Final results Litchfield-Pawleys Island CBC

Hi Carolinabirders,
Here are the final Compilers Comments (summary) of the
32nd.Litchfield-Pawleys Island CBC which took place this past Dec. 30th.

This year's count was dedicated to the memory of Florence High, a friend
to birders and birds alike and all creatures large and small. Florence
was a long time participant of this count, who passed away a week before
this count at age 90.
 What a difference a year makes!  On the 102nd count this circle
experienced the most adverse weather conditions in its history.  This
year's count day had the most favorable weather conditions hitting 70
degrees F for a brief period around 3PM  with virtualy still winds all
day. This factor combined with 44 participants in the field in 15
parties, plus Gary Phillips doing a hummingbird run lead to the fact
that we smashed the previous count record for species with 167, the
former record was 158, and number of individuals with 35,171.
  We had seven species and forms tagged as unusual species.
 1. Long-tailed Duck, a beautiful female photographed by Phil Turner in
Murrells Inlet.
2. Common Goldeneye originally id by the HBSP North party as it flew
over the crabbers dock (long marsh boardwalk) at HBSP but seen by
numerous folks as it rested in Mullet Pond.
 3.Whimbrel seen by many observers in the HBSP north party.
 4.Caprimulgus sp 1 seen in the dark by Steve Roff as he traveled to the
Education Center to open up for the assembly of the counters.
 5 & 6 the two Ruby Throated and three Rufous Hummers tracked down by
Gary.
 7 A close (but brief) encounter by Jack Peachey of a female Painted
Bunting on the carriage path at HBSP. There was one exceptional bird
seen count week, the 6 Cave Swallows seen up close by Ritch Lilly three
days before the count.
  The compilers are indebted to the party leaders and participants for
their strong effort.
 We would like to thank Mrs. Hanser who generously provided a free
private room for the participants to assemble for our roundup at her
restaurant-THE HANSER HOUSE.
This count is sponsored and supported by the Waccamaw Audubon Society.
 Jack Peachey and Tonya Spires are the co-compilers.