Jordan Lake shorebirds

Hi,

I have just came back from the area N from 751 bridge. There are a few
changes after the front passed by. Weather is probably too good and most
shorebirds could just fly over heading for more southern stopover.
Nevertheless there are a few birds around, most I guess are new arrivals
(more Calidris species appear). Even some some Killdeers could moved out
from the area.

Black-bellied Plover - 1 ad male (a few days ago there was one female)
Killdeer - 64 (at least some are gone)
Spotted Sand. - 7 (4 ad 3 juv)
Lesser Yellowlegs - 4
Pectoral Sand. - 26
Semipalmated Sand. - 10
White-rumped Sand. - 1 ad (life bird!)
Baird's Sand. - 1 ad
Least Sand. - 35

s you see no Greater Yellow., Solitary, Western Sandpipers no
Semipalmated Plovers. We may expect much more shorebirds when these cold
fronts from Hudson Bay down to Texas would eventually moved to the east.
Otherwise nice strong high pressure system we have now could be less
productive with shorebirds (I would expect some new species but in low
numbers), in the other hand it is nice and cool, isn't it?
I have some 8-10 Hummers by my feeder, I have never realized these guys
could be so aggressive!
Lion the King? No way, Hummer IS THE KING.

Mike

Michal Skakuj  Ph.D.
4600 University Drive # 1312
Durham, NC 27707