Re: Winter song

"I had no idea they (Winter Wrens) sang such beautiful songs, I'm only
used to hearing their constant low muttering when following them on the
ground through thickets.
Craig Armstrong / Chapel Hill"

If you are interested in hearing their song for extended periods of time, go
to Mt. Mitchell State Park in late June. Drive to the parking lot at the end
of the road, and go past the concession stand. Walk up the trail to the top
of the mountain (hihgest point east of the Mississippi), and listen for the
song near the little shack/museum. I have seen them singing from the roof of
the museum, turning around to broadcast the song to the cardinal directions,
and at each turn changing pitch. He will end the song with the highest,
sweetest trill, and hop down to forage. I dare say that the one I heard in
1987 is long gone now, but I suspect his great-great grandson will be there
next summer.

Alex Netherton, the Appalachian Naturalist
alex@alexnetherton.com
Asheville, NC
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mountainbirding/