Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 07:19:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo Beta 7.0 released!
http://nassp.sf.net/wiki/Installation
24617 Posts in 2077 Topics by 2260 Members
Latest Member: lricca
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Mercury
| |-+  Mercury Mission Control
| | |-+  MCC Beta
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: MCC Beta  (Read 33913 times)
robertsconley65
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: November 29, 2006, 11:12:40 PM »

Ok the first cut of MCC using a modified OUIPC technology is released.

You will need this if you don't have Project Mercury 5.0
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mscorbaddon/project_mercury_050116.zip?download

and Earth 1962
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mscorbaddon/earth_1962_060506.zip?download

the updated Mercury files
http://www.ibiblio.org/mscorbit/beta/project_mercury_061129.zip

The above three are standard unzip into your Orbiter directory installs.

the MCC setup program
http://www.ibiblio.org/mscorbit/beta/MCC_Setup2.exe

this is a executable that will install a VB6 application MCC.exe and CapsuleComm.exe.
This DOES NOT NEED TO BE INSTALLED IN THE ORBITER DIRECTORY. In fact I don't recommend it.

1) You will need port 38999 unblocked. Both on your windows firewall and your router if you want to be the mercury pilot.

2) Whoever is the mercury pilot will need to activate the MercIPC  plugin in Orbiter.

3) Whoever is the mercury pilot will need to know the name of the vessel they piloting. If you are using one of the Mercury scenarios it is MR-3, MR-4, MA-6, MA-7, MA-8, or MA-9. I recommend starting by using the MR-4 Liberty Bell 7 scenario as you get the nice window view and it is a 15 minute mission.

4) After the Mercury Pilot is in orbiter, the Mercury Pilot will need to run CapsuleComm.exe. Just hit connect as the Pilot is connecting through his own computer. The connect button will turn yellow if connected to Orbiter. A Windows Unblock Message may appear at this point. UNBLOCK.

5) Everyone else can run MCC.exe at this point. You will need to type the ip address of the mercury pilot's computer and then name of the capsule. This sequence will be replaced with a better dialog. If everything work there will be a green ready light in the upper right corner of the screen. If it is red exit and try again.

6) Just about every command an area does is on the top toolbar along with any keyboard short cut.

7) Sort out who is being what and goto your position from the main screen. I used the same type of switches and buttons as on Project Mercury 5.0 so it should be straight forward to use.

Cool Everyone has a chat bar across the top. You can type stuff in there and then hit enter or click send. Every station will see what you type except the capsule along the top.

9) Only Flight, and Capcomm can talk to the Capsule. Everybody can hear what the capsule says and what Capcomm and flight say. But the capsule will only see what Capcomm and Flight says. They have a switch that allows them to talk to the capsule. Eventually the Surgeon can do this as well.

10) There is only one line of text. This represent the problem of the intercomm. everyone starts chatting at once you will miss something. Except for Telmu. Telmu has the teletype and a time dated record of everyone says. I will be writing up my thoughts on how to keep everyone coordinated.

11) Every station has a ready light that can be toggled between green yellow and read. Flight can see all the stations including the capsule ready switch.

12) The mercury pilot will have to inititate the launch by applying full thrust to the Redstone/Atlas. The clock will reset to 0 and the mission will procede.

The positions are

Flight - He is the conductor and ultimate decision maker. He has a set of clocks, an abort button, and a bank of ready lights.
CapComm - He is the main conduit of information to the capsule he has a switch to control whether the capsule is hearing what he is saying.
FDO - He has four graphs at his disposal to determine the flight path of the mission.
Retro - He can set the retro clock, monitor retro status, and control various aspect of retro-fire. If the pilot can't deal with retro fire he and also initiate the retro sequence. It is suggested that he works with FDO to figure out the optimized retro time.
Procedures - has the mission plan in front of him and is responsible for making sure all items are completed in order.

the rest will have to wait for later updates. Next up will be Systems and ECS. Further expansion of Telmu, and making procedure work for atlas missions.

Thoughts on FDO I am thinking in the long run we will need a set of markers and reference charts so that you can look on the screen and figure out what going on. Basically on the lines of ok this line is a few pixel up higher that means we are in a longer orbit so this will adjust our retro times by X. I ran a few mission and they produced distinctive shapes on the graphics which I believe can be leveraged to make actual recommendations.

