Trip to OBX

Dear all,

I am very glad that Keith Camburn also spotted the Black Headed Gull at Mattemusket. It was a life bird for Janet an me (#611) and particularly with gulls I am reluctant to make a positive ID. On Wed 27 Nov, we were at the 1st culvert at the N. end of the causeway (RT 94) and were talking with a wildlife biologist who is doing swan research. He mentioned that the previous day (Tuesday Nov. 26) that he had seen two black headed gulls. He pulled his truck away and on cue the BH gull appeared. It was with Bonaparte's gulls, so the size difference, the bill length and orange bill coloration were immediately apparent. I am so glad that we were cued to think BH Gull.

Our trip was great, 103 species. All three scoters, rusty black birds at the Alligator river Refuge . We saw 2 flocks of 1000+ tree swallows. The first was at the intersection of Rts 64 and 264 just west of Manteo. The second was along Long Curve Rd in Alligator River Wildlife refuge. Looked for Cave Swallows, but no luck.

You all know about Five Star and Three Diamond Restaurants. I prefer the "Two Rail" restaurant in Nags Head that also has "nutriasweet" and diving boat-tailed grackles. Last year we went to RV's resturant at the east end of the Nags Head - Manteo Causeway. We saw a Clapper Rail working the edge of the saltmarsh, and Boat-Tailed Grackles diving under water for the corn that the restaurant distributes. This year we saw a very cooperative Sora and a nutria. The food isn't bad either.

Tom

Tom Krakauer
Bahama, Durham County, NC
tkrakauer@mindspring.com