2. Extra-judicial Killing, Summary or Arbitrary Execution


"Sometimes, when the BA commanders ordered the villagers to relocate from their villages, which were suspected as rebel base, if the villagers delayed to relocate, they were punished or killed for their refusal. " (Source: KIC)

2.1 Background

During 2002, there continued to be reports of arbitrary and summary executions, rape, torture and physical assualt committed against civilians by SPDC troops and their allies. The military, members of the SPDC endorsed people’s militias ("pyi thu sit"), and other SPDC officials including Military Intelligence (MI) and Police were the perpetrators of these crimes. These acts of violence were largely committed against ethnic minority members living in armed conflict areas. According to Human Rights Watch, "Life in conflict affected areas, where the Burmese army sought to deny ethnic minority insurgents all sources of support, remained particularly grim" (source: World Report 2003, Human Rights Watch, 2003). Extra judicial killings were largely committed against people suspected of being members or sympathizers of armed ethnic opposition groups and villagers enduring forced labor and portering duties. Summary killings also took place in the course of capturing villagers for the purpose of forced labor and portering. Women are commonly killed by soldiers after being raped for fear of leaving evidence of their crimes. Troops regularly commit these crimes with impunity and, in many cases, complaints made by the victim or victim’s families are met with indifference, reprisals or threats of reprisals.

Many arbitrary executions are carried out in line with the SPDC’s "Four-Cuts" policy, which is practiced in the areas of armed ethnic conflict against the ethnic minority villagers. According to this policy, the SPDC army has aimed to cut support to the opposition through mass relocations of villagers to areas under army control. They detain, torture and execute villagers, village elders and leaders who are considered to have any contact with the opposition. Villagers found outside of SPDC controlled areas, including villagers in hiding from the army and villagers outside of forced relocation sites, are often assumed to be rebels or rebel supporters. Indeed, accusing a villager of being a rebel soldier, a relative of a rebel soldier, or helping rebel soldiers in any way is an accusation punishable by death. Villagers in resistance areas fear traveling outside their village, especially to tend their hill fields in the jungle, because they risk discovery by SPDC troops on patrol and the inevitable accusation of rebel activity. Villagers seen outside of SPDC controlled areas or villages are often shot on sight by patrolling troops without any kind of warning. As accusations of rebel association do not require proof, this system can be used to execute almost anyone; for example, women found in a village without their husbands are often accused of being ‘married to a rebel soldier’. Villagers can also be executed for simply carrying food in areas outside SPDC control, as the army assumes that the food is to supply rebel troops.

One aspect of the SPDC’s campaign to secure military control over areas of armed ethnic opposition is the expansion of Sa Thon Lon operations into the mountains of Toungoo District, Karen State. The Sa Thon Lon, or Dam Byan Byaut Kya [‘Guerrilla Retaliation’], are execution squads that were created in 1998 under Lt. Gen. Khin Nyunt’s Directorate of Defence Services Intelligence (DDSI). The squads operate as small 8-10 men specially trained units tasked with finding and executing villagers who are suspected of having current or past contact with opposition groups. Villagers call them the Baw Bi Doh (‘Short Pants’), a reference to their mixture of civilian and Army clothing. Villagers are terrified of them because their execution methods are particularly brutal and they execute people for ‘crimes’ as minor as supplying rice to Karen soldiers or carrying loads for them. Villagers are executed even if the alleged crime occurred long ago. Almost every villager in ethnic minority areas has had some form of ‘contact’ with opposition groups. As a result, most villagers live in fear of execution in the presence of the Baw Bi Doh, especially current and former village headmen. (Source: KHRG)

According to reports, the occurance of abitrary and summary executions in Karen State did not abate in 2002. The continued existence of the opposition Karen National Liberation Army (KNLA) provoked ongoing human rights abuses committed by the SPDC and cease fire groups such as the Democratic Karen Buddhist Army (DKBA) and the Haungthayaw Peace Organization (HPO). The cease fire groups operate with the support of the SPDC. According to news sources, the release of pro-democracy leader Daw Aung San Suu Kyi had no effect on the occurance of killings. Daw Aung San Suu Kyi was released from house arrest on 6 May 2002. Only 4 days later on 10 May, it was reported that 3 villagers were killed by SPDC troops in Ye-mu-palaw, Thae-kho-se-de and Htee-se-gaw-khi villages. (Source: "Human rights violations in Karen State by SPDC continue unabated", Mizzima, 28 June 2002)

The situation in Shan State was reportedly similar throughout 2002 particularly in relocation areas. Extra-judicial killings have occurred in Shan State habitually since 1996-97 when the State Law and Order Restoration Council initiated large scale forced relocations in central Shan State. According the Shan Human Rights Foundation, the rate of killings increased as a result of fighting from the end of May to the end of June. Many Shan felt that the killings would subside as the fighting ended. Unfortunately, reports indicated that this was not the case and the killings continued at the heightened rate. (Source: SHRF)

2.2 Extra-judicial, Summary or Arbitrary Executions – partial list of incidents 2002

(See the chapters on forced labor, women, children and torture for further incidents)

Death in Prison

In November 2002, political prisoner U Maung Ko, aged over 50, died of a heart attack while in detention at Tharawaddy Prison in central Burma. He was arrested in 1996 under charge 5(J) of Burma’s Emergency Provision Act 1950. Authorities accused him of sympathizing with the Communist Party of Burma (CPB) and was sentenced to seven years in prison. According to the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners (AAPP), U Maung Ko is the 82nd political prisoner to die while in custody since 1988. U Maung Ko was the fourth political prisoner to die in 2002. Others were: Mai Aik Pan, leader of Palaung State Liberation Front; U Aung May Thu, also held inside Tharawaddy Prison; and U Sai Phat, a National League for Democracy (NLD) leader from Shan State. (Source: The Irrawaddy)

In March 2002, seven prisoners, who were members of Thailand-based Mergui-Tavoy United Front (MDUF), were taken from Mergui prison in Tenasserim Division while in poor health. The prisoners were taken to an undisclosed location and their whereabouts remains unknown, but the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners (AAPP) has unconfirmed reports that suggest the seven were executed on Done Island, off Burma’s southern coast. Another two prisoners, arrested in early 2002 from the Thayetchaung branch of the opposition National League for Democracy (NLD) in Tenasserim Division were also missing.

Some of the missing prisoners had been arrested on Thai soil and disappeared while being deported to Burma. Four missing prisoners disappeared from a prison on Lam Pake Island, also in Tenasserim Division. Three of the four prisoners were members of an opposition group, and were previously held at a prison in Kawthaung. They were arrested by Thai police while traveling by boat to Ranong, on the border opposite Kawthaung. The fate of another two missing prisoners from Mergui, who were farmers charged for having contact with opposition groups, also remains unknown. (Source: The Irrawaddy)

Karen State

On 28 April 2002, a group of villagers fleeing from Division 88 reached Htee Law Bleh village and spent a night at Naw Pi Lay’s house. At night, SPDC soldiers from IB 78 arrived and sprayed bullets at the two houses where the group was residing. Thus, the following villagers were killed on 28 April;

1) Saw Hto Paw (56 y.o.) Noe Ta Shu villager

2) Naw Hsar Kay (51 y.o.) Noe Ta Shu villager

3) Naw Kri Htoo (12 y.o.) Noe Ta Shu villager

4) Naw Ble Po (5 y.o.) Noe Ta Shu villager

5) Daw Htwe Ye (50 y.o.) Meh Ka Taw villager

6) Naw Mu Tha (40 y.o.) Meh Ka Taw villager

7) Mu Pwat Pwat (7 y.o.) Htee Law Bleh villager

8) Saw Ka Pru Moo (14 y.o.) Htee Law Bleh villager

9) Naw Plah (5 y.o.) Htee Law Bleh villager

10) Naw Dah Baw (2 y.o.) Htee Law Bleh villager

Nine other villagers were wounded by gunshots and they were not provided with medical treatment. During that incident, a pregnant woman and house owner, Naw Pi Lay (aged 45 years and a mother of 5 children, from Htee Law Bleh village) was shot at by SPDC soldiers and a bullet hit her breast. On that day, she gave birth to a dead baby. She lost two other children during the incident. She and her family hid in the forest and on 10 May she died. During the night of 28 May, gunfire was heard and a Karen guerrilla whose family was near that group worried about his family. He went to the place where the shooting occurred and fired at the IB 78 soldiers. One soldier and two others were injured and the Karen guerrilla was killed. In the morning, IB 78 took pictures of the dead villagers and the Karen soldier. (The IB 78 would probably create a story saying a Karen soldier sprayed bullets at the villagers.) (Source: FTUB)

On 28 April 2002, troops from LIB 548 with the Karen Haungthayaw Peace Organization (HPO), led by Maj. Ah Nyunt and Maj. Taw Taw, went into Koe-du-kwe, a village on the Zami river. The soldiers arrested one man, who they believed to be a KNLA soldier. They interrogated and tortured him afterwhich they shot and killed him. Then, the Burmese and HPO soldiers arrested some men and women who they believed to be relatives of KNLA soldiers. They arrested about 10 villagers, including one 50 year old woman and two children, ages 7 and 9. As the Karen HPO soldiers knew these villagers well they could arrest those villagers whose family members are in the KNLA. The villagers were brought to Pha-ya-nyote-to village for one week where LIB No. 548 was based. Although the village headmen tried to get them back by bribing the commanders, no one was released. After 7 days, they heard news from the old woman, who escaped, that 7 villagers had been killed. One commander sympathized with the old woman and released her. The two children were also released before the other villagers were killed after a 200,000 kyat ransom was received from the relatives of the children. (Source: HURFOM)

On 12 May 2002, the Burmese Army troops from IB No. 77 led by Maj. Myint Lwin went to Taung-bauk village, Kya-inn-seikyi Township, Karen State and opened fire on a group of villagers.Two villagers died and three were seriously injured. Both Nai Lao (31 years old) and Nai Lone (30 years) were killed. Mi Than Aye (17 years old) Nai Kun Oo (52 years old) and Nai Tun Tin were wounded. Villagers fled and hid. In response SPDC leaders said the soldiers made a mistake and had not known the area was an NMSP ceasefire zone. They also arrested some NMSP members in the area and took them for several days.

