[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index
1. A students protest in Monywa
2. Schools in Mandalay, Monywa and Kalay remain
3. Students decided to stay on in Rangoon.
1. A students protest was reported to have taken place at
No(1.) State high school in Monywa on 11/12/96 and 12/12/96.
A rumor that the Burmese students from India had arrived in
Monywa, was also spreading in Monywa. On hearing that
rumor, SLORC officials were busy conducting house to house
search for said students.
2. Schools in Mandalay, Monywa and Kalay have been
shut down by the authorities without any prior notice. Students
were said to have been sent back to their respective home-town
and were made to sign at the every check-points on their way
3. The students who are non-residents of Rangoon were
asked by the officials to leave Rangoon for their respective
home-towns. Only female students complied with the officials
order. But most of the male students, in spite of the SLORC
officials order, decided to remain in Rangoon. The students
have made an declaration that the day schools and colleges are
reopened must be the day the students union is formed.