* To monitor human rights situations in Mon territory and other areas southern part of Burma

* To protect and promote internationally recognized human rights in Burma

human rights foundation of monland

Human Rights Report 5/95  (
July 27, 1995)

P.O. Box 11, Ratchburana, Bangkok 10140, Thailand



SLORC's destruction of Kyauktayan Village


Background of destruction of Kyauktayan village


Kyauktayan village with more than 200 households is situated in the Andaman sea's coastal areas of Yebyu township, Tavoy district, Tenasserim Division of Burma. At the beginning of 1995, when the SLORC started to construct the military camps for security establishment of gas pipeline, Kyauktayan and other Mon villages were in suspicion of rebel bases of troops from Mon National Liberation Army, for making disturbance to their planned projects. In fact, by operating the new tactic in destroying the specious rebel base around the area, the SLORC destroyed Kyauktayan village in recent February. Kyauktayan, a biggest fishing community village along the coast, is actually not on the right along gas pipeline route. But from this village, it is very convenient to leave into Andaman sea and the village is meanwhile perceived as posing a threat to the pipeline. Considerably, the SLORC has plans to destroy all threat perceived villages in this area since previous time and the SLORC soldiers have committed human rights violations on the local inhabitants by forcing them to leave the concerned areas and village community. On the other hand, this Kyauktayan village is not under complete control of SLORC, which situated similarly in conflict area and the SLORC could not make possible relocation of this village to another possible big village. Therefore, they used inhumane ill-treatments on the villagers to leave their village of their own accord.


On 16 February, about 100 troops of SLORC's Light Infantry Battalion 406 led by Col. Aung Min and Lt. Col. Win Aung came into village and arrested village headmen and took them to Natkyisin village which situated one day walk from Kyauktayan where the SLORC troops taking base. In the military base, the commander forced village headmen to quickly relocate their villagers to Natkyisin. When the village headmen suggested about the impossible relocation of this village as the most villagers were survival for fishing, the troops did not accept their complaint and issued the order that the village must be relocated within one week. Or, if not, the troops forcefully will relocate or destroy the village. In this case, the military gave reason that the Kyauktayan villagers have allowed Mon troops to stay and rebels were taking base in their village and it had to move villagers to establish law and order restoration. Again, on the 23 February, following the order, about 150 troops of the same battalion came into village and ordered the villagers to move out from the village quickly and destroyed every house. The soldiers looted all belongings of the villagers while they did not allow any villagers to gather their own living stocks and belongings in their houses. According the villagers, they lost about 1000, 000 Kyat costs of all belongings and stocks which looted by soldiers. The villagers had to flee out from their village and displaced in jungle east of village while some were displaced along the coastal areas. The soldiers also threatened to the villagers that if they met any villager in village, they will punish or kill. After the village was completely destroyed, no one dare to return back and stay in their village again. Only some villagers returned back for few hour to collect the rest living stocks or belongings in their houses.


The living conditions of the displaced villagers have been terrible and they arc facing food-shortage problems. Accompanying with the food-shortage and lack of possible shelters, the villagers especially women and children have been suffering for malnutrition, malaria and other diseases.


Even they were displaced, they have been still unsafe from arresting of forced porters by the SLORC troops and continuously execution of porters on the way when the troops launched military operations. Some villagers were arrested on the way while they were finding for some foods for their families and took by military as porters to carry loads. Anyhow, the most villagers would not like to abandon their own village and living stocks to flee to border refugee camps, as they think they can return back to the village again in rainy reason when the SLORC reduced their activities. For the fishing community of Kyauktayan villagers, most of them do not have possible farmlands for cultivating crops like other villagers and their whole survivals totally depended on the fishing jobs in Andaman sea. Thus, it is hoped they will return homes in rainy season and plan for fishing.


Last year in March, this village also burnt down by the Burmese troops after a small fighting between their troops and Mon troops occurred close to the village. In this year, the SLORC deploys more troops around this area and they could control large areas than last year. Therefore, the fighting with Mon troops also decreased down. But the village is still under suspicion of rebel base and the SLORC had to dislocate it for the security of gas pipeline. Before the disturbance, the SLORC troops also angered to villagers for their inadequate arrangements in providing the demanded forced labourers for Ye-Tavoy railway and military base constructions, forced porters for military operations, and tax payments. They have no other jobs for survivals except fishing and sometime, they could not provide labourers or payments which the troops regularly asked. As a result, the Burmese troops accused them that the villagers were allegedly encouraged by Mon troops to not carry out their demands and at the end, the soldiers destroyed the Kyauktayan village.



Collecting related informations


In recent June, the HURFOM human rights workers traveled to this area to collect informations about the displaced populations there. Because of the proposed infrastructure projects of SLORC, many villages of Mon, Karen, Tavoyan local inhabitants were relocated, dislocated or destroyed by SLORC troops. Mostly, those villages were under suspicion of rebel bases by SLORC. The villages under the SLORC complete control have been more severely constricted by military for porters, labourers and tax payments than the villages not under the complete control of them. The villagers who have no longer tolerate on the conscription of the military fled to refugee camps or displaced in forests and coastal areas.


According to the villagers who came from village where SLORC taking base around the gas pipeline route explained that they had to provide Burmese troops as below free labour and tax payments.


Forced Labourers have been conscripted since at the beginning of dry season. Most of the villages on the route of proposed gas pipeline are mostly Tavoyan and Karen villages. Most of Tavoyan villages were situated along the seashore and west part of pipeline route while most of Karen villages are situated in thick forest of east part of proposed route. In the gas pipeline construction process, even the foreign company TOTAL has not directly used any slave labourers, the SLORC troops have completely used local civilians as slave labourers in constructing their military barracks, in clearing the pipeline route and providing facilities related to pipeline. As a conclusion, it means pipeline construction process totally used slave labour under the management of local military commanders and TOTAL has been indirectly related to conscription of slave labourers. But the TOTAL remained quietly on this issue and blind their eyes anyhow. Even TOTAL complained they paid for the labourers who they used in construction for 200 Kyat per day, there have been a large number of villagers in that area still working for SLORC without any payment. Most of villagers had to build the military barracks in Heinze Boke island, which must considerably be the main security base for offshore pipeline construction. Some villagers explained that even the TOTAL paid for the most 1000 labourers who were brought by SLORC from Rangoon and somewhere not from this area. Very few villagers became as labourers receiving payments while the most inhabitants still remain as slave labourers.


Forced Portering have been recruited by the Burmese military tatmadaw for a long time but more terrible in SLORC period. In this portering recruitment in their military operation, the SLORC ordered the respective village headmen to gather and provide demanding porters in rotating basis of villagers in their control areas. For the villagers who are not under their control, must be recruited forcefully. Normally, as soon as the military came into villages, they arrested all male villagers for portering and sometimes even women were used as porters when they could not get men. Those arrested villagers had to carry heavy burdens of ammunition or foods in front line or other military operations, starved on the way, and tortured or executed by soldiers when they could not carry because of weakness or sickness.


Tax payments are separately different in many kinds.   For local inhabitants who are staying under SLORC controlled villagers have to pay more kinds of tax payments than who are not in SLORC-controlled areas.   For example, there are taxes for developments like railway and gas pipeline constructions, for security of villages like the SLORC troops are taking security and protect the villagers from dangerous manners of insurgent groups and for hiring porters and etc..


The above mentioned human rights violations are mostly committed by the troops who are active in this area. Most the Light Infantry Battalion (LIB) No. 401-410, No. 343 and other Infantry Battalion (IB) No. 61, No. 25 and etc..



Focus of current report


This report focuses on the Burmese troops' destruction of Kyauktayan village. To get the true informations, HURFOM conducted interviews with many villagers of Kyauktayan who were displaced in the forest in recent June. In interviews, most of victims explained the same event about 23 February military's destruction of village. Briefly, it states as above. Moreover, the interview #1 mentions about SLORC's execution of Kyauktayan innocent villager while the interview #2 mentions about killing of porters by SLORC's soldiers. And, the interview #3 mentions the situation of displaced villagers and ill-treatment against porters even after the village already destroyed.


