Meadville Space Center Forum Index Meadville Space Center
Know the future through the past

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LRV Console (3D)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Meadville Space Center Forum Index -> Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redburne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: LRV Console (3D) Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

For the past few days I have worked on a little project and it has now reached the stage where I can say with some confidence that everything will eventually work the way I envisioned it.

It has also reached the stage where I would not like to do unnecessary work just in case someone else is working on the same thing:

I am building a working VC model of the Lunar Rover console. This is only the console itself, plus some moving parts, and it can - with only small modifications - be added to any LRV mesh (including, obviously, the current one). So far, only the compass is working, and the console is not in the proper place (for easier testing).

So, if noone else is working on the LRV console, especially a 3D version, or has any other objections/suggestions, I will go ahead and slowly add more stuff.

Oh, and great job, everyone! Your recent progress has been amazing!
movieman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, keep it up!
Swatch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that Moonwalker was planning on getting to this after he finished with the LEM...and he offered it to me to do a 2-D panel, but I won't be able to, and he's pushing to get the LEM done. I think nobody would care if you did it! In fact, I think you'll make quite a few friends if you did it! Laughing Looks amazing from my end, keep up the good work!!!
Moonwalker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was planning to include a 2D panel of the LRV. But the 3D panel above just looks great Shocked I think a 3D panel would be phantastic but I'm not able to do 3D stuff and virtual cockpits Wink

So, I'd guess keep going and start your 3D LRV console project, Redburne Very Happy
Christophe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty cool. I think you should have the "go" from everybody here!
Redburne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys!

Progress is slow (I'm learning modeling in general and Blender in particular while doing this), but steady:

I'm not striving for 100% accuracy (mainly due to lack of good reference pictures), yet. My highest priority is to get console with working speed indicator, heading indicator, bearing and distance to the LM and range indicator. I have not yet decided whether I will actually implement any of the switches or even model the electrical system. I'm not sure if it is worth the effort.

If anyone of you happens to know some good reference pictures, especially close-ups, of the console, I'd love to know! You can see my best reference pictures in the first image I've posted. They are of good overall quality, but it is pretty hard to judge the actual shape of the switches.

Most of all, I'd like to see some pictures of the console *on the lunar surface*. Many of the pictures I've found are of a prototype (golden dashboard) or of the 1g trainer (with different switch designs, to boot), but I've yet to find a good shot of any console that was actually used.
Swatch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool....don't know if you've seen this...but it might be a bit helpful

http://apollomaniacs.web.infoseek.co.jp/apollo/lrve.htm

also...here's a BIG supply of info...

http://www.geocities.com/bobandrepont/lrvpdf.htm
Redburne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Swatch.

I knew the former link. The information regarding the console seems to be a straight copy of the LRV Operations Manual.

The latter link is new and a great ressource! I've already found an interesting document I didn't know.
Zachstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are using Blender Very Happy

Keep up the good work!

-------------------------------------------
Orbiter Blender Support http://sourceforge.net/projects/blorbiter/ Use a powerful piece of free software to do your 3D work for Orbiter!
-----------------------------
Orbiter Development Links by Simcosmos http://simcosmos.planetaclix.pt/01_orbiter/SC_util/util_in.htm
-----------------------------------------------
OpenKosmos Space Sim http://openkosmos.sourceforge.net/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Redburne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zachstar wrote:
Glad you are using Blender Very Happy

I'm actually quite fond of 2.41. I had tried Blender before, one or two years ago, but could not get to grips with it. The latest version seems to have improved a lot. And being able to use my favorite scripting language (Python) to extend it, is almost too good to be true. Smile

A little update on my (slow) work:

Most of the console is modelled now. One notable exception are the four big dials in the power section which are only represented by placeholder textures. The shape of the breakers is not quite right yet, but they can easily be modified.
I will probably start to wire it up in code during the coming weekend.

Oh, and one funny little story I just have to share: When I started to research the console, I found very sharp, diagonal lines on some of the switches on my main reference picture (shown in the left part of the image below). I wondered if they were some kind of special markings for the astronauts or engineers. Today, I finally pulled the camera back from the upper left quadrant of the console for the first time. And when I did the first render of the entire console, I got almost exactly the same lines as shadows from the switch guard wires. I never placed the light source to get effect - I actually never touched the light source since I first placed it on an empty canvas. Quite a coincidence ... Shocked
Tschachim

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shadow story is a cool experience, thanks for sharing. Smile
It's great to see the progress, keep up the good work!

Cheers
Tschachim
Redburne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

My little project has finally reached the stage where the results are actually useful:

Compass, distance, range and bearing work. There is still a lot of work to do, especially the missing dials (speed, battery status, temperature monitor), but now adding these it is just a matter of time.
I did have some problems getting the model from Blender to Orbiter, since the normals were not exported correctly, but I've written a script to fix the normals and it seems to work well.

The script also takes care of merging my console with the original (console-less) LRV mesh. It also creates an include file with #defines for all the groups in the mesh, data for animations, and stuff like that.
This means that I can easily reposition the console or even add it to some other LRV mesh. It is just a matter of repositioning the console in Blender, exporting it, and running the script to update the include file. No time consuming hunting for animation points, axes, and so on. Very convenient. Smile

I have committed my changes to the CVS. Please let me know if I have forgotten something.
movieman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't build for me. Some CalcSphericalXXX functions are missing.
Redburne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed! Please check out
Orbitersdk\samples\ProjectApollo\Saturn5_LEVA\Saturn5_LEVA.dsp
again.

I had to add OrbiterMath.cpp to the project and forgot to commit the changes to the project file.
movieman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works, but I'm hearing Russian sounds for some reason Smile. Also, the bearing displayed appears to be over 800 degrees: is that right?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Meadville Space Center Forum Index -> Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: