Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 14, 2020, 07:01:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the new Meadville Space Center forums!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Programming (Moderators: movieman, dseagrav, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Fellow developers,please read!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Fellow developers,please read!!!  (Read 3025 times)
Yogenfrutz

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2005, 11:18:25 AM »

Hi all,

please read the follwing and give me advice
1. to Tschachim,

Your way of fixing the docking panel view has several disadvantages:
the position of the aligning device of the lem is changing when you change the FoV angle,and it changes with different screen resolutions as well,so that the painted visor of the docking panel can not be used.
I have done it on a different:
with my way,the docking aligning device is always correct,independent of any screen resolution and fov angle:you can change the fov angle any time,the aligning still works perfectly.
Only thing that had to be done was repainting the docking panel bitmap,so that the visor is slightly more to the right.
I have done all this,and it works absolutely flawless.Only minor dissadvantage:when you change to the virtual cockpit direct from the docking panel view,your viewpoint is outside the cm.
I could correct this,if i would know ,how to make the program check,wether we are in 2d panel or in virtual cockpit.I tried with "if (InVC)",but it didnt work.Any Ideas??

A few remarks (important:these are my personal opinions,i dont want to complaint or offent anybody!)

Concerning the panel:
As i reported earlier,adding 40 pixels to the panel bitmap does only fix the "blurring" of the picture,but not the ati problem when using anti-aliasing.I have fixed this by firts adding 40 pixels to the bitmaps hight.
(I actually added them to the top of the bitmap,but i have not only added a bar of pixels,but i painted it,so it fits perfectly the rest of the bitmap.All the buttons and switches and instruments had to be repositioned,what i have done).To fix the ati problem,the bitmap must not be larger then then 2048 pixels.So i splitted the panel in two parts,and you can switch from left to right panel using ctrl-arrows.The panel now works perfectly with ati cards up to at least 1800x1050 resolution.

Concerning the docking view panel:
i personaly dont like mfd on the docking panel:there were no mfd's on the real apollo,and i like it as real as possible.
With the corrected panel view,visual docking is no more a problem,you actually dont need a mfd.But i understand,that several people want to have a mfd on the docking view,others wont for realism:so my propostion:instead of painting an mfd on the docking view as Tschachim did,you better only reserve an area on the bitmap where the mfd appears,without any buttons and switches,just the way they do on the main panel:that way ,everybody has his panel as he likes:with mfd or without

Now, possibly,people might think i do  a lot of blabla here,without any real help.
I actually have done this fixes ,but for time beeing,i dont want to upload them to the cvs ,because it includes major changes,like new panel bitmaps and lots of changed sources.
Therefore I would first like to uplaod the fixed modules together with the changed sources and resources somewhere else,so that my fellow developers and anybody who wishes,can download it and,most important: test it.

If then the community appreciates my changes,then they could be included in future releases.

As said before,i dont want to commit these changes to the cvs :why:
well a lot of people did put a lot of work in this project.And i dont want to offend anybody,by doing changes to the prog that i think are better.

So please let me know what you think of it,and if appreciated,tell me a place,where i should upload these files,so that they can be uploaded.

Cheers,

Yogen.
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 06:15:47 PM »

Hi Yogen,

thanks for your very interesting comments and suggestions!  Happy

First about the docking panel:
Let's see if I understood you right: You mean if we center the COAS on the panel bitmap it's no longer necessary to change the camera direction so it's working with different FoV's (and we get rid off the "HUD bug" Chode pointed out). I think you are right, since Moonwalker did the panel we should ask him to change this. In fact I want him to ask for the bitmaps necessary for a switchable (normal and retracted) COAS.
But if your screen resolution is smaller that the panel bitmap, you have to keep the COAS centered in both cases, do you?

With the MFD you are right, of course. What do you think about this: When the MFD is switched off it's completely unvisible except a small MFD power button and when it's on it's visible like now with buttons (I hate these cryptic key-combinations  Wink )
About the panel: I thought the "anti-aliasing" bug can be avoid by disabling it (I have an ATI, but only the "band/blurring" bug)? Anyway, Moonwalker is working on new panels...

And I would be glad if I could test your changes, feel free to mail me, I have no problems with big mails.  Happy

And don't worry about your "camera offset in VC" problem, this is "fixed" already in CVS (there is "InPanel" and "PanelId" now).

Thanks and Greetings

Tschachim

Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 06:29:28 PM »

... Another question: Earlier you wrote:

3:Fixed the virtual cockpit problem of saturn1b,it works now like in saturnV

4:Fixed the exhaust flame of lunar ascent stage :it was too thick,too large,too big,largely of center ,and started somewhere in the center of the ascent stage,and not in the nozzle of the engine.Now it's size is "correct",and it comes out the engine,where it should be.Corrected at same time position of flame from lem,which was slightly of center.

5:only minor bug:on last stage just before releasing cms from sivb,the crew was missing in the cockpit,fixed now.