I have a dedicated MCC forum at
http://www.ibiblio.org/mscorbit/mscforum/index.php?board=70.0

Enjoy
Rob Conley

P.S. I am available tomorrow from 7pm EST to 10 pm EST. Post here or at

Source Code available on request under the BSD license for Project Mercury 5.0 and under the LGPL for MercIPC and MCC.

BigDAS

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 11:44:25 AM »

Hi, Rob. I installed these files from your links into a new, generic install of Orbiter, with update. For some reason, when I choose the MR-4 mission, then Start MCC, the Mercury Control starts the countdown without any interaction with the Orbiter scenario. Formerly, when I used your Beta program, the MCC countdown would start when I activated the capsule's Launch Control Ready switch, which was preset. There seems to be no preset launch time in the scenarios, either in Project Mercury or Earth 1962. Did you link to the correct files? I recall that all of the Mercury scenarios included a voice file which co-incided with the mission.
Thanks.

BigDAS

"We should, in my judgement, put a man on Mars by the end of this century"
Vice President Spiro T. Agnew - July 16, 1969
madPILOT

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 05:36:41 AM »

I install all above but not work? runtime error and so on ? first few second works good after this error.

I use the 127.0.0.1 internal connections i would test it.

If possible to tell me what i need? to run this MCC program with Mercury? would be fine i like this. 
madPILOT

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 03:08:30 PM »

the picture are large the reason is you can read the text.
Eagle

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 12:12:58 AM »

do we know when exactly the mcc will not be a beta anymore?
missleman01
Project Team Member

missleman01 missleman01 graves299
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 10:12:01 PM »

Rob, Ive been working on an excell spreadsheet and macro that based on an initial spacecraft condition can run a keplerian solution on the orbit and then generate a table of lat/long positions and hopefully identify comm passes with the locations in the mercury tracking network and find a retro time. Ive got the basic orbit plotter to run in excell and im playing with format and contemplating adding subroutines to search the table for comm passes, etc. and propogate a simple reentry.

I havent tried the MCC beta stuff, but im wondering if youve gone very far in the Flight Dynamics simulation here. Im wondering if I will be duplicating much. My goal is to basically make a flight planner that can compute times, etc... that the mission will have based on initial conditions from booster sep. This is more along the lines of the prediction work Goddard was doing with its IBM mainframes (although not exact since they probably did some estimation, im just doing kepler maths)

Would a tool like that be useful as a spreadsheet a potential FDO team could pull up, or are you planning to take care of stuff like this?

-John
Christophe
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 04:23:36 AM »

I've already done something like that:
Look at here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/mscorbit/mscforum/index.php?topic=1049.60

My excell spredsheet, called EOCA, can do some position predictions and taking into account the non spherical gravity field J2 perturbation.

It also can perform the computations for the required orbit maneuvers.
This was especially designed for Apollo, because the delta V's are expressed in the LVLH coordinates, with the DSKY format.
I was wondering, since the begining, wether it couldn't be adpted for Mercury and Gemini;
The required changes are only relative to the OAMS specifications (for Gemini) and the ground network (for both Mercury a,d Gemini).

I attached the latest version, a zip file containing the spreadsheet itself plus a very (too much?) brief doc that explains the use of it.

PS: Allthough the earth coordinates positions prediction worked well a few weeks ago, the earth longitude prediction seems now to be messed up. Sorry for that, I'll fix it sooner.

RacerXx

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 01:18:57 AM »

I am also having exact same problem as madpilot...I tryed a local and lan connection both with same result. AND a fresh install to c:\orbiter using base , planethires then the files robertsconley linked here on forum. anybody else have same issues?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 02:29:28 AM by deltawing777 » Logged
Freudenthal
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 09:39:05 PM »

ok reply is only a year late but im having same problem as it is crashing orbiter when i attempt to run both orbiter and MCC on same computer. is this still a ongoing project?
Freudenthal
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 10:36:53 AM »

this is what i am doing, i start orbiter then i connect capsule comm with no address and i get yellow connect light. i then start mcc with no address and i get a green in upper right corner. it is when i click on the map tab that orbiter crashes.
Freudenthal
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 12:27:12 PM »

well i have found more info but still no joy. this link to another forum gave me link to another updated mercury file but still orbiter crashes when going to map or any tab actually. http://www.orbitersim.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=11574. does anyone know of anymore work that has been done since this post?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: