Mattamuskeet White Pelican; Pitt Co. (NC) Anhinga

At least one American White Pelican is still present at Lake Mattamuskeet --
I saw one yesterday near the observation platform on the causeway.  Tundra
swans were present in abundance, along with hundreds of green-winged teal,
dozens of northern pintails, and smaller numbers of blue-winged teal,
mallard and American black duck.  Unfortunately, I hadn't seen Will Cook's
message about the black-headed gull, so I didn't look closely for this.

Also, an immature or adult female Anhinga has been present for the past
three weeks at River Park North in Greenville (NC).  I don't know if it is
unusual to find one this far north and inland at this time of year, but it's
the first one I've seen in four years of birding at the River Park.

Cheers,

Jeff Popke

E. Jeffrey Popke, Ph.D.
Department of Geography