To protect the persons who were conducted interviews, the report does not use the real name of interviewees and changed all their names. However, all events and stories were true which really happened in Burma and, please feel free and can change the better usage of English. It is hoped that all information must be usefully in helping international community to stop SLORC from committing such brutal abuses and promote internationally recognized human rights in Burma.



Interview #1


Name: U Them Aung

Age/ Sex: 56 years/ Male

Nationality/Religion: Mon-Burmese/ Buddhist

Occupation: Medic

Native Place: Beelin, Mon State

Current Resident: Kyauktayan village, Yebyu Township, Tenasserim Division

Interview Date: 16 June, 1995.


Because of hardship for the survivals in Burmese Socialist Programme Party (BSPP) time, the civilians had to move from one place to another to get more income for their families. U Thein Aung briefed his previous life and how he decided to move to Kyauktayan.


Burma's prolonged civil war and hardship survival of  people                                      


Q When did you arrive this village and why?

I arrived this village about ten years ago.   Ten years ago, after I retired from the government service as a medic in the government hospital I moved here.   In the time I retired from works I tried hard to get some income in my native town, but I  got very small income which could not provide for my family and the commodities price also increased every day.   So I decided to move this local fishing village to receive more income than my native place Beelin.   At that time, because of black market as the boat traveled to Pinam island of Malaysia, this village was very suitable to receive more income.   When the time I started moving here, I was only one and later my family came and joined me in this village.    This village was absolutely under the control of the New Mon State Party and the situation was better than the current time. No Burmese troops could not reach to this area, we were free to work and no any tax to give the Burmese troops from our income. So, in this village, I was the most respected person as I always helped the local villagers as I can.


General treatments of troops in local areas                                                       


Q Please brief me the ill-treatments of Burmese troops as you know.

But last four years ago, the Burmese troops tried to control this area.   At that time, I considered some of them were good and some were bad.  Anyhow, I helped them when they asked as I was a former government servant.  Last two years, after they SLORC started the railway construction and tried for complete control in this area, they have treated the villagers inhumanely, I disagreed with them for everything they did.   As I have stayed with this Mon, Tavoyan community for 10 years, sometime I also complained to respective commander of the troops for ill-treatments to villagers. But I could not overcome to solve that problem and protect them at all. At the end, even my son was killed by them.


Continuously, he explained about the Burmese troops executed his son as below, when asked him the following questions.


LIB 470's  execution of innocent villager


Q Can you tell me the terrible story of your son?

Yes. I can tell you about my son, Chit Pow. My son was young and only 23 years old. He was killed in January of this year. On 24 January, one company of Burmese troops, about 150 soldiers, from LIB 410 led by Col. Ye Myint arrived to Kyauktayan village about noon time. I though they came from the Kyaethonenyima village where they have military base. On that day I was at home. My family members never fled from the village when any Burmese came into the village because I have been a medic for a long time and I ever helped Burmese troops when they asked. As soon as they arrived the village, one soldier came to my house and informed my son to meet their commander. My son went down from the house and followed along that soldier. T though as normal like the commander asked for some helps to my son. I never thought they will kill my son. At that time my son was as a section leader in village. I believed my son was ordered by commander to go somewhere or to another village to collect the information about the Mon troops. SLORC                     In the evening I also went to the house where the commander stayed and but I did not ask anything about my son as I still believed he was used to do something by commander.   On the next day 25 January morning, the Burmese troops left from our village and so I could not meet the commander again on that day.    I   still  Relieved my son followed with them or went other village.


I started to worry after one week later because my son did not return back to home yet. To ask for my son where he was, I went to military headquarters of LIB 410 in Zinba. When I arrived there, I met commander and asked him about my son and he told me they already released my son on the half way. I insisted them that my son did not return home yet. He said he did not know where my son went and he said he thought my son had another purpose after the Burmese troops released him. He said he did not use my son as porter and just to help a little bit to show the way. I was confused and returned back to my home again. My family waited for him for another one week and but he did not return back.


After that I had to inquire about my son where he had ever visited. Then I went to several villages like Kwaethonenyima, Hpaungtaw, Daneckyar, Natkyisin and etc.. I spent for two months to ask for my son, and during that period I also met many times to the commanders of LIB 410. Consistently the commanders replied to me my son was released on the half way and they did not know where he was. They did not take any responsibility for the missing of my son. My wife always cried and pushed me to find out my son. Anyhow, with the helps of village leaders even we hardly attempted to get information about my son and but the time passed over I could not received any information about him.


No reason and no trial for SLORC soldiers' execution


Q Later, how did you know your son was killed by the military?

After two month, I still inquired for my missing son. Sometime,! thought he traveled to Pinam island of Malaysia without informing to me. One day when the Burmese troops from LIB 408 came into Kyaethonenyima, I met their commander Col. Khin Maung Aye there. I knew him very well and I told him about my missing son. Even when the time I told him about this story, I never accused the Burmese soldiers from LIB 410 killed my son. As I was a former government servant, I have never considered the soldiers will kill my son. After I completed telling about my missing son, Col Khin Maung Aye smiled and told me to donate alms to monks for my son. (It meant his son already died and as traditional in Mon or Burmese, it needed to donate alms to Buddhist monks after someone died to avoid the evil life and pray for the better life for the dead person in future.) I still did not believe on his words and thought he made a joke. After two weeks, I traveled to Hpaungtaw again to collect information about my son. In there I met Col. Khin Maung Aye again and he told me the same words as in Kyaethonenyima. I asked him what happened to my son. And he explained me that my son already died. I asked him for what crime the soldiers killed and where they buried the corpse of my son. He said he did not know the exact place, but he was sure that my son already died. I was very surprise and sorrowful. As I knew, my son has never made any wrong things to them like contacting or supporting the Mon troops. I don't know why they killed my son.


Then I inquired the way which LIB 410 used on 25 January when they moved to their headquarters. Later, I knew the way and I tried to find out the place where the soldiers buried my son for one week, but I did not meet any suspicious place. I also inquired the farmers who resided along the way the LIB 410 used about my missing son. One day in the first week of April, an old farmer who resided beside the road came to me and told me that on that day (January 25) when he was working in his farms, two soldiers came to him and borrowed his hoes and went away. But he did not hear any gun sound he said. Immediately I got that information I and some villagers went to his farm hut. His farm hut situated close to way the troops used and we tried to know the place the soldiers buried my son. On the next day we met a suspicious position as we also met a grenade in there. So, we informed the NMSP authorities and told them about the grenade and they came and took that grenade. And we exhumed the position and at the end we saw corpse of my son.


Q How did you know that corpse was your son?

He was my son and stayed together with me for a long time. Why not? It was very easy for me to recognize that the corpse was my son. I knew his clothes and his height. Those are the evidences that corpse was my son. He was not so high and he was young.


Q  How do you think for what reason the soldiers killed?

I still do not know for what reasons they killed my son. He was young and sincere. He never acted or performed any kinds of opposing behaviors to the military. I don't know why the soldiers killed him. I never thought they will kill my son like this. Even I asked them one time to the commander why they killed my son, he always denied that the soldiers did not kill my son. As I knew my son was sincere man and he never contacted any rebel groups. Sometimes when the rebel came into village, he never met or supported them in any way. I also told the commander that if my son committed some kinds of opposing behaviours to Burmese troops, they can inform me. I agreed for arresting and detaining him, if he made wrong sometime. I think my son did not commit any crime which reached to accept the punishment of death penalty.


Q Do you have plan to put trial to the soldiers who killed your son?

You see, I would like to do. As long as I stayed here, I think I could not put them to trial. This area is black area. They could do as they like. If the area like my hometown (Beelin), I will put trial for killing my son. In here, we cannot reach any just decision.


He was dissatisfy on the military too much and also described other military execution on innocent like his son, but not the same events.   He also mentioned about those dead villagers.


Other executions by SLORC troops  


Q Beside the execution of your son, have you ever other cases of killing?

Dislike [besides?] my son, other villagers from this village ever died when they were conscripted as porters on the way. I have not been so sure that were they died for hardship or by torturing of Burmese troops. Normally, if one porter could not carry the heavy loads the troops offered, that porter must be beaten by soldiers. In this year, from Kyauktayan village alone, I heard there were three porters died when they were with troops along the operations as conscripted porters.  The first one is named Maung Sein died around the Budee village area, which situated south of our village. The second villager was Ah Baing and he died in Thaung Khun village. Then the last villager was Aung Naing and he died in Khaw Zar village. According to the porters released back and villagers, the most dead porters were severely beaten by solders and they died for the tortures, but some porter also died in the fighting.


