Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2020, 10:15:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Gemini
| |-+  Discussion & Help
| | |-+  I think I sould say something here
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I think I sould say something here  (Read 3539 times)
Roger55

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2006, 12:15:33 PM »

You have to understand, the space program began when I was in Grade school and junior high school. 

In one class we wrote letters to John Glen, and as a result, I have an autographed picture of him.  I don't think we missed a launch if he got up early to see it on the TV or we listened in school to those little Japanese transistor radios. 

When Project Gemini started I was just beginning HS and there was almost no tolerance of radios in the classroom (once in a study hall I and four others were trying to get the latest BBC report on the Six Day War-they confiscated the short wave).  I remember the first EVA and the first rendezvous in space, but more and more the space program was evening news and what was in _Life_  and the _National Geographic_.   

When Apollo came along Vietnam was the top of the news and most of my information about the program was from the Geopgraphic.  The only exceptions were 11 and 13 which were on every television and radio even on musak stations in stores.  By the time of 11 I was in college.

So Gemini got lost because there was war and violence in the streets.  I my life it was a dim bright spot in a time of universal gloom and the hard business of turning from an adolescent to an adult. 

The Program never impressed me as unimportant.  But the news about Gemini was less immediate than either Mercury or Apollo.  And except for the fire and the drama of 11 and 13, Apollo ran second to Mercury where the news covered every second of every flight on Radio.

Christophe
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 02:12:27 PM »

Thanks for sharing this testimony.
I was only 3 years old when Armstrong and Aldrin walked on the moon;
That may be incredible but I still remember that.
aftercolumbia
Project Team Member

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 07:27:34 PM »

My earliest space memory was looking forward to Voyager 2's flyby of Uranus.  I wasn't quite as tiny as that, however.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: