Re: Carolina RBA Sept. 5 Update

Carolinabirders,

If I may add a historical perspective to this question, I hope that it will
be helpful to Mike and others who are new to Carolinabirds.  The Rare Bird
Alert is a service sponsored and financed by the Carolina Bird Club, Inc.,
ornithological society of the Carolinas.  It is primarily accessed by
telephone and is modeled on similar services in many other states.  All these
services were begun before computer listservs were prevalent and their
purpose is pretty much what Greg Dodge outlines in his post earlier this
morning.  Taylor Piephoff, who runs the RBA for the CBC is located in
Charlotte and his primary source of information is the telephone calls to the
RBA line; although, as his posting on Carolinabirds indicates, he does glean
some reports from Carolinabirds.  The RBA is separate from the Bird Records
Committees of North Carolina and South Carolina which are elected by the
members of the Carolina Bird Club, Inc.  They determine the official list of
birds in each state based on written reports from rare or unusual sightings.

Also please note that the listserv, Carolinabirds, was originated and is
owned by Will Cook of Duke University and is not connected with the Carolina
Bird Club, Inc., although many of its subscribers are CBC members.

Clyde Smith
Raleigh, NC
Smith82534@aol.com

"To me all the frail, enduring beauty of the world finds its voice in the
song of the whitethroat."  Edwin Way Teale