The IB No. 77 was a new military regiment, which was brought from other areas (not from Mon State and Karen State) and didn’t know about NMSP-SPDC ceasefire very well, according to the senior com­manders of Burmese Army in Rangoon when they were interviewed b the BBC. Therefore, they committed rampant shooting as they thought the group of villag­ers was a gathering of KNLA soldiers. The NMSP complained about shooting and of­ficially filed a criminal case to the Burmese Army higher commander. On 17 May, the military intelli­gence also inquired about the cases and IB No. 32, which is based in Kya-inn-seikyi town, called many village lead­ers and Buddhist monks from allof the monasteries in the vil­lage to ask about the incidents.The villager leaders and monks com­plained that there were no KNLA or Karen soldiers in their village. They insisted that all villagers were pure Mon people and that the shooting of the innocent group of villagers was wrong. At the end of May, the senior commanders still had not given any sort of punishment to their men. (Source: HURFOM)

On 13 August 2002, the Burmese troops from Light Infantry Battalion 557 led by Captain Win Kyaw entered Sa Kaw Lor village and arrested a 19-year-old villager named Saw Keh (son of Saw Ta Rot and Naw Ma Kyaw). The troops accused him of possessing a gun and took him away. The next day, he was killed by the Burmese troops at Ta Ha, in the outer areas of Sa Kaw Lor village. (Source: KHRG)

On 25 October 2002, LIB 588 troops were on patrol and shot at Nai Lae (40 years old) from Morkanin village. He was treated at the hospital. However, the commanders of that battalion did not pay any hospital costs. When the troops from the battalions under the command of MOMC.19 patroled the forests and fruit plantations in the eastern part of the motor road, they often mistook villagers for rebel soldiers and shot at them. (Source: HURFOM)

On 29 October 2002, police beat and killed a Mon man in Mudon Police Station during an investigation for which they accused him of robbing an actress on 4 November in Mudon Township. Nai Mya Han, 45, a villager from Ma Pa Rang [Kuan Brot] village of Kya Inn Seik Kyi Township was arrested and accused of robbing and attacking Nan Dar Hlaing, a popular actress from Mon State, during her trip to Let Tet village on 25 October.

Mr Han was beaten several times in Mudon Police station during questioning and he was unconscious for many hours before he died in his cell, a close relative said. The police arrested him and a hundred other villagers who had a history of crime [robbery] including thirty people form Kyeik Roy village who were questioned in the past. He was accused of robbing the actress at the main entrance to Kyiek Roy village of Mudon Township, in Mon Township. Miss Hlaing was travelling with Rev Kesara, a chief monk of Kyeik Ta Lone Hill who managed the opening festival of a newly constructed pagoda.The local armed gang arrested the actress and released the monks but the armed gang took all her personal belongings. She was then released after the monk. There is no clear evidence as to whether or not Mr Han was a robber in this attack because the armed gang used modern guns during the attack. (Source: HURFOM)

Nyaung-lay-bin District

On 29 January 2002, at 14:15 hours, combined troops from SPDC LIB 350 and DKBA shot at Kwee-da-ma Mae-ko village, wounding villagers Saw Htee Heh, his son Saw Lay Taw, 4 years old, and Saw Ba Blut, 2 years old, and Naw Bway Tha, 50 years old. (Source: KIC)

On 26 February 2002, at 4:30 P.M., troops from SPDC LIB-361 went to Per-po-khee village and shot indiscriminately at the villagers. (Source: KIC)

On 14 March 2002, troops from SPDC LIB 364 under No.10 Local Military Operation command went to Lo-khee village in Shwe-gyin township and burned down 25 houses and a school. Moreover, these troops shot and killed villager Saw Maung Bi Htoo, M-45, son of Saw Baw Mu Gay, without any reason. (Source: KIC)

On 27 March 2002, Column 2 commander Thet Khaing and company commander Win Lwin of SPDC LIB 350 killed the following 5 Shan villagers without reason:

            (1) Saw Thein Shwe (33) son of Saw Maung Di,

(2) Saw Hla Ko (46) son of Saw Kyaw Maung,

(3) Saw Kyaw Win (47) son of Saw Hla Maung

(4) Saw Ka Thoo (35) son of Saw U Toe and

(5) Saw Keh Moo (36) grandson of U Toe. (Source: KIC)

On 30 March 2002, Column commander Zaw Win of SPDC LIB 589 arrested Saw Oo Toe and executed him without reason. (Source: KIC)

On 2 April 2002, troops from SPDC LIB 369 went to Htee-ler-gaw-khee area and shot and killed two villagers: (1) Saw Tha Than, age 25, son of Saw Ko and (2) Saw Kyaw, age 35, without reason. (Source: KIC)

On 28 September 2002, at 16:30 hours, troops from SPDC LIB 363, 365, 366 and 368 under Tactical Command 1-of No. 10 Local Military Operation Command headquarters, led by Bo Myo Aung, went to Ma-li-khee village, Kyauk-kyi Township, and fired on the villagers killing Naw Ma Leh, age 25, and her five-month old baby. The troops cut off the ears of Naw Ma Leh for her earrings. Moreover, they mutilated her body by cutting off her breast, legs and arms. They also wounded the following;

          (1) Saw Way Moo (M, 25),

(2) Saw Klaw Htoo (M, 22),

(3) Saw Kaw Kah (M, 30) and

(4) Naw Cha (F, 20 ). (Source: KIC)

On 29 October 2002, troops from SPDC LIB 589, went to Mae-yeh-khee village, Shwe-gyin township and fired at a paddy field hut, without reason, wounding Naw Hsa Shee, daughter of Saw Aye Lwin. Later, these troops took Saw Aye Lwin, wife Naw Say Lar, son Saw Po Kyaw and grand-mother Pee Aye Tin, a total of 4 persons to Shwe-gyin town. (Source: KIC)

On 30 October 2002, SPDC LIB 235 fired heavy weapons and small arms at villagers in the Ler Mu Plaw area, Lu Thaw township, Mu Traw ( Papun ) district, North east Karen State, Burma. They were harvesting their farm (the place is called Yu Au Lar Hta). Saw Ri Ba Wah (male) age 35 was killed and others 5 were wounded. They were;

(1) Saw Thay Bay Wah (male) age 40,

(2) Saw Sri Nay Moo (male) age 17,

(3) Saw Ti Tu (male) age 17,

(4) Naw Ler Per (female) age 14 and

(5) Naw Moo Day Wah (female) age 8.

Naw Moo Day Wah was wounded with a splinter in the right side of her body. After 6 days a group of medics found her. She needed to go to hospital but there is neither a hospital nor clinic. After 10 days on 9 November, she died. Naw Ler Per was wounded in her arm and her arm may need to be amputated. (Source: KIC)

Toungoo District

On 23 February 2002, at 3:00 pm, about 40 troops from SPDC IB-92 led by San Aung Kyaw came from Klaw-mee-doe village to Day-yay-khee area. They shot and killed Taw-gon villager Maung Than Kyi 36, husband of Naw Htoo Si Paw, in a betel nut plantation without reason. (Source: KIC)

On 24 April 2002, at 3:57 pm, troops from SPDC IB 30, led by battalion commander, Mya Ko Ko shot at Thay-ku-doe villager Saw Ta Ni Haw 41, son of Maung Hai Gay, near his paddy field and he has been missing up to this day. (Source: KIC)

On 13 October 2002, at 1:30 am, troops from SPDC IB 48, led by Bo Thein Htun Oo shot and killed Kaw-soe-kho villager, Saw Way Way Lay, son of Saw Ka Koo, without reason. (Source: KIC)

Pa-pun District

On 16 March 2002, at 2:30 PM, troops from SPDC Southern Command Headquarters battalions 101 and 252 went to Thay-tha-mu-doe village and shot and killed villager Saw Kyaw Htoo, without any reason. (Source: KIC)

On 10 May 2002, troops from SPDC battalions LIB 368, 370, 366 and 367 under Tactical Command 2 and 3 of Local Military Command No. 10 went to Yeh-mu-plaw, Thay-kho-hser-doe and Htee-hser-gaw-khee and shot and killed 3 villagers namely:

(1) Naw Ree Htoo (F) 50,

(2) Saw Pwe (M) 20 and

(3) Naw Dah Lay (F) 18, (Source: KIC)

Tha-ton District

On 27 March 2002, combined troops of SPDC LIB 202 and an anti-insurgent group, led by battalion second in command Maung Htun Sein went to Noh-hkah village, looted a basket of rice from Saw Ngaw Ngaw and then shot him to death. (Source: KIC)

On 8 April 2002, troops from SPDC LIB 1 went to Ka-wa-hta and Kwee-lay-tha-waw-pya, arrested and interrogated villager Maung Thwee. On 11 April, they shot and killed him near the village of Ta-eu-khee. (Source: KIC)

On 11 August 2002, troops from SPDC IB 2, led by company commander, Zaw Min shot and killed Noh-pa-leh villager Saw Shwe Hla’s son Saw Htoo Ler, age 5 without reason. (Source: KIC)

On 24 August 2002, troops from SPDC LIB 1 column 1, led by Min Chit Oo, went to Baw Naw village, arrested and killed without reason villager Saw Pwe Htoo (M, 40) son of Pah Di Tha. (Source: KIC)

On 16 October 2002, troops from SPDC LIB 8, led by battalion commander, Kyaw Thura, went to villagers’ hill paddy fields at Lay-kay in Be-lin Township and fired their heavy weapons and small arms at the villagers severely wounding Naw Nya Pla Moe. (Source: KIC)

On 1 November 2002, troops from SPDC LIB 2, led by column 2 commander Aung Soe fired both heavy weapons and small arms on villagers reaping paddy on Htee-mu-say-khee hill. They seized and killed Saw Htun Myaing Po’s son Saw Klo Meh, aged 21, without reason. In Ee-su-khee area these troops seized 6 Dah-nay villagers to be porters. (Source: KIC)

Doo-pla-ya District

On 21 February 2002, troops from SPDC IB-284, went to Wah-bo-gon village at night, arrested, and shot and killed villager, U Lu Pu, (M, 60) and village secretary U Soe Win, (M, 40) without any reason. (Source: KIC)

On 26 April 2002, troops from SPDC LIB 416 under LID 88, led by column 1 commander Tin Shwe went to Htee-pa-nwe village in Kya-in Township and indiscriminately shot at villagers, severely wounding Saw Wah Paw (M, 46) and killing Saw Tin Htoo, (M, 48). In addition, they tortured Maung Tha Klu (M, 25) and extorted money from the villagers. (Source: KIC)

On 28 April 2002 troops from SPDC LIB 301 shot at villagers of Hte-law-bleh in Kya-in Township and as a result 10 villagers were killed and 9 were wounded. Naw Pee Leh (F, 45) who was pregnant, was wounded in the chest. Fifteen minutes after she was wounded, she gave birth, but her child was not alive. Due to shortage of medicine, Naw Pee Leh died on 10 May. (Source: KIC)

On 28 April 2002, at 12:00 pm, troops from SPDC IB 78 shot at villagers in Ta-ray-khee village and nearby villages without reason killing Noh-ta-shu villagers:

(1) Saw Toe Paw (M, 56),

(2) Naw Hsa kay (F, 51),

(3) Naw Kree Htoo (F, 12),

(4) Naw Bleh Po (F, 5),

- and Mae-ka-taw villagers:

(1) Ma Htwe Yi (F, 50) and

(2) Naw Mu Tha (F, 40),

- Htee-law-bler villagers:

(1) Mu Paw Paw (F, 7),

(2) Saw Ka Pru Moo (M, 14),

(3) Naw Pla (F, 5) and

(4) Naw Da Baw.

Wounded Htee-law-bler villagers were:

(1) Naw Baw Mu Ta (F, 15),

(2) Saw Ta Ku (M, 14),

(3) Naw Pee Leh (F, 15),

(4) Naw Hay Hser (F, 33),

(5) Naw Kya Paw (F, 4),

(6) Ta Bo Mu (M, 33)

(7) Saw Heh Nay (M, 6),

(8) Saw Wilbert Htoo (M, 9) and

(9) a young child. (Source: KIC)

On 17 May 2002, troops from SPDC LIB 301 under LID 88, led by Column 1 commander Min Din shelled a group of people at a place between Doo-kwe village and Htee-khay village in Kya-in Township with heavy weapons. As a result, they wounded the left knee of villager Saw Pah Cha 30, son of Saw Theh Paw. As there was excessive bleeding, he died in two-and-a-half hours. On the same day, the troops asked Htee-khay villager Saw Sunday whether he had seen any Karen resistance groups. When he said that he had not seen any, they beat him up until his left eye came out. They took him to the army camp and he had not yet been released at the time of this report. (Source: KIC) (Please see the chapter on torture for more information)

On 22 May 2002 at 1:00 pm, Bo Pyo Way Oo of SPDC LIB 344 shot and killed Naw Htoo Ku Say aged 7, daughter of U Ah Pyu and Naw Pa Leh Htoo in her shop in Taung-zun village, Win-yae Township without reason. (Source: KIC)

On 5 June 2002 at 10:00 am, troops from SPDC LIB 301 shot at Paw-ner-moo villagers Saw Hay Law 38 and Saw Bwe Htoo 37 near Noh-ka-law in Kya-in Township. The two had to run for their lives. (Source: KIC)

On 3 July 2002, troops from SPDC LIB 546 led by battalion commander, Kyaw Win went to Tari-ta-kaw village in Kya-in Township and, on the accusation of sending 4 deserters from SPDC IB 312 of Artillery Division (606) to the KNLA, arrested villagers U Win (M, 48), U Kyaw Tin, (M, 51) and U Chit Hla (M, 57). On 4 July, at about 3:00 pm, on the trumped up charge of trying to loot the gun of Sergeant Kyaw Moe Lwin of LIB 546, they shot the three villagers dead. (Source: KIC)

On 4 July 2002, about 80 troops from SPDC LIB 546 led by battalion commander Kyaw Aye, battalion second in command Khin Maung Yi and sergeant Moe Lwin went to Ta-ri-ta-kaw village and accused Pah Tee Aye, 49, Saw Kyaw Tin, 52, and Saw Tin Hla, 46, of having contact with the KNU. The soldiers arrested and took them away. On that day at 7:00 pm, they shot and killed the three villagers between La-ta-kaw and Laung-kaing village in Kyone-doe township. (Source: KIC)

On 4 August 2002, at 5:30 pm, troops from SPDC LIB 588, led by battalion commander, Major Myo Hlaing took Kleik-toke village head Saw Mya Than, (M, 34) son of U Kyaw Hta of Win-yae Township as a guide and shot him to death beside Kho-tu-ta-lo road. (Source: KIC)

On 19 August 2002 at 6:00 pm, troops from SPDC LIB 538 column one shot and killed Saw Naw Klan (M, 40) head of Pa-ya village of Win-yae Township beside the road. (Source: KIC)

On 23 August 2002 at 3:00 pm, troops from SPDC IB 20 under Western Command headquarters, led by battalion commander, Aung Moe Lin, fired at shops on rafts from Mae-ta-mwee village, located near the bank of the Zami river, using both heavy weapons and small arms without reason. They severely wounded;

(1) Mu Kone Lone (F, 20), daughter of Maung Nay Htun and

(2) Ma Khin Pyone (F, 12), daughter of Maung Ohn Kyi. (Source: KIC)

Pa-an District

On 10 March 2002, troops from DKBA battalion 3 under 999 brigade went to Htee-ka-lay village of Na-bu Township and arrested village head Pu Kaw Lah. They then killed him near the village. (Source: KIC)

On 16 March 2002, troops from SPDC LIB 434, led by battalion second in command Thet Htun shot and killed Bo-baw-kho villager, Saw Sa Theh Baw without reason (Source: KIC)

On 7 December 2002, late in the night, Saw Wah Sih, about 36 years old, was shot dead by a group of Burmese soldiers from Infantry Battalion 104, who were patrolling in the village. Saw Wah Sih had beem returning from his rice plantation late at night. When he was almost at his house, a group of Burmese soldiers opened fire on him without any warning and he died on the spot. He left three children and a pregnant wife. Kaw Htee Lor is a forcibly relocated village to the east of Tavoy, Tenasserim Division, Southern Burma. The villagers are restricted from traveling outside of the relocation site at night and they are not allowed to use torchlight while walking in the village. They are only allowed to use candles or lamps. The Burmese troops used to patrol secretly in the village at night to spy on the villagers. (Source: KHRG)

Mergui/Tavoy Division

On 2 January 2002, troops from SPDC LIB402 shot and killed Htee-loh villager Saw Hser Wah (M, 27), son of Pah Eh Na, in Ler-loh-soe township and looted from him 30,000 baht. (Source: KIC)

On 18 January 2002, troops from SPDC LIB551 wemt to Pa-wa area and shot and killed Mee-lun-gwin villager Saw Wa Loe (M, 19) without reason. (Source: KIC)

On 23 January 2002 at 9:00 am, troops from SPDC IB104 shot and killed Kler-pu villager Saw Doh Kho Po (M, 21), son of Saw Yan Aung, at Htee-kler-ta in Ler-doh-soe township. (Source: KIC)

On 13 March 2002, troops from SPDC LIB 409 arrested Kho-seik villager, Saw Moslem (M, 23), son of U Maung Kya, and shot him to death on 16 March. (Source: KIC)

On 18 March 2002, troops from SPDC LIB 409 shot and killed Saw Wah Ko Lo aged 20 at Khaw-po village, son of Kho-seik village head Yan Aung,. (Source: KIC)

On 25 March 2002, SPDC troops went from Ka-pyaw to Hto-thoo-khee village and shot and killed, Saw Thay Po, aged 18 at Hto-thoo-khee, son of Pah Ti Kyaw,. (Source: KIC)

On 30 May 2002, troops from SPDC LIB-559 led by Lieutenant Colonel Kyaw Hlaing went to Mu-kwa village in Tanenssarim Township and shot to death without reason and without a word, Christian Pastor Rev. Saw Hla Maung and Mu-kwa Village Peace and Development Committee Chairman, Saw Ta Bi, together with another 8 villagers. The victims were:

(1) Pastor Rev. Saw Hla Maung,

(2) Saw Ti Bi, VPD chairman of Mu-kwa village,

(3) Saw Htun,

(4) Saw Pa Theh,

(5) Saw Toe Nor,

(6) Saw Hein Hut,

(7) Saw Paw Htoo,

(8) Saw Theh Han,

(9) Saw Kyaw Win and

(10) Saw Thi Ha. (Source: KIC)

On 13 June 2002, at 11:00 am, troops from SPDC LIB-101 went to Pa-wah-htee-thoo-day village in Tanessarim Township and shot and killed villager Naw Aye Myint (21) daughter of Saw Paw Kya and Naw Thein May without reason. (Source: KIC)

On 26 June 2002, at 2:40 pm, troops from SPDC IB 101 Column 1 led by column commander Major Kyaw Lwin went to Kyan-chaung-khee village and shot dead Saw Myint Lwin aged (39), son of Saw Nga Kyi and Naw Kah Naw, in his paddy field hut without reason. (Source: KIC)

On 29 June 2002, troops from the SPDC Training Batch No-12 shot and killed some villagers from Ler-mu-lah area at Nya-po-baw-khee. (Source: KIC)

Tenasserim Division

On 28 August 2002, the Burmese troops from Light Infantry Battalion 345 led by Battalion Commander Ha Du arrived at Haw Ter Hkee village to search for hiding villagers. They discovered a group of villagers and opened fire on them. Four villagers were shot dead. Three others were wounded but escaped. The victims were;

(1) Saw Lu Ka (28 years old, son of Saw Wah),

(2) Saw Tawt Ni (17 years old, son of Saw Wah from Ka Ge Hkee village),

(3) Saw Be Bay (28 years old, son of Saw Pe from Peh Taw Hkee) and

(4) Naw Mu Taw (18 years old, daughter of Saw Poe Deh form Taw Ko Ke Hkee).

The wounded victims were;

(1) Naw Htee Mu (40 years old, daughter of Saw Sa),

(2) Saw Lah Tin (40 years old , son of Saw Kod), and

(3) Saw Pah Dih (15 year old, son of Saw Ku La from Peh Htaw Hkee).

(Source: KHRG)

On 13 August 2002, the Burmese troops from Light Infantry Battalion 557 led by Captain Win Kyaw entered Sa Kaw Lor village and arrested a 19-year-old villager, Saw Keh, son of Saw Ta Rot and Naw Ma Kyaw. The troops accused him of possessing a gun and took him away. The next day, he was killed by the Burmese troops at Ta Ha, in the outer areas of Sa Kaw Lor village. (Source: KHRG)

In August 2002, Burmese troops shot at internally displaced Karen villagers when they were carrying out a search-and-kill operation. Four villagers died and three were wounded. The villagers were hiding from the Burmese troops in the jungle to the east of Palaw township, Mergui district, Tenasserim division. (Source: KHRG.)

Mon State 

Shooting at a Mon Woman (Ye Township, Mon State)

On January 16, when LIB No. 587 troops led by Maj. Soe Min Htun, were taking patrol in Thaung-pyin village, Ye Township, one of their soldiers suddenly shot at a 50 year old woman, Mi Sae, whilst she was going to the monastery for food donation. She got serious injuries and was sent to Ye hospital. However, the commander of LIB No. 587 still said that their man was not the person who shot at the woman when the village leaders inquired about the case. They also refused to pay for the hospital cost. As the monks from the monastery saw the shooting during the incident, in the end, they could not refuse, and paid some hospital cost.

On October 25, when the troops of LIB No. 588 operated a military patrol in eastern part of the Township, they also shot at Nai Lae (40 years old) from Morkanin village and he was treated at hospital. However, the commanders of that battalion did not pay any hospital cost. In many cases, when the troops from the battalions under the command of MOMC. No. 19 went around in the forests and fruit plantations on the eastern part of the motor road, they often made mistakes shooting villagers as they thought the rebel soldiers were taking bases in forests or plantations. Some were also killed, because of mistakes shooting against farmers. (Source: HURFOM)

On 15 August 2002, a drunk Sergeant and his two soldiers from LIB 343, which is based in the northeastern part of Ye Township, shot at two villagers. One villager sustained serious injuries. The shooting occurred while two young Mon men from Son-nyit-tha village in the northern part of Ye Township were fishing on a farm and the Sergeant shot at them at about 15:30 hours. The 20 year old Mehm Pha Lot was hit by two bullets while his friend was not hit. The Sergeant and his two soldiers shot three bullets at them. One bullet hit the young man’s neck and another hit his leg. The remaining bullet did not hit anyone. The soldiers shot from 300 meters away. One young man believed that the soldiers shot at them because they were drunk and had already had a conflict when they were trying to extort money from a motor car.

The villagers brought the injured young man to the Ye Township hospital and the headmen informed commander of LIB No. 343, No. 5 Military Intelligence Office and Township authorities of the incident. The authorities and military officers were afraid of news spreading. They forced the injured young man to be treated at home and promised they would provide for his treatment everyday. They also ordered the young man’s parents not to inform the higher authorities about the incident.They provided 5000 Kyat to his parents for medication costs. No. 5 MI officers and LIB 343 commanders also promised they would punish the soldiers involved in the shooting. The villagers travel was restricted outside the relocation site at night, and they were not allowed to use torchlights while walking in the village. They were only allowed to use a candle or a lamp. The Burmese troops used to patrol secretly in the village at night to spy on the villagers. (Source: HURFOM)

Shan State

On 27 January 2002, a combined patrol of Burmese troops from IB 381 and IB 382 captured 2 innocent villagers who were protecting their newly harvested paddy from predators, near Wan Nong village, Wan Nong tract. Loong Hsaw, male, from Wan Nong village, was detained and tortured. As of 30 January 2002, he had not yet been released. Ta Naw, male, from Wan Ho Ter village, Koong Keng tract, was shot dead near Wan Lin Leng village. (Source: Freedom, Jan & Feb 2002)

On 26 May 2002, a 15-men-strong Burmese patrol from SPDC LIB 524 called a villager from the 3rd quarter, Kun Hing town to guide them along the way. On reaching the deserted village side of Loi Long (about 1 mile from Kun Hing), the guide was executed by the Burmese soldiers for unknown reasons. The victim was Sai Or Ta, male, age 25 years, a native Shan. Son of Loong Phaw Ka and Pa Noan, a villager of Wan Toung Moan, 3rd quarter, Kun Hing township.(Source: Freedom, May 2002)

On 27 May 2002, 3 villagers who were driving their water buffaloes to sell in the market were murdered by SPDC troops near Kun Hing. These 3 villagers, from the village of Wan Lao, Kun Hing township were trying to sell their water buffaloes in Kun Hing. On their way to town, they met with an about 25-men-strong Burmese patrol from SPDC LIB 524, who seized them and confiscated their buffaloes without any question. The 3 victims were dragged along with the patrol. Near Wan Nam Lin village, Huay Hok village tract, the innocent villagers were murdered by the Burmese patrol. The names of the victims were;

  • 1. Sai Veet, male, age 28, ethnic Shan, son of long Or and Nai Lu from Wan Hsai Khao, Wan Lao tract.

  • 2. Ai Sway, male, age 17, a Shan, son of Loong Karng Sigta and Nai Nang, from Wan Naa Moan, Wan Lao tract.

  • 3. Loong Phaw Ka, male, age 50, a Shan, son of Loong Pan Oung and Pa Nang from Wan Hsai Khao, Wan Lao tract. (Source: Freedom, May 2002)

  • On 18 June 2002, 3 Burmese soldiers from Parng Hok went to Huany Yao to the house of Sai Mae Htar and demanded 200 baht in cash. As Sai Mae Htar was a poor cripple he could pay them only 15 baht. Regarding it as an insult, the Burmese soldiers shot and killed him on the spot. They dragged the corpse to drop it in a nearby stream, but on the way changed their minds. Instead, they dropped the corpse into a rubbish dump and covered it with dirt. The victim had a wife named "Nang Yuong" and 3 children, who have fled since and are now living at Htar Noi, a village near Kiu Zarng Kap. She is waiting for a chance to run across the border with her children away from the fighting between SSA and Burmese troops in Pang Mai Soog – Pang Kam Kaw areas. (Source: Freedom, June 2002)

    On 25 June 2002, Burmese soldiers from LIB 387, led by Major Zaw Ti Ka captured and executed 3 innocent villagers of Wan Pha Sont, Kho Lam tract, Nam Zarng Township. (Major Zaw Ti Ka was not his real name, whenever he came to the village, he kept asking for a villager named Zaw Ti Ka and that’s why he was known to the villagers as Major Zaw Ti Ka). The 3 victims were Saw Nan Ta, Nanta Lai, and Phaw Ka. The reason for their execution was, "They had hunted barking deer with their muskets, without permission". (Source: Freedom, June 2002)

    On the night of 14 October 2002, two Burmese Army shells killed 70 people observing Buddhist Lent in the southern town of Mongnai, 92 miles southeast of Taunggyi. The shells, believed to be fired from the LIB 518 command post, at 11:00 pm, also destroyed part of the Sala Kao-hawng (9 room-pavilion) at Pawmong Quarter, Mongnai’s northernmost suburb and wounded 21 others. The shelling coincided with the 8th Waxing Moon of the 11th Lunar Month, a traditional day of religious observance.

    The dead included 6 men and 64 women in addition 2 men and 19 women were injured. So far, S.H.A.N. could only obtain three names: Zarng Mawng, 62, headman; Heng Yong, 56 and Awng Pay, 36. No one knew why the incident occurred and no action has been taken on the part of the authorities. There are two Burmese battalions in Mongnai: IB 248, located north of the town and LIB 518 located to the south. The towns people confirmed that the shells came from the direction of LIB 518. "They left a hole 2 cubits (1meter) deep and 3 cubits (1 1/2 meters) wide," said one. (Source: SHAN)

    On 17 December 2002, SPDC troops from LIB 601 shot dead two villagers as they were working on their farms. The victims were Sai Yar Zing, age 27 and Sai Nanti, age 25. (Source: Freedom, Vol.3, No.1, January 2003)

    6 Displaced Shans Robbed and Shot Dead near Thai-Border in Murng-Ton.

    On 30 January 2002, 6 internally displaced Shans from Murng-Kerng township who were trying to enter Thailand were robbed and shot dead by SPDC troops from IB281 near the Thai border at a place about 2 1/2 kilometres east of BP-1 border checkpoint, in Murng-Ton township. They had left Murng-Kerng town relocation site on 21 January, heading for Thailand. They reached BP-1 on 29 January 2002 and stayed overnight at an empty house which had been confiscated from the people by the SPDC troops. During the night they were told by some traders that they needed to change money, so they exchanged their money into Thai currency from one of the traders. It was said that they got 36,000 Baht from the money exchange. The next day, 30 January 2002, they hired a guide who would take them to Nong Ook village in Thailand by a route that evaded the Thai checkpoint, but when they had gone only about 2-3 kilometres to the east of BP-1 and were still some kilometres from the border, they were stopped and robbed of all their money and valuables by 5 Burmese soldiers from IB281 who eventually shot the 6 of them dead. The 6 victims were:

    1) Lung Kawn (m), aged 56

    2) Zaai Aw-Ta (m), aged 38

    3) Zaai Nyunt (m), aged 34

    4) Pa Pan (f), aged 43

    5) Naang Leng (f), aged 27

    6) Naang Naang (f), only 4 months old

    (Source: SHRF)

    Displaced Pig Farmer Shot Dead in Kun-Hing.

    On 7 February 2002, a displaced pig farmer was shot dead by a group of 4 SPDC troops from IB246, led by Sgt. Hla Hpe, while he was feeding his pigs in a relocation site in the outskirts of Kun-Hing town. The victim, Zaai Wa-Ya-Ma, male, aged 18, was the only son of Lung In-Ta and Pa Yo, who were originally from Mai Saang Kham village in Wan Lao village tract, Kun-Hing township, that had been forcibly relocated to the outskirts of Kun-Hing town in 1996. In the relocation site, Zaai Wa-Ya-Ma raised some pigs to earn a living and also support his parents. He was shot dead in his pig sty at about 10:00 am while he was feeding his pigs. After shooting Zaai Wa-Ya-Ma, the SPDC troops also shot 1 pig and took it away.

    After that, the SPDC troops went to the village headman and took him to the killing site, told him that they had shot dead a Shan rebel and showed him Zaai Wa-Ya-Ma’s body, which was lying over the fence of his pig sty. When the village headman saw the body and recognized it was Zaai Wa-Ya-Ma, he bluntly told the SPDC troops that they had killed an innocent villager who earned an honest living to support his parents. On hearing that, the troops became angry and slapped the headman several times until his face and eyes were badly swollen. Later, the SPDC troops came back and took the village headman and Lung In-Ta, the victim’s father, to the military base and detained them for 4 hours before releasing them. On 11 February, after they had conducted a funeral for Zaai Wa-Ya-Ma, Lung In-Ta and the village headman, together with the village tract headman and some other village elders and leaders, filed a complaint against the killers at the criminal court in Kun-Hing town.

    Strangely enough, the court summoned the soldiers and the villagers and conducted a trial, during which the soldiers tried to prove that Zaai Wa-Ya-Ma was a Shan soldier by producing an old pistol and a hand-grenade supposedly belonging to him. When the village tract headman, asked the soldiers where they got those exhibits, they said they found them in Zaai Wa-Ya-Ma’s house. However, Lung In-Ta testified that the soldiers had not come to the house, but took the pig and left after they had shot his son and the pig in the pig sty. The court officers then dismissed all of them, saying that they needed time to further consider the case and would summon them again some time later. But so far, there have not been any developments. (Source: SHRF)

    7 Lahu Villagers Shot Dead in Murng-Sart.

    On 10 February 2002, 7 Lahu villagers of Pu Na To village in Murng Tum village tract, Murng-Sart township, were shot dead by SPDC troops from Kaeng-Tung-based IB244 at Pu Na To village. On that day, a column of about 60 SPDC troops from Kaeng-Tung-based IB244 came from the direction of Munrg Tum village and surrounded Pu Na To village. While surrounding the village, some SPDC troops went into it and randomly shot at the villagers, killing 7 and wounding many in the process. It was not certain what were the reasons behind the shooting. According to the local people, it could have been vengeance taken on the Lahu villagers by the SPDC troops because some time ago they had had a quarrel with some Lahu militia from Pu Na To village. (Source: SHRF)

    2 Displaced Villagers Shot Dead While Climbing for Fruit in Lai-Kha.

    On 11 February 2002, 2 displaced villagers who were climbing a jackfruit tree at a deserted village, Maak Laang, in Ton Hung village tract, Lai-Kha township, were shot down from the tree by a patrol of SPDC troops from LIB 519. The 2 victims, Lung Saang Awng, male, aged 47 and Zaai Saang Wi, male, aged 35, were originally from Maak Laang village, where the incident took place, which had been forcibly relocated to the outskirts of Lai-Kha town with many other villages in Ton Hung tract in 1997 by the Burmese army troops. The 2 villagers went to gather wild vegetables around Maak Laang deserted village which was not so far from Nam Wan village where they had been relocated to. On the same day, a patrol of SPDC troops from LIB519 which was passing by told the villagers at Nam Wan that they had shot dead 2 robbers at the foot of a jackfruit tree at an old village, pointed towards Maak Laang village and told them to go and bury the bodies. Only when the villagers saw their bodies did they learn they were Lung Saang Awng and Zaai Saang Wi from their village and not robbers as claimed by the SPDC troops. According to the villagers, the 2 men might have been shot down from the tree because there were some jackfruits scattered around and some traces on the bodies and the tree. (Source: SHRF)

    Fleeing Refugees Shot Dead near the Thai Border in Murng-Ton.

    On 20 February 2002, a patrol of SPDC troops from IB281 shot at a group of refugees who were heading for Thailand, instantly killing one and wounding two of them, east of BP-1 (Border Point - 1), 1-1/2 miles from the border in Murng-Ton township.On the day of the incident, a group of about 50 refugees, mostly displaced Shans from central Shan State where their villages had been forcibly relocated by Burmese army troops a few years ago, were walking towards the Thai border, taking a shortcut route about 1-1/2 miles to the east of BP-1 checkpoint in an attempt to evade it.

    At one point, the refugees ran into a group of about 5-6 SPDC troops from IB281, led by a Sergeant, who shot at them, killing 1 on the spot and wounding 2, and causing them to flee to different directions.The one who died on the spot was a displaced farmer, Zaai Wa-Ya-Ma, male, aged 27, originally from Ton Hung village in Naa Poi village tract, Lai-Kha township.The wounded two managed to escape to a village in the area and were still secretly treating their wounds by early March. They were:

    1. Zaai Kan-Na, male, aged 48, originally from Ter Leng village in Naa Mang village tract, Lai-Kha township

    2. Naang Kham Thun, female, aged 51, originally from Naa Khaw village in Wan Khem village tract, Kae-See township. (Source: SHRF)

    Displaced Farmers Stabbed to Death in Lai-Kha.

    On 27 February 2002, 3 displaced farmers from Paang Phon village relocation site in Murng Yaai village tract, Lai-Kha township, were stabbed to death by SPDC troops from LIB 515 at a rice field some distance from the relocation site.

    The 3 victims were:

    1) Naang Yaen (f), aged 39

    2) Zaai Taw (m), aged 19

    3) Naang Non (f), aged 18

    These people were originally from Naa Loi village in Paang Saang village tract, Lai-Kha township, which had been forcibly relocated to Paang Phon village relocation site in 1997 by the then SLORC (State Law and Order Restoration Council) troops. While staying at Paang Phon relocation site, they had been secretly cultivating their original rice fields near their deserted village, Naa Loi, which was about 5 miles from Paang Phon. It was during the rice harvest time and people from Paang Phon village were busy threshing and transporting their rice by ox-carts from their remote rice fields and farms to the relocation site. On the day of the incident, the 3 victims happened to be at their rice fields when a patrol of SPDC troops from LIB515 came and took them into a bush on the edge of the fields and killed them. Their necks were slashed and their chests were stabbed with a knife. (Source: SHRF)

    Farmer Shot Dead in front of His Two Sisters in Nam-Zarng.

    On 11 April 2002, a patrol of SPDC troops from a military camp at Kho Lam village relocation site, in Nam-Zarng township, shot dead a farmer in front of his 2 sisters at a remote farm 3 miles east of Phaa Sawnt village in Wan Phui tract, Nam-Zarng township. A patrol of about 50 SPDC troops from Kho Lam village camp went to patrol the area where Zaai Zin-Da, aged 32, and his 2 sisters from Phaa Sawnt village were staying in a hut to clear a plot of land for rice farming. When the troops saw the hut, they went and surrounded it and when they knew there were people inside, they ordered them to come out. Zaai Zin-Da came out of the stilted hut and climbed down the ladder. When he was only halfway down the ladder, the SPDC troops shot at him without giving any warning. A bullet hit him directly in the chest and he fell down the ladder, dead.

    When the troops came close to the hut, they saw the dead body of Zaai Zin-Da at the foot of the ladder and his 2 sisters who were clinging together in the hut, trembling with fear. The commander of the troops then told the women that they had shot Zaai Zin-Da because they thought he was a rebel and, giving them 1,000 kyat, told them to go back to their village and tell the villagers to come and bury him. Saying that, the troops left the place, heading back towards Kho Lam. (Source: SHRF)

    Forest Gatherers Shot Dead and Others Fatally Wounded in Nam-Zarng.

    On 15 April 2002, a patrol of SPDC troops from a military camp at Kho Lam village relocation site, in Nam-Zarng township, shot at 2 forest gatherers, wounding one of them, who later died after being taken to the hospital in Nam-Zarng town. On that day, Zaai Lu, male, aged 21 and his 10-year-old brother, Ai Zaai, went to gather resin and wild orchid flowers in the forest some distance from their village, Phaa Sawnt, in Wan Phui tract, Nam-Zarng township. On the same day, a column of about 45 SPDC troops from Kho Lam went to patrol the area in which the 2 brothers were.

    While the 2 brothers were gathering resin and orchid flowers using long poles and going from tree to tree in the forest, one of the SPDC troops fired 3 shots at them from behind a tree about 40 yards away. One of the bullets hit Zaai Lu right in the waist and he fell down and cried out in pain, causing his 10-year-old brother to also scream and cry in fear.

    When they heard the screams of the child, the troops stopped shooting and went to look at the 2 brothers. Zaai Lu then explained to them that he and his child brother were from Phaa Sawnt village and that they had come into the forest only to gather resin and orchid flowers. The SPDC troops ordered the civilian guides they had with them to carry Zaai Lu to a jungle road used by logging trucks and waited there until a truck came that way. The troops then put Zaai Lu and his brother on the truck and told the driver to take them to the hospital in Nam-Zarng town. Although Zaai Lu reached the hospital that evening, his wound was so severe that he died the same night at the hospital. (Source: SHRF)

    Displaced Farmer Killed in Kun-Hing, Ox Stolen.

    On 20 April 2002, a displaced farmer who was gathering rice was beaten to death and his draught oxen were stolen by a patrol of SPDC troops from IB246 at a remote farm in Kaeng Lom village tract, Kun-Hing township. The victim Zaai Hung, male, aged 18, was originally from Naa Sae village in Kaeng Lom tract which had been forcibly relocated to the outskirts of Kun-Hing town some years ago. Zaai Hung and his parents had managed to survive years of hardship at the relocation site by growing rice at a remote farm some distance from the town.

    On the day of the incident, Zaai Hung was preparing to take home some of his rice on an ox-cart and was feeding his 2 oxen with hay at his remote farm when a patrol of about 75 SPDC troops from Kun-Hing-based IB246 went by the farm. When the troops saw Zaai Hung, they came straight through the farm to him and arrested him, tied him up with a rope, dragged him to the edge of the farm and beat him to death. The troops then left the farm, dragging away with them Zaai Hung’s 2 draught oxen. When he had not come home, Zaai Hung’s parents became worried and came after him, only to find his dead body at the edge of his farm, and signs of looting and footprints of Burmese soldiers all over the place. (Source: SHRF)

    Displaced Villager Beaten to Death in Murng_Kerng.

    On 1 June 2002, a patrol of SPDC troops from LIB514 beat to death a displaced villager at Loi Leng village in Loi Leng village tract, Murng-Kerng township, without giving any reason for the killing. A patrol of about 30-35 SPDC troops from Co.3 of LIB 514, led by Capt. Thein Htun, went to Loi Leng village relocation site on that day and called out to a man in a house to come out to them. The man was Aw-Zin-Na, aged 27, son of Lung Thun and Pa Oong, who had been forcibly relocated to Loi Leng village relocation site from Long Yawn village since 1997 by the then SLORC (State Law and Order Restoration Council) troops. Aw-Zin-Na was somewhat hard of hearing and did not understand Burmese. When the SPDC troops called him, he might not have heard or understood them because he did not come to them but stood and gazed at them. Some of the troops then came and dragged him by the hand out of the house and took him to a hut where cattle were kept. As Aw-Zin-Na was about to enter the hut, one of the SPDC troops struck him on the back of the neck with a rifle butt. The blow was so severe that it knocked him to the ground and killed him instantly. (Source: SHRF)

    12 Palaung and Shan Villagers Shot Dead in Group in Murng-Kerng.

    On 8 June 2002, a patrol of about 30 SPDC troops from Company No.4 of LIB514, led by commander Kyaw Hlaing, arrested 13 farmers, interrogated them and eventually shot 12 of them dead in a group at a remote farm in Murng-Kerng township. The victims — 7 Shan villagers from Saam Poon village and 6 Palaung villagers from Nawng Tao village, altogether 13 including men and women — were taking turns in helping one another weed their farms, and happened to be together at a farm when the said SPDC patrol came upon them.

    The SPDC troops arrested all the 13 farmers, tied them up with ropes and interrogated them about Shan soldiers in the area. The troops wanted to know how many Shan soldiers were in the area, where they were, and who their leaders were, etc., but all the farmers said they did not know. Commander Kyaw Hlaing then singled out Lung Maan Seng, aged 60, a Palaung man who was the oldest in the group, and said to him, "You are the oldest in your group. You must return and tell all the villagers not to help and support the Shan soldiers. From now on we will shoot to death all those who do not listen to us".

    The SPDC troops then shot and killed the other 12 the group. Lung Maan Seng, however, was detained for 2 days before being released, and he duly related the incident to the villagers in the area, especially the relatives of the 12 who had been shot infront of him. (Source: SHRF)

    2 Villagers Shot Dead in Tachilek

    On 10 June 2002, 2 villagers from Nam Lao village in Pa Leo village tract, Ta-Khi-Laek township, were shot dead by SPDC troops from LIB316 on the bank of Nam Lao stream outside their village. On that day, the 2 victims, Ai En (m), aged 21 and Ai Yeng (m), aged 20, were returning from Kaeng Laab village, where they had gone on a business trip, when they ran into a group of 7 SPDC troops near the Nam Lao stream outside their village. The SPDC troops stopped them and asked questions about their identities and what they were doing. After they had answered the questions, the troops shot at them without pointing out their faults or giving any reason whatsoever. They just fired shots at each of them and left towards Kaeng Laab village.

    Zaai Yeng was hit in the chest and died instantly. But Zaai En was hit in the side of his stomach and did not die immediately and, after the troops left, managed to stagger into the village and told the villagers about the incident. Zaai En, however, died of his wound and loss of blood some hours later after the villagers failed to find transport in time to take him to the hospital in Ta-Khi-Laek town. The villagers dared not report the incident to any SPDC authorities and quietly conducted a funeral for the dead in accordance with their tradition. (Source: SHRF)

    4 Displaced Farmers Shot Dead in Kun-Hing

    On 14 June 2002, 4 displaced farmers who were taking their buffaloes home after working in the rice fields were shot dead by SPDC troops from IB246 on the way between Wan Lao village and Kun-Hing town, Kun-Hing township. The displaced farmers were originally from Wan Lao village in Wan Lao village tract, Kun-Hing township. They had been forcibly relocated to the outskirts of Kun-Hing town in 1997 by the then SLORC (State Law and Order Restoration Council) troops. For some years now, the villagers of Wan Lao had been allowed by local SPDC troops to go and cultivate their original farm lands in the area of their old village, but not allowed to resettle at the village.

    On the day of the incident, the 4 victims, each pulling a buffalo, were returning to Kun-Hing town relocation site after working at the rice fields near their old village, Wan Lao, when they ran into a group of 16 SPDC troops from IB246, led by commander San Win. The SPDC troops then shot and killed all 4 of them and took away all their buffaloes. When they got back to their military base, the troops said they got the buffaloes from some cattle traders and killed them for meat, which was to be eaten as well as sold in Kun-Hing town.

    The 4 victims were:

    1. Saang Weet (m), aged 28, originally from Wan Lao village, Wan Lao tract, Kun-Hing township

    2. Zaai Thun Suay (m), aged 19, originally from Wan Lao, Wan Lao tract, Kun-Hing township

    3. Pi Phaw-Ka (m), aged 49, originally from Wan Lao, Wan Lao tract, Kun-Hing township

    4. Pi Zaai (m), aged 44, originally from Wan Lao, Wan Lao tract, Kun- Hing township

    Although community leaders of the original villagers of Wan Lao and others in Kun-Hing town knew of the incident after their relatives had found the bodies of the dead, no one dared to talk about it in public, let alone take any action. (Source: SHRF)

    10 Displaced Farmers Shot Dead in a Group, Woman Raped and Her Husband Beaten to Death in Lai-Kha.

    In mid-June 2002, a patrol of SPDC troops from LIB515 surrounded a group of 11 displaced farmers, shot dead 10 of them and forced 1 to serve as a guide, at a remote farm some 7 miles west of Lai-Kha town. A few days later they raped a woman and beat her husband to death at a remote farm some 11 miles north of the town. The 11 displaced farmers belonged to the same extended family originally from Nawng Zem village in Haai Seng village tract, Lai-Kha township, which had been forcibly relocated to the outskirts of Lai-Kha town in 1997 by the then SLORC (State Law and Order Restoration Council) troops. They managed to survive the hard years at the relocation site by secretly growing rice at remote farms and working as day labourers.

    On 11 June 2002, a patrol of about 35 SPDC troops from LIB515, led by Capt. Maung Win of Company No.4, went to a remote farm about 7 miles west of Lai-Kha town and rounded up the said 11 farmers, including 10 young men and women and a middle-aged man, Lung Puk, aged 57, who was the head of the family. The SPDC troops accused the farmers of supporting Shan soldiers with rice and food and shot 10 of them dead, leaving only Lung Puk to be used as a guide. The SPDC troops then told Lung Puk that they had killed the farmers because they had given help to the Shan solders who were fighting against them and forced him to guide them in searching the area for 3 days before releasing him.

    On 15 June 2002, after releasing Lung Puk, the SPDC troops continued to search the area and went to another remote farm about 11 miles north of Lai-Kha town, where a young couple of displaced farmers had been working. The couple ran into the SPDC troops at the edge of the farm as they came to it. The couple, Zaai Taan Nyunt and Naang Mo (not her real name), from (——) village (name withheld to protect the rape survivor) in Naa Mang village tract, Lai-Kha township, were going to their farm when they ran into the said SPDC troops at the edge of the farm. The couple were seized by the troops and taken to different places. The officer, a Sergeant Major or a Second Lieutenant, who took away Naang Mo raped her, and then let 10 of his troops rape her until she lost consciousness. Zaai Taan Nyunt was beaten to death some distance north of the farm.

