Fun sighting

Hello birders.  :-)

As I was driving to work this morning I had the most unusual hawk sighting -
I just had to share it with you.  Sitting on a power line in the Kroger
parking lot at the corner of Fayetteville Road and Hwy 54 was a
Red-shouldered Hawk.   I was so surprised I nearly bumped the car in front
of me.  I pulled around in the parking and stopped directly in front of the
bird to make sure of my ID.  He was so motionless at first I thought he must
not be real, but finally he turned his head scanning the grass at the side
of the parking lot looking for breakfast.

I've seen lots of Red-shouldered Hawks in urban areas and around my office
there in the past, but sitting on a power line was a first for me.  He
looked very odd, very out of place, and a bit off balance there!
Eventually he swooped down into the grass to check something out a bit
closer, then returned this time to the top of the pole connecting the power
lines.  I informed him he looked much better there before I left him to
finish his breakfast.

Fun sightings like this, while not rare or exciting, is what makes birding
worthwhile for me.  :-)

Toni

Toni Rexrode
Durham, NC