Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2020, 09:49:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo Beta 7.0 released!
http://nassp.sf.net/wiki/Installation
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Gemini
| |-+  Discussion & Help
| | |-+  entering the atomspthere
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: entering the atomspthere  (Read 3863 times)
startrekmaniac

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2006, 08:45:20 PM »

how do i re-enter earths atomphere?
BigDAS

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 01:18:11 AM »

Verrry carefully! Cool

BigDAS

"We should, in my judgement, put a man on Mars by the end of this century"
Vice President Spiro T. Agnew - July 16, 1969
Christophe
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 06:03:42 AM »

I'm currently working on the CSM/LV separation, transposition, docking and LM extraction checklist. Hope this will be complete and available in cvs tomorrow.
After that, my plan is to start the deorbit procedure from earth orbit using IMFD for burn computation and vAGC P30/P40 to execute the burn. Then, P60's for CM/SM separation and entry. Don't know wether the SCS is able to control the CM during entry but I believe not, since the O.5G mode is not available. I don't even know if the SCS or DAP can use the CM RCS. I will see.
I think that for the moment the reentry has to be performed in manual mode.
By the days of 6.4.2 I managed to do that using a home made table that gave the velocity to be matched depending on the remaining distance to the landing point. I don't exactly know how I'll do that with vAGC /NASSP 7. With 6.4.2 I used the default MFD's COM/NAV, VOR VTOL coupled to a previously build landing base in the config file and its associated VOR. I think I could do it better, more realistic and more simple in vAGC NASSP 7 by using the P60's RTOGO and crossrange error.
It's a bit like a VOR/DME approach for a plane, except that you are flying heads down, backward and the only controlled axis is the roll! Duh!
It's a bit tricky but I guess that people around here all got the right stuff! Cool

Christophe
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 06:06:29 AM »

Ooops! Sorry. I just realized this topic was in the Gemini forum and not NASSP.  Ashamed
aftercolumbia
Project Team Member

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 07:25:26 PM »

Last time I did it in a Gemini was a long time ago, but I know both OAMS and deorbit module work.  One thing it took me a while to figure out is that the lift comes out of your... Zip Lip...better not say that.  Suffice it to say, enter heads down, aft end first for bets results.

I did a more detailed answer to the general problem of entering lifting vehicles at http://aftercolumbia.tripod.com/entrytutorial based upon the Delta Glider.  Gemini starts flying like a rock at about 4500m/s, past that point its pretty much waiting for the parachutes.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: