[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index
- Subject: DONíT_FORGET_WOMEN_OF_BURMA_DAY_JUN
- From: altsean@xxxxxxxxxx
- Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 05:15:00
X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Pro Version 4.0
DON?T FORGET WOMEN OF BURMA DAY JUNE 19, 1999!!
Since 1997, Burma activists and their supporters have celebrated June 19,
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi?s birthday, as Women of Burma Day.
Women of Burma Day is a time for all of us to express our solidarity and
support for women of all backgrounds who have been resisting the military
regime in Burma. These women of different ethnicity, religion, educational
background and occupation continue to work for peace and democracy while
living inside Burma, in the border camps, or in exile.
Last year, the NLD endorsed this day by declaring June 19 as National
Women?s Day inside Burma. The military regime was so upset that they
"retaliated" by declaring July 3 as Myanmar Women?s Day. We hope you will
celebrate the "right" women?s day on June 19.
FOR THE 1999 WOMEN OF BURMA DAY, ALTSEAN-BURMA IS PRODUCING:
* NEW POSTER "Women of Burma ~ Resisting the Military Regime" (sorry, text
is in English only). Cost US$7 for set of 5. Altsean-Burma is happy to send
them FREE if you plan to organise an event, however, you will have to cover
the cost of delivery (post/courier).
* NEW POSTCARD: Daw Suu on Women?s Solidarity. Cost US$4 for 5, $6 for 10.
* REPRINT of "Burma: Voices of Women In the Struggle" (separate English
edition and Burmese editions). Cost US$7 each.
* REPORT CARD: Situation of Women in Burma. Cost US$2 each.
* POSTCARD & BADGES: Yellow flowers for democracy. Cost US$7 for 20
postcards and 5 badges.
All prices include postage and handling. Discounts available for bulk orders.
SUGGESTIONS FOR WOMEN OF BURMA DAY ACTIVITIES:
Last year, Burma support groups and women?s groups worked together to
organised a range of activities around the world, e.g.:
* A launch of Burma: Voices of Women in the Struggle - this year you can
launch the new poster
* A statement, press release or letter to the media to mark Women of Burma
Day. Generate articles and discussions about women in Burma.
* A silent protest (and in one case, even a tea party!) outside the nearest
Burmese diplomatic mission wearing a mask of a prominent political prisoner
or Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.
* A intimate gathering to read works of women from Burma, view videos and
Please email us at <altsean@xxxxxxxxxx> for further information.
A L T S E A N - B U R M A
Alternative Asean Network on Burma
Tel: 66 2 275 1811 * Fax: 66 2 693 4515