Q Among three of them, do you know how they died because of tortures or in the fighting?

Among three of them, Maung Sein and Ah Baing died because of tortures by Burmese soldiers. Firstly, the troops used them as porters and on the way, they could not carry the loads such as foods or ammunitions of the soldiers and they were severely beaten and later they died. Aung Naing was died because of the fighting Mon troops and Burmese troops near Khaw Zar village. Khaw Zar village is the biggest village in the area. When the Burmese troops launched an operation, they were ambushed by Mon troops on halfway. In this case, The Burmese troops used him and other porters to walk in front of the troops as human shields. After he died, the troops consisted that they used him only to show way not for human shield.


The following interview is related to the interview which conducted with U Thein Aung, in his inter- view, he mentioned about the three dead porters. This interview states for the death of one porter named Nai Ah Baing, who was died after severely tortured by Burmese soldiers. The interviewee is a person who had eye-witness in this Burmese soldiers' human rights violation. He explained the whole story as follow.



Interview #2

Name: Nai Sike Kao

Age/ Sex: 29 years/ Male

Nationality/ Religion: Mon/ Buddhist

Occupation: Farmer

Native Place: Kyauktayan village, Yebyu Township

Interview Date: 16 June, 1995.


Firstly, the interviewee explained how oftenly the Burmese military came into village, before and after it was destroyed.


Forced labour, forced porters and taxations by SLORC troops


Q How oftenly the Burmese troops came into your village in this dry season and what kinds of ill-treatments on villagers?

The Burmese troops oftenly came to our village about three times at the beginning of dry season. As usual, when the Burmese troops came into our village, they always arrests the villagers to subject as porters even the villagers had paid portering tax recently. In this dry season, only in October and November, the villagers were conscripted as labourers in constructing Ye-Tavoy railway and the soldiers came to take forced labour also. Furthermore, starting from December, when the troops came to villages they also asked for taxation for railway construction and other military buildings but they did not take labourers for railway. Our villagers had to pay nearly 25, 000 Kyat each month to the Burmese troops to avoid from such forced labours. After they did not conscript forced porters, they asked more cashes and they arrested more porters in village when they came. Many man villagers have even been arrested as porters since December. And after our village was destroyed in the last week of March, men were also arrested as porters on the way, in the farmlands, in places where they were displaced together with their families.


Q How many times have you ever been conscripted as porter in this dry season?

I have ever been as porters for two times in this years. I was arrested as porter in my farm last year December, while I was harvesting rice. When my rice was ripe, my wife had a birth of child, I lost half amount of rice produced from my farm. It lasted for six days I was along with Burmese troops to carry ammunition. They took security along the railway construction and when the troops arrived Paukpingwin military base, they released me. For latter time, I was arrested to be a porter on 15 May just recently in my farmland. In this trip, we had to carry heavy burdens to Kwaethonenyima military outpost which situated one and half day walk from our village. In this time, one of porters from our village died after the Burmese soldiers severely beated him. I was the one who brought him to village.


He told his experiences when he and his friend were used as porters in May.   His friend was died on the way.


Q Please describe me the whole story about that dead porter.

On 14 May, about 100 Burmese troops of SLORC LIB 408 arrived closely to our village, they also arrested me on my way secretly returning home in village in the evening. I tried to return to take some left facility to start new cultivation in coming rainy season. When I was arrested, Ah Baing, 36 years old, was with them and I did not know where he was arrested. Even we were not staying in same section of village, we knew each other. When we were arrested, there was no villager in the village and mostly they were displaced outside of village. After the soldiers arrested me they gave me some load which was comprised mostly the belongings of the villagers from other village. On the first day, the troops advanced to Min Galon village. We slept one night in Min Galon village.


LIB 408 killed a porter from Kyauktayan


From Min Galon village, we altogether moved to Chaung Phar village in the morning on the next day. When we left from there, the soldiers did not feed any food to us. Along the way the soldiers did not allow us to take a rest or we were too tire because of the hot sun-shine. Before we arrived Chaung Phar village, on the way, Ah Baing terribly tire because of his heavy load. So he could not walk like soldiers and his steps were slow down. And the soldiers told him to walk quickly but he could not walk. The soldiers were angry to him and beated him to walk quickly. But he could not walk at all and also asked for water. Instead of offering water, the soldiers beated him. Three soldiers including one sergeant beated him several times in front of all porters and told us that was punishment for the one who lazy. They beated him with their rifle butts and combat boots. After several times of beating, he became weak and weak. When the soldiers asked why he did not walk like other persons, he insisted he was recovered from sickness just two days ago and explained why he could not walk. The soldiers did not believe on him. And they continuously beated him.


Q Did he get any injury on his body and what happened at the end?

He did not get any outside injury. I think he got inner injuries a lot. The soldiers beated in his stomach mostly and we could not see outside injury. After several times of beatings, at the end, he became losing consciousness and lied down on the ground. No one dare to help him because we were afraid the soldiers. After he lost consciousness like that, the soldiers asked the porters who knew him. I replied to them I knew him. Therefore they told me to bring him to Chaung Phar village. We arranged a salon stretcher to carry him to Chaung Phar.


Q Did you have an eye-witness when he died?

I was an eye-witness when he died in Chaung Phar village. We carried him to Chaung Phar with stretcher and but the medic in the troops did not treat him at all. After we walked for one hour, we arrived Chaung Phar village. When we arrived the village, there were no body in the village and we could not get any traditional herbal medicine. The soldiers did not ask about his conditions and we treated him as possible as we can. We offered him some coconut water. But he did not recover to continue for another breath and we knew he could not survive. We went to medic and appealed for help. Later he came and gave him some medicine. I did not know what kind of medicine. About five minutes later, he died on that house.


Q What the soldiers respond after he died?

After he died, again the soldiers warned us not to claim he was died because of their several beatings. They also forced us to tell his family and his native villagers that he was died because of weakness and sickness of diseases. When the troops left from Chaung Phar, they put me and other our villagers to bury him. So, the other man returned back to Kyauktayan and informed his family about his death. In the evening his family came to Chaung Phar and with the helps of that villagers we buried him on the next day afternoon. Even I did not claim the man was died because of beatings, his family and villagers knew well what happened on him.



Interview #3


Name: Nai Maung Htaik

Age/ Sex: 41 years/ Male

Nationality/ Religion: Mon/ Buddhist

Occupation: Fisherman

Native Place: Kyauktayan village, Yebyu Township.

Interview Date: 16 June, 1995.


After Kyauktayan village was destroyed by SLORC troops, the villagers have been displaced in several places outside village. They were threatened by SLORC soldier that if they were arrested by soldiers they must be killed.


The situation of displaced villagers


Q Could you manage for fishing after the Burmese troops destroyed your village?

I could not manage too much. I could go to the sea for fishing only two times after the Burmese soldiers destroyed our village. After that my family has been displaced like other villagers. We did not dare to stay in the village because we frightened for the Burmese soldiers" accusation on us as supporters of Mon rebel. At         presence, I temporarily resided with my brother family in his pine-apple plantation. The survival of our family has depended on some products from that plantation and borrowing rice from him. He is a farmer. To get some small income, I went to the sea for two times to fish and but after I got fishes, there was no market in our village to sell. Therefore I needed to send my fishes to Daneekyar village. It was inconvenient and my fishes became useless to sell in both times. Later I decided not to fish again.


Q At presence, what are another hardships for our family and other villagers who were displaced like you?

We are the most lucky family among our villagers as we stayed in plantation where is easier to get foods. Many families have been terrible for survivals to receive foods and suitable shelters. After we have no more opportunity for fishing, every families have no enough income to buy foods and so they had to borrow rice or cashes from another villages like Khaw Zar and Hangan.  Other families have been taking shelters along the seacoast area and staying about five to ten families together in one place. They separated several places. Some families are staying in the forest or in valley position of mountainous areas east of our village. Most of them have been suffered for the shortage of foods. In coastal area for whom taking refuge there have to eat fishes or crabs without rice. If we got rice, it needed to keep it well and arranged making rice soup and took it. Because of shortage of food and improper shelters, mostly women and children suffered from sickness. No one dare to return to village. I was also arrested and subjected as porter one time when we were displaced. It was just recently in May.


Q Do you hope you can return back to your village again?

I would like to return back to my home as soon as possible, but the situation did not allow us for decision to return. I am surely, if the villagers were arrested by Burmese soldiers in village, they will punish and severely torture up to die. I think in this rainy season we can return back if the troops did not launch military operation oftenly. It must be also difficult for them to travel from one place to another because of water level.


Q Can you tell me your other experiences before or after you was displaced?

In this dry season, I was conscripted as porter for one time before I was displaced or escaped from my village. It was in February. When the Burmese troops from LIB 410 came into our village I was arrested by them and they took me for three days as porter to carry ammunition like 60 mm mortar shells. When the troops arrived to Natkyisin military outpost the troops released all porters. Nothing happened to the porters except the soldiers beated them a little bit when they walked slow. In second time, when I was arrested and subjected as porter, one porter for our village was severely beaten by Burmese soldiers. They released me with that suffered porter on the half way.


He explained about one porter who was severely tortured by SLORC troops just recently May.


Forced porters used by LIB 470


Q  Please explain me the whole story for the terrible suffering porter.

On 6 May, when I returned back from finding some sea products, the Burmese soldiers who came from Daneekyar village suddenly arrested on my way to temporary place. The troops was from LIB 408 and the numbers of soldiers were nearly 150 men and with another about 40 porters. After they arrested me, they subjected as porter to carry some belongings. I thought those belongings were looted from another village by troops. Among the porters, Nai Khaing (47 years) was also arrested by troops and I knew him as he was from our village. He told me he was arrested in Daneekyar village while he borrowed some rice from his relatives there.


LIB 408 tortured porter who was sick


Before we left from the place, he was looked like weak and too tire as he carried loads from Daneekyar village. After the arrested and put me some loads, we moved forward to our village, Kyauktayan. When we arrived there, the soldiers gave a little food and slept there for one night. At that night, Nai Khaing became sickness of malaria. He could not sleep for the whole night. In the morning his face was faint and weaker. When the troops warned to be ready for the trip, he also told the soldiers he was not so well and to release him. They angered to him and one sergeant slapped. Then they gave him yesterday's heavy loads to carry. They did not reduce his loads even Nai Khaing complained to them. Then we left from Kyauktayan to Ah Buee village.


About 10 o'clock, because of the heavy loads and weakness, he was too tire and impossible to continuously carry the loads. At the end after he was intolerable he dropped down his loads to ground. The soldiers behind him angered on his manners and, came and healed him. One sergeant also accompanied with two soldiers in beating him. The sergeant beated him with a stick and the soldiers beated him with rifle butts and combat boots. The sergeant continuously beated him until his stick was completely broken into pieces. But he did not stop and found another sticks to beat him. He was terribly lied down on the ground and no one dare to help him. After three sticks were totally broken into pieces, the sergeant stopped beating. He lost consciousness and could not stand up. And, the sergeant informed the medic to check his conditions. The medic came and injected some kinds of medicines which I did not know. After that they asked all porters who know Nai Khaing well and no one dare to answer. At the end I replied that I knew him well and he was our villagers. So, the sergeant told me to wait Nai Khaing until he died and to quickly inform them if he died. He also warned me if I failed to inform them about him, they will punish me. They never left any foods for us.


Therefore, I waited for Nai Khaing and the troops left to Ah Buee village. About half hours after they left, I carried Nai Khaing in my back and brought him to Kyauktayan as quickly as I can, because I would like to save his life. After one hour walk, he was awakened when I called him. I was very glad and continuously brought him to village. After half hour, he told me he could walk with my help and he managed for walking with my assistance. After four hours walk, we arrived back close to the village in the evening. We entered to one my friend's hut and found out one traditional herbal medic to treat him. And, after one week treatment with traditional medic, he recovered.