Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2020, 04:38:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Gemini 060615 released!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2267 Members
Latest Member: Apollo Next
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Programming (Moderators: movieman, dseagrav, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Orbiter 2006-P1 changes/problems
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Orbiter 2006-P1 changes/problems  (Read 6721 times)
movieman

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2006, 07:39:14 PM »

So it looks like the only thing needed to work with the patch is to remove one of the VECTOR3 operators from OrbiterMath.h, since it's now defined in the Orbiter include files.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 07:20:37 AM by Tschachim » Logged
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 06:33:00 AM »

Already done! Happy

But CSM/SIVB separation isn't working, Orbiter crashes because of the SLA panel animation, I'm working on that. New version, new bugs... Wink

Cheers
Tschachim

Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 07:25:24 AM »

Looks like the animation definitions need to be moved to clbkSetClassCaps. That's a little bit annoying since the SIVB doesn't know if it's a Saturn 1b or a Saturn V stage at that point, but I'm happy that I can fix the problem at all. I hope I have good news soon! Happy

Cheers
Tschachim

movieman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 08:44:54 AM »

If need be we could have two config files pointing to the same DLL. You should be able to read parameters out of the config file to figure out whether it's a Saturn 1b or Saturn V (and we'll need Saturn 1 soon too Happy).

The Saturns already allow you to put scenario options into the config file, really all the other DLLs should too.
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 08:57:56 AM »

That's a good idea, but not really necessary, I just needed to move some code and delete the wrong meshes later. These panels are quite small meshes, so there are no performance problems because of this. The fix is almost ready...

The ML and the VAB don't have that problem, they define the animations in clbkSetClassCaps anyway. Swatch and/or Redburne, could you please check the SM and the LRV? The old animation bug should be fixed now...

Cheers
Tschachim

Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 10:07:49 AM »

I'll try to do that sometime this weekend...

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
 -VC (~75% complete: texture work beginning again; mesh-78%; texture-70%)
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

Future Work:  (if it's here, it's deemed unnecessary to upcoming release)

Older Work:  (if it's here, it's fair game to whoever wants to improve)
EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
EMS scrolls (committed: not refined, but usable)
SM Visual (committed: mesh-finished, texture-60%; possibly revisited in future)
J2 Texture (commited: room for improvement)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 11:21:42 AM »

Thanks Swatch, the SIVB is fixed in CVS already. Happy

A few ideas because of the new Orbiter 2006-P1 features:

On the new "Extras" tab of the launchpad there's high res/low res mesh configuration for the DG and the shuttle. I think we should have that, too. That means to add a "Project Apollo" node in the configuration tree, which opens a window with a high res/low res option group affecting the Saturns and the SIVB etc. Any volunteers? Wink

There's a new oapiSetTexture function, which allows dynamic change of a texture of a mesh. We can use that for mission specific textures and so we can get rid of that batch file texture copying of the NEP.

Cheers
Tschachim

Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 11:28:14 PM »

Well, good news/badnews....

Good news, Orbiter no longer crashes when the animation code is put back into the source....

Bad news, it doesn't animate anything, so maybe the animation calls are wrong...I'll check them.

CORRECTION:

Good news~ No CTD death of Orbiter AND it animates.......

Bad news~ ......well, I commited this just because I wanted you all to see it.  Build the modules and then open up the Apollo 14 scenario After Descent and Landing.  Click E to go on an EVA, click V to produce an LRV outta your pocket in front of you.   Sit back and enjoy the show....    Excited!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 12:16:51 AM by Swatch » Logged

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 09:26:12 AM »

Alright, I have the LRV animations working, but only 2/3rds of them are actually being used right now. 

I have the speed of the wheels turning at a rate of total speed/max speed, but that is not quite right and it won't reverse correctly (stupid negative signs....messing things up Rolling Eyes

The steering left and right also are proportional to max turn radius and depends on speed, I need to implement some sort of discreet turning method, not the goright/gostraight/goleft method we're using. 

The final, unused animation is the suspension up and down.  Is there any way to get a vertical acceleration value for the LRV as it rolls across the mesh?  Or is there some way to identify the vertical position of the wheels relative to ground?

I haven't commited yet, because I at least want the first two of those cleaned up, and I'd like to have the third started.... any suggestions from the Meshland crowd?

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

BigDAS

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 02:04:21 PM »

Kev33 seems to have mastered the mysteries of animated wheels. Maybe you should get him in here and exchange information.

BigDAS

"We should, in my judgement, put a man on Mars by the end of this century"
Vice President Spiro T. Agnew - July 16, 1969
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 06:11:47 PM »

It's not really an issue of not knowing how to do it, I can do the math in my sleep almost....it's basic geometry/algebra, but I need to have time to do it, I've already spent a good deal more time on it this weekend than I should have with a Mechanics III exam on Tuesday and Basic Strengths of Materials work due on Monday, but once when I got animations working at about 1:00am this morning, I wanted to actually see it physically working, if not mathematically working.   At about 3:30, I got everything moving correctly, albeit inaccurately simulated.  If the Basic Strengths stuff is finished soon (which it appears to be close), I'll probably work it out and commit.  The individual wheel bounce IS an issue though that I'm limited in how to actually determine the specific wheel forces.

Did anyone else see the awesome wheel rotation?, gotta love wheels that rotate around an invisible axle!

PS, with Meshland on, I actually bounced on the first timestep, and with the animations being messed up, it looked like it was caused by my wheels....anywho, just a bit interesting.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

FordPrefect
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 05:48:38 AM »

hey Swatch, just as a quick info, when testing the (AMSO) LRV at Taurus-Littrow with meshland I discovered that the "bouncieness" of the vehicle very much depends on the frame rate. With the high-detail scenery around it even spinned out of control occasionally, tumbling and what not. When going to timewarp 0.1x everything calmed down again. Also, when driving at 0.1x timewarp, the Rover moves very steady over the surface bumps, of course it still reacts to changing terrain but very smooth...

My Project Apollo work in progress:
* New detailed Lunar Module Ascent stage with virtual cockpit (VC currently planned as eye candy only) 18 % done

My Project Apollo work to be continued:
* new Service Module SPS engine bell
* various Saturn V textures, exhaust textures
* SIM Bay for the SM

My long-term plans are to create a:
* New detailed Lunar Module descent stage (eventually models of all flown LM's)
* New F-1 engines for the S-1C stage showing the foil (batting) insulation
* New LUT and launch pad (if nobody else does it)
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 06:51:43 AM »

Build the modules and then open up the Apollo 14 scenario After Descent and Landing.  Click E to go on an EVA, click V to produce an LRV outta your pocket in front of you.   Sit back and enjoy the show....    Excited!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy These jumping wheels are looking very funny! But the VC is working again, that's fine.

Because of the suspension animation:

You can try to work with changes of your current terrain elevation, use VSGetAbsMaxElvLoc to get the terrain elevation of a certain lat/lon:
Code:
char pname[255];
oapiGetObjectName(OurVessel->GetSurfaceRef(),pname,255);
currentElv=VSGetAbsMaxElvLoc(pname, lat*RAD, lon*RAD);
if(currentElv== VS_NO_ALT) currentElv=0.0;

It's also worth a try to take a look at the next Meshland version, which supports vessel tilting and has a lot of more features: http://www.ibiblio.org/mscorbit/mscforum/index.php?topic=582.0

I didn't try for the LM up to now because of lack of time, but sooner or later we really should switch to the new version anyway...

Cheers
Tschachim

brittany_Apollo8_fan

brittanystruth
View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 10:48:09 AM »

So should we do a CVS update before installing the patch?

"All we do is open the valves and Frank comes home."

Chris Kraft, talking to Susan Borman about her concerns that Apollo 8 would be stranded in lunar orbit.
"From the Earth to the Moon"
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 11:11:17 AM »

there shouldn't really be any overlap, but it's probably best to patch, then update.

Tchachim, I'll look into that, but I don't know the first thing about meshland, so unless someone with more experience does it, I can't say if it'll get done very quickly.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: