be necessary, since you can use high bandwidth laser communication between Mars and Earth. You can just send all the collected data back to Earth for analyzation.

I don't think its going to be laser, as a laser through two athmosphere is a very ineffective way of transmitting data.  A high-performing radio uplink will be more realistic.

Also you don't need a supercomputer for initial analysis of what you find there - one or two IBM PCs from 1995 would already be enough computing power for processing chemical analysis data from experiments.  

I suppose there will be a few laptops which can be used for this, like we have in the ISS today. Such a laptop can easily be fitted into the ERV capsule for returning to earth, consumes not much power and you can be sure that at least DVD-R drives will be spaceflight capable in 2030 for recording data, which does not get send to earth over the radio uplink.

But what the Hab will have at any case:

- A local area network, either Wireless or STP.
- A few dedicated computer units for controlling payloads (= lab equipment and experiments)
- two-three guidance and navigation computers, which could maybe also be used for hab house keeping on mars. (all activated during critical phases, only one active after landing, with the other(s) as cold spare)

Historians are the most powerful and dangerous members of any society. They must be watched carefully... They can spoil everything. - Nikita Khrushchev
Warm Icepack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 06:17:51 PM »

Quote from: smoothvirus
Quote from: Zachstar

The Hab module at www.exploremarsnow.org does have a supercomputer but they're not using the Mars Direct plan and their hab is much bigger than the MD hab.

Plus their sickbay/lab covers their entire first story, except for an "engineering workstation" plus they have a greenhouse attached with stuff in their for study.

"The Earth is the cradle of humanity, but mankind cannot stay in the cradle forever."
Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
Gos

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 12:02:22 AM »

This reply is a bit off topic, but I just wanted to point out that the primary method for relaying data to and from Mars in the near future could be via a laser.  The uplinks to the relay satellites would still be on a radio band, but the main link would be optical.  See below:

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/technovel_marstelecom_050505.html
Urwumpe
Project Team Member

11088229 dennis.krenz@hotmail.com urwumpe@Yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 02:16:52 AM »

Quote from: Gos
This reply is a bit off topic, but I just wanted to point out that the primary method for relaying data to and from Mars in the near future could be via a laser.  The uplinks to the relay satellites would still be on a radio band, but the main link would be optical.  See below:

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/technovel_marstelecom_050505.html

As long as you stay in the vacuum of space this is true. But of course the Hab still needs radio. But not having to emit the data to earth directly can really improve the radio bandwidth a lot. (You can easier acheive a good signal to noise ratio, that as a big impact on your radio bandwidth)

Historians are the most powerful and dangerous members of any society. They must be watched carefully... They can spoil everything. - Nikita Khrushchev
aftercolumbia
Project Team Member

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 01:16:51 PM »

You'd obviously want a computer that can run Orbiter  Very Happy
Warm Icepack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 02:05:30 PM »

Quote from: aftercolumbia

wouldn't that be a bad omen if on mars encounter day you botch the simmed entry and landing?  Wink

"The Earth is the cradle of humanity, but mankind cannot stay in the cradle forever."
Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
BigDAS

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 10:15:34 PM »

I don't think its going to be laser, as a laser through two athmosphere is a very ineffective way of transmitting data.  A high-performing radio uplink will be more realistic.

A Laser could send data to a relay satellite on orbit around Earth, and convert to Omni H-Band to tranmit to ground stations. The same could also be true for Mars. Once the HAB package reaches Mars, a relay sat could be launched from the stack into Mars orbit.

BigDAS

"We should, in my judgement, put a man on Mars by the end of this century"
Vice President Spiro T. Agnew - July 16, 1969
aftercolumbia
Project Team Member

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 04:50:45 PM »

Quote from: aftercolumbia
wouldn't that be a bad omen if on mars encounter day you botch the simmed entry and landing?  Wink

No...the day before; encounter day would be too busy to so a sim.
aftercolumbia
Project Team Member

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 04:58:25 PM »

I've always thought that a developed planetary society with approximately current technologies:

Each planet probably has a Clarke orbit (for Earth it is at 38768km, Mars is 17023km, Venus and Mercury are unlikely to have any both because they rotate very slowly and they are close to the sun (and have closer libration limits.)

Satellites that would RF to the surface would then transmit to another planet via laser, which would then RF the signal to the destination planet's surface.  These would gradually supplant the current set of synchronous earth satellites (very, very gradually mind you.)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: