Howell Woods birds

    Went to Howell Woods in Johnston Co. on Monday(1/20). I did not see
anything extraordinary. Spotted large flocks of  Robins, several Hermit
Thrushes and 3 Pileated Woodpeckers. Trails near the feeders had 7 Fox
Sparrows and a Loggerhead Shrike. The wind kept most of the birds in deep
cover. Staff members told me that they had seen a Northern Harrier in the
fallow fields earlier that morning. Evidence of feral pig damage was obvious
on some parts of the trails deep into the property. It almost looked as if
someone had pulled a plow through the forest floor on one particular section
of trail.

Later in the day I traveled to Buckhorn Reservoir at the Johnston/Wilson Co.
border. There were lots of Coots, 20 Lesser Scaup and three Pied Billed
Grebes. Had 1 Field Sparrow near the Bunn Road boat launch.

Has anyone noticed if the berry and nut mast crops are more plentiful this
year as compared to past winters? It just seems to me that there are more
acorns and fruit than I normally see.

David Williams
Clayton, NC
Johnston County