    When Naang Mo regained consciousness, it was around 4 o’clock in the afternoon and she was alone in a forest some distance away from her farm. She tried to find her husband in and around the farm for a while but could not find him, so she returned to the village and related her plight to her relatives and fellow villagers, but they could do nothing that evening because it was getting dark. The next day, about 20 villagers went in search of Zaai Taan Nyunt and found his dead body where he was beaten to death north of the farm. The villagers then buried his body properly where it was found and on the 7th day of his death conducted a funeral for him at a Buddhist temple according to their tradition. Naang Mo was said to have been suffering from sickness and weakness since her ordeal up to the time this report was received. (Source: SHRF)

    3 Akha Villagers Shot Dead in Murng-Phyak.

    On 19 June 2002, 3 Akha villagers were shot dead by a patrol of SPDC troops from LIB329 on the bank of Nam Paang stream near Sop Paang village in Wan Lom village tract, Murng-Phyak township. The victims, Aa Li (m), aged 18, Aa Jo (m), aged 25 and Aa Laa (m), aged 25, were all from Sop Paang village and on the day of the incident had gone to hunt and gather bamboo shoots to sell and support their families.

    While they were gathering bamboo shoots, the 3 Akha men were spotted by a patrol of about 60 SPDC troops from LIB329 who called out to the Akha men to come to them. The Akha men, however, were too afraid of the Burmese soldiers to go to them and tried to run away, and the SPDC troops opened fire, killing all 3 of them. The SPDC troops then continued their patrolling and when they reached Wan Lom village they told the villagers that they had killed 3 Shan rebels on the way, and ordered the villagers to go and bury them.

    When villagers of Wan Lom saw the bodies of those whom the SPDC had accused of being Shan rebels, they knew instantly that they were just ordinary Akha villagers of Sop Paang village who had gone to gather and hunt for food in the forest. So they went and informed their relatives at Sop Paang village about the incident. On hearing about the incident, the relatives and fellow villagers of the 3 victims retrieved their bodies and conducted a funeral for them according to their Akha tradition. Although they all knew who had killed the 3 Akha men, no one knew why, and no one dared to report the incident to the SPDC authorities in the area. (Source: SHRF)

    Displaced Villagers Shot Dead, Their Cattle Stolen in Murng-Nai.

    On 19 June 2002, 3 displaced villagers who had gone to gather bamboo with an ox-cart were shot dead and their oxen stolen by SPDC troops of LIB518, in the forest some miles north of Murng-Nai town. The 3 victims, Zaai Ung (m), aged 24, Zaai Thun (m), aged 29 and Naang Pun (f), aged 22, were originally from Haai Kur village in Mai Hai village tract, which had been forcibly relocated to the outskirts of Murng-Nai town in 1997 by the then SLORC (State Law and Order Restoration Council) troops.

    On the day of the incident, the 3 villagers went with an ox-cart to the forest north of the town to gather bamboo for repairing the fences of their house and garden. When they did not return after 2 days, and their 2 draft-oxen were seen in the base of LIB 518 by some villagers, their relatives went in search for them and found their dead bodies in the bamboo forest north of the town.

    On 25 June 2002, SPDC troops from the same battalion, LIB518, beat to death a displaced villager, Lung Nya (m), aged 51, and took away his cow and its calf, at a place some distance outside Murng-Nai town. Lung Nya was originally from Wan Pong village in Naa Khaan village tract, Murng-Nai township, which had been forcibly relocated to the outskirts of Murng-Nai town in 1997 by SLORC troops. He had bought a cow with a small calf and had been taking them to graze in a meadow outside the town nearly every day for about 3 months when he was killed and his cows were stolen by the said SPDC troops. (Source: SHRF)

    2 Akha Villagers Shot Dead in Murng-Phyak

    On 21 June 2002, 2 Akha villagers from Ja-Nu village in Nam Naang village tract, Murng-Phyak township, who were returning from their farm were shot dead by a patrol of SPDC troops from LIB329 in the forest between Ja-Nu village and their farm. On the day of the incident, the said 2 Akha villagers, La-Pa (m), aged 19 and Ja-Her (m), aged 21, were returning from their rice farm when they ran into a patrol of about 30 SPDC troops from Murng-Phyak-based LIB329. La-Pa and Ja-Her were so frightened by the sudden encounter with the much feared SPDC troops that they tried to run away. However, before they could make a move, both were gunned down by the troops and died instantly on the way to their farm.

    After killing the 2 Akha villagers, the SPDC troops continued their patrol and as they were passing through Pa Yaao village, a neighbouring village with Ja-Nu village in the same village tract, they told the villagers that they had shot dead 2 men who were returning from taking food to the Shan rebels, in the forest near Ja-Nu village. When villagers of Pa Yaao found the bodies, they knew who they were and informed the villagers of Ja-Nu and relatives of the dead about the incident. The bodies were then properly buried and a funeral conducted in accordance with their traditions. According to their relatives, the 2 victims were just returning home from their rice farm which was some distance from their village when they were shot dead. (Source: SHRF)

    Mushroom Gatherers Shot Dead in Lai-Kha.

    On 7 July 2002, 3 out of 5 displaced villagers who were gathering mushrooms in the forest were shot dead by a patrol of SPDC troops in the forest 4-5 miles west of Lai-Kha town. The said 5 villagers were originally from Nawng Mai village in Wan Saang village tract, Lai-Kha township, which had been forcibly relocated to the outskirts of Lai-Kha town in 1996 by the then SLORC troops.

    The villagers were:

    1) Lung Taan Lu (m), aged 58

    2) Lung Kham Maw Tawng (m), aged 55

    3) Zaai Zaam Seng (m), aged 37

    4) Zaai Kaw (m), aged 31

    5) Naang Seng Hurng (f), aged 27

    On the day of the incident, the villagers went together to gather mushrooms in the forest west of Lai-Kha town. When they were roaming around in the forest, a group of SPDC soldiers appeared from somewhere and called out to them to come to them. Some of the villagers ran as they heard the soldiers, but 2 of them, Naang Seng Hurng (not her real name) and Lung Taan Lu (not his real name), were so close to the soldiers that they dared not move.

    The SPDC troops shot at those who ran, killing all of them, although some did not die immediately. The commander of the troops said to Lung Taan Lu and Naan Seng, "They must be Shan rebels, that was why they ran away from us". Lung Taan Lu then said to the commander, "Had they known it was you ‘Bo Gyi’ (Commander), they would not have run. They might have thought you were Shan rebels so they ran, because our community leaders always warned us to keep away from them to avoid being kidnapped or forced to join them. That was why they had tried to run".

    When the SPDC troops heard that, they let Lung Taan Lu and Naang Seng go, warning them not to tell anyone about the incident, but to say they heard shots of gunfire and ran back to their village. The troops also threatened to come and kill them if they told people that it was SPDC soldiers who shot those villagers dead. (Source: SHRF)

    10 Displaced Elderly Villagers Shot Dead While Observing Buddhist Sabbath, 25 Others Disappeared After Arrest in Nam-Zarng.

    On 21 September 2002, 10 displaced elderly villagers who were observing Buddhist sabbath were arrested from a monastery and shot dead in a group by SPDC troops from IB246, led by Capt. Pyi Pyo Wei, in Kho Lam village tract in Nam-Zarng township. Around noon of that day, some insurgent soldiers attacked the base of IB246 of the SPDC in Kho Lam, leaving one SPDC soldier dead and one rifle lost. That night, a patrol of 40 SPDC troops, led by Capt. Pyi Pyo Wei, from the commando unit under the direct command of Tactical Command commander, San Htun, based in Kun-Hing town, came to Kho Lam area.

    The day of the incident was full-moon day of the 10th month of the Shan lunar calendar and many elderly people were observing Buddhist sabbath when around midnight the said SPDC patrol of commandoes went via Wan Luk Pung Nam Kheo to Wan Phui village in Kho Lam village tract. The SPDC troops arrested 7 elderly Shan men from Wan Phui village monastery and 3 other younger villagers they found at the monastery and took them to a place known as Kung Nawng Kai, some distance from the monastery, and shot all 10 of them dead in a group.

    The next morning, some other SPDC troops from Nam-Zarng-based IB66 went to Wan Phui village and gave the villagers 10 sacks of rice to conduct a funeral for the dead they found at Kung Nawng Kai, whom they claimed must have been killed by the rebels.

    The 10 persons killed were:

    1) Lung Wan-Na (m), aged 70, from Luk Nam Kheo village, Nam- Zarng township

    2) Lung Saam (m), aged 80, Originally from Nam Waan village, Naa Poi tract, Nam-Zarng township

    3) Lung Su (m), aged 30, Originally from Wan Luk village, Naa Poi tract, Nam-Zarng township

    4) Lung Zarae Su (m), aged 70, Originally from Wan Luk village, Naa Poi tract, Nam-Zarng township

    5) Pu Mu Ling (m), aged 80, Originally from Wan Luk village, Naa Poi tract, Nam-Zarng township

    6) Lung Thi Seng (m), aged 50, Originally from Loi Waeng village, Naa Poi tract, Nam-Zarng township

    7) Lung Za-Ling (m), aged 50, Originally from Loi Waeng village, Naa Poi tract, Nam-Zarng township

    8) Ka-Win-Da (m), aged 25, Originally from Wan Hai village, Naa Poi tract, Nam-Zarng township

    9) Zaai Ti (m), aged 30, Originally from Ter Zarng village, Naa Poi tract, Nam-Zarng township

    10) Zaai Lu (m), aged 16, Originally from Nawng Kwaai village, Ton Hung tract, Nam-Zarng township

    These people were displaced farmers who had been forcibly relocated to Kho Lam relocation site from their original villages during the mass forced relocation in 1996 by the then SLORC (State Law and Order Restoration Council) troops. (Source: SHRF)

    8 Displaced Farmers Raped and Killed in a Group in Murng-Pan.

    On 24 September 2002, 8 displaced farmers, including 5 men and 3 women, were beaten and shot to death, the women raped before being killed, by a patrol of SPDC troops from LIB502, led by Capt. Soe Naing, at Tawng Kwaai Tai village (deserted) in Tawng Kwaai village tract, Murng-Pan township. The said 8 displaced farmers were originally from Tawng Kwaai Tai village which had been forcibly moved to Ho Phaai Long village tract by the Burmese army troops some years ago. These farmers had managed to get permission from the SPDC authorities of Murng-Pan township and, with a pass given by the township office, had been going to work at their original rice fields at their old village since May 2002.

    On the day of the incident, however, the said patrol of 40-45 SPDC troops from LIB502, led by Capt. Soe Naing, went and rounded up the said farmers who were working in the fields. The farmers were kept for one night, during which the 3 women were raped by the SPDC troops, and were all killed on the next day.

    The victims were:

    1. Lung Kaw-Ya (m), aged 48

    2. Lung Kan-Ta-Ma (m), aged 47

    3. Zaai Wan-Na (m), aged 45

    4. Zaai Pae-Ti (m), aged 36

    5. Zaai Kat-Ti-Ya (m), aged 32

    6. Naang Lu (f), aged 31

    7. Naang Thun Nae (f), aged 29

    8. Naang Zing Nyunt (f), aged 25

    Where their bodies were found, the women’s were lying separately about 20-25 yards from one another with no clothes on whatsoever and there were signs of severe beating and rape on all of them. The men’s bodies were lying together but only one had bullet holes; the others had bruises and wounds all over, apparently beaten to death. The women were also beaten to death. (Source: SHRF)

    Rape and Killing of 10 Displaced Farmers in Kun-Hing and Nam-Zarng.

    On 2 October 2002, 10 displaced farmers, including 6 men and 4 women, from Kun-Hing relocation site were beaten to death, the women raped before being killed, by a patrol of SPDC troops from IB66, near Nam Wo village (deserted) in Nam-Zarng township. The said 10 displaced farmers were originally from Nam Wo village in Haai Laai village tract, Nam-Zarng township, which had been forcibly relocated to Kun-Hing township at the relocation site on the outskirts of Kun-Hing town in 1996 by the then SLORC (State Law and Order Restoration Council) troops. These farmers had been given permission by the local SPDC military authorities of Kun-Hing-based IB246 to go and cultivate their farms at their original old village, Nam Wo. On the day of the incident, while the farmers were working at their farms a patrol of SPDC troops from Nam-Zarng-based IB66 went and arrested them. All the 10 farmers were later beaten to death by the SPDC troops; the women were raped before being killed. Their bodies were scattered in and on the edge of a farm near Nam Wo village.

    The 10 victims were:

    1. Lung Zan-Da Lam (m), aged 48

    2. Zaai Taw-Ling (m), aged 28

    3. Zaai Phaw-Ka (m), aged 35

    4. Zaai Long (m), aged 31

    5. Zaai Mu-Lung (m), aged 28

    6. Zaai Maad (m), aged 27

    7. Naang Seng (f), aged 26

    8. Naang Zing Lu (f), aged 24

    9. Naang Nae (f), aged 22

    10. Naang Thuay (f), aged 20 (Source: SHRF)

    2 Displaced Farmers Shot Dead an Ox Stolen in Murng-Kerng.

    On 27 October 2002, 2 displaced farmers who were leading an ox were shot dead and the ox was stolen by a patrol of SPDC troops from LIB 514, led by commander Aung Nyunt, near a main road some distance outside of Murng-Kerng town. The 2 displaced farmers, Lung Wan, aged 51 and Zaai Khat-Ti-Ya, aged 31, were originally from Haai Ngern village in Yaang Loi village tract, which had been forcibly relocated to the outskirts of Murng-Kerng town in 1997. At the time of the incident, they managed to get permission from the local SPDC military authorities to cultivate their rice fields. As the 2 farmers went to irrigate their rice fields that day, they found an ox grazing in one of their fields and they helped each other catch it. As they knew the ox belonged to one of their fellow villagers, they took it with them on their return to give back to its owner. As the 2 farmers approached a main road some distance from the town, they ran into a patrol of 15-16 SPDC troops from Co.3 of LIB514, led by commander Aung Nyunt, who shot at them without warning. Lung Wan was killed instantly. Khat-Ti-Ya was hit in the thigh and dropped to the ground, holding the rope that tied the ox in his hands. One of the SPDC troops then went to Khat-Ti-Ya and took the rope from his hands, pulled the ox away from him, and shot him dead. (Source: SHRF)

    A Fisherman Beaten to Death His Fish Stolen in Murng-Nai.

    On 27 October 2002, 5 villagers who had caught fish together were robbed of their fish and one of them was severely beaten up, causing death later, by 3 SPDC troops from LIB 518, led by Sgt. Aung Soe, in Saai Phe village tract, Murng-Nai township.

    The said 5 villagers were from Saai Phe village in Saai Phe village tract and had gone to catch fish together in the area. When they were returning with their catch, they were stopped by 3 SPDC soldiers from Co.4 of LIB 518, led by Sgt. Aung Soe.

    The SPDC troops forcibly took some fish from the villagers’ catch, saying "These are for our battalion commander; these are for our major and these are for our captain, etc.", deliberately choosing the big and beautiful ones and leaving only the small and ugly ones for the villagers.

    One of the villagers, Lung Man, aged 53, who was the oldest and a kind of leader of the group, begged the SPDC troops to take also the small ones and leave some of the big ones for the villagers because they needed to sell them to buy rice to support their families, and they would not be able to get enough money to buy rice by selling only small fish. The SPDC Sergeant then said to the villagers that it was not his concern whether the villagers had any fish or not, but they must have a lot of fish. Lung Man then became angry and retorted, "Why don’t you go and catch for yourselves if you want a lot".

    The Sergeant then hit Lung Man on the back of his neck with a rifle butt, and Lung Man fell to the ground. After a moment Lung Man managed to get up and the SPDC troops kicked him down again and continued to kick his stomach and his body several times. They then left the place taking the fish with them. The other 4 villagers had to carry Lung Man back to their village and sent him to Murng-Nai town hospital on an ox-cart. Lung Man, however, suffered from the beating all night and died at dawn on the next day at the hospital. No one has so far dared to complain about the incident.

    The 5 villagers were (1) Lung Man (m) aged 53, (2) Zaai Lu (m) aged 29, (3) Zaai Laek (m) aged 19, (4) Naang Ung (f) aged 12 and (5) Zaai Mu (m) aged 21. (Source: SHRF)

    Karenni State

    On 12 Febraury 2002, two Shodawkoh villagers, Saw Phapayaw and Naw Chris Say Wah (the seven year old daughter of Naw Khu Say), were arrested by Burmese troops from LIB No. 306, led by temporary commander Major Myint Than. They were then buried alive at the Pwadoh bridge site. (Source: KNAHR)

    On 21 February 2002 at 4:00 pm, a villager named Htay Reh, 42, from Hsotasha was killed by SPDC troops from IB No. 72. This happened near the Thai-Karenni border post 9 while he was looking for fish. Hunters found his dead body that evening. (Source: KNAHR)

    In March 2002, the SPDC troops buried an eight-year old Karenni girl alive as a human sacrifice for a river bridge they were constructing. The troops had encountered great difficulties in building the bridge in the Tongu district of Karenni State. This is an ancient practice of Burma’s kings which enslaves the ghost of the victim as a guardian spirit. Doh Say Bani of the Karenni Refugee Committee said, "Our people are still being killed. Our people are still being forced to work. All our people in Burma are living in fear." (Source: CSW)

    On 5 March 2002, a Burmese military unit from IB No. 72, which is camped at Hteekyet Kerd Hill, made a 5km incursion into Thailand. On that day, at about 10:00 am, Nga Reh, 54, a Karenni originally from Hsotasha, met these SPDC troops in the rice fields and was killed near Tapraleh, a Thai village. The next day, the villagers found his body, which had a grenade laid underneath it. (Source: KNAHR)

    On 28 March 2002, Saw Saku (son of Saw Takel), 35, from Gabawhtar village was killed at 13:30 by SPDC troops from LIB No. 304, led by Commander of Operations Myint Than and Captain Kyaw Myint. (Source: KNAHR)

    On 18 May 2002, about 80 Burmese troops from LIB No. 261 at Thone Mile base and local militias went to Namsohn Kuay village, Teelon village tract. They arrested village chief U San Kam, 50, without reason. The troops stayed for three nights in the village and interrogated him about the movements of the Karenni forces. They tortured him when he could not give them any information. Finally, the troops killed him on 31 May at 5:00 am on a bridge just outside the village. Namsohn Kuay village is located in the northern part of Loikaw, the capital, and a distance of 7 miles from Loilin Lay. In 1999, a former village chief and the Secretary of Namsohn Kuay were arrested and taken away by Burmese troops from IB No. 54 led by Captain Aung Kyi. They are still missing to this day. (Source: KNAHR)

    On 19 June 2002, a group from KNPLF (Karenni Nationalities People’s Liberation Front, an SPDC-backed cease-fire armed group), led by Lwi Zei and Ye Win, killed Hteeduku villager, Jowahni, while he was on his way home from Pruso without giving a reason. (Source: KNAHR)

    On 25 June 2002, about 20 Burmese troops led by Captain Kyit Shwe from LIB No. 530 went to Bulyah village and asked the villagers for information on Karenni forces. The troops threatened to kill the villagers when they said there were no Karenni troops in the village. When they left, the Burmese troops took the village chief to be their guide for three days. (Source: KNAHR)

    On 26 November 2002 at 10:45, a combined column of Burmese troops from LIB No. 411 and KNPLF (SPDC-backed cease-fire armed group) opened fire on a group of 20 Shadaw camp residents near Hteetalaw Leh without provocation. Daw Tama villager Noe Reh, 37, was killed. 15 were captured by the troops and 4 others managed to escape. (Source: KNAHR)


    Go to Main Page