Columbia, SC Ross's Goose-12/14/2002

The Ross's Goose reported earlier by Robin Carter was seen at 5:15pm today
in the field next to the Columbia WWTP.  It is important to note that all
land here is posted and the owners mean business!  But the goose should
easily be seen from the paved, public road.  I hope it will stick around for
others to view but I fear all the noise from the construction at the plant
may drive it off soon.  I have a feeling it may have been in that field all
day but I overlooked it because of the several hundred Ring-billed Gulls
foraging in that part of the field.  Oops.  As Robin mentioned this is the
second Richland Co. record, the first record came from near the town of
Pontiac, SC in the winter of 1999 and was found by Lex Glover.  Good birding
to all.

Mike Turner
Columbia SC