These bugs are not assiged to any developer, so feel free to commit your fixes to CVS...

Anonymous
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 09:08:07 AM »

Hi Tschachim,
First i changed in the source code the cameraoffset,when switching to the docking panel:
now,when docked,the aligning device of the lem is exactly in the center of the bitmap.This has the advantage that it's position does not change with screen resolutions and FoV angle changes.The disadvantage:i needed to change the docking bmp:it is still the same,i only moved the COAS to the right,so that the crosshair is now in the center of the bmp.

It also has the advantage,that independent of the screen resolution,the panel bitmap is always on the correct position:at lower screen resolutions,you can scroll the panel around,which brings the COAS out of the correct position,so you only need to switch to the main panel and back again,to have it again on the correct position,as oribiter loads the panel bitmaps always centered.
Last advantage:the docking HUD works still with my panel,in the center,there is still the green needle,which is exactly the center of the lem aligning device when docked,and centered with the COAS.

I also changes the code so,that when switching back to the mainpanel,the cameraoffset changes also back to the left side seat of the cockpit.You know i have splitted the main panel in right and left side,so even when i switch to the right side panel,the cameraoffset changes also to the right side seat position,so that each time you change to the virtual cockpit,it' s view point corresponds to the side of the 2d panel .(nice detail).

All this needed some other checks in the source code,because when i tested it,the virtual cockpit view point was several times out of the cm,depending on the actual saturn stage,but i fixed all these,exept the one i described in my first mail.

You are right,it is enough to switch of anti-aliasing to solve the ati problem,(provided the 40 pixels added ).But orbiter looks much better with anti-aliasing on,so I searched some time,what the reason may be,and thats what i found:the ati card can not handel correctly bitmaps larger then 2048 pixels.So the splitting of the main panel bmp in to two smaller parts solved this:as i said,it works great on ati with anti-aliasing on and on screens up to 1800x1050.This has ,in my view,another advantage:on lower screen resolutions,the switching from left to right  side panels with ctrl-arrows works much faster then scrolling from on side to the other,and i splittted it so,that all the switches you need fort he mission are on the left side panel that loads as standard(i did not split in the middle).Illumination is still workin,of course.

I also have added now an MFD to the docking panel,just like on the mainpanel,without any buttons.Only it's position is a little bit odd:i guess,today most people still use a screen if 1024x768,so i placed the mfd in the upper left corner at a position so that at 1024x768,the mfd fits exactly the upper left corner,which has the disadvantage that at higher resolutions,the mfd looks a bit missplaced .But hey,we can not satisfy everybodys wishes Happy .

Finally:
I did put a lot of work into fixing this panel prolems.As you said,moonwalker is working on a new panel,which makes me a bit sad:
1.i actually love the panel as it is now,it almost looks like the real thing,and
2.I guess all the efforts i did put into this were for nothing.

At what email address do you like me to sent the files for testing?

Cheers

Yogen
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 09:52:38 AM »

Hi Yogen,

just mail it to the email in my forum profile, your changes are very interesting for me!

And don't worry about Moonwalkers new panels, they are very similar, just better readable and bigger (so we will discuss the splitting with Moonwalker again because of that anti-aliasing).

Two questions:

- What do you think about the MFD with buttons when the "frame-bitmap" is also switchable, so the MFD disapears completely when turned off?

- What about your other fixes (and the CVS)?

Thanks and Greetings

Tschachim

PS:
It also has the advantage,that independent of the screen resolution,the panel bitmap is always on the correct position:at lower screen resolutions,you can scroll the panel around,which brings the COAS out of the correct position,so you only need to switch to the main panel and back again,to have it again on the correct position,as oribiter loads the panel bitmaps always centered.

...in that way both solutions are "screen resolution independant"...  Wink

Yogenfrutz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 11:13:03 AM »

Hi Tschachim
your idea of mfd with switchable fram-bitmap is very good,this should satify most people wishes.Just one thought:if the bitmap disappears,does the button functions dissappear too,so that clicking with the mouse into some empty space does not switch something on the (not visual) mfd
(complicated explanation,i hope you understand what i mean,let me know.

I will try to commit my other fixes to the cvs,just had a problem with it:after having changed something (dont know what yet)in my apolloproject folder,the cvs prog gives me plenty of errors,I try with a new fresh checkout.

I just tried the new inpanel and panelid thing,unfortunately without any result to my problem,may be i am doing something wrong .
I will send you the stuff to your mail this evening,have to leave now.
You can then check my way and correct .

Thanks

Yogen
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 01:05:18 PM »

I'm not sure if I understood you correct, but I think I'll try to implement it, so you can see in CVS want I mean  Wink

Another point I forgot: Before commiting your bugfixes please assign the corresponding bugs in the SourceForge bug tracker to you and/or add the missing ones.

Thanks
Tschachim

Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 05:37:39 PM »

see here: http://www.ibiblio.org/mscorbit/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=79

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: