Henderson County/Ross's Geese

Folks,
        At around 11:30 AM this date Ron Selvey called to tell me had 7 Snow
Geese in a plowed field on Hooper Lane in Henderson County.  He viewed these
birds at better than 1/4 mile with his bins.  Since I need Snow Goose for a
year bird, I ran right out there.  Upon my arrival, I observed 3 white geese
and 4 Blue-phase Snow Geese.  As I got closer and put my scope on them I was
very happy to see that 2 of the white geese were in fact ROSS'S GEESE. I
could clearly see the shorter, steeper bill lacking the grinning patch.
They were slightly smaller, more compact, and the head is more rounded then
the other geese present.  You could also see that the base of the bill
appeared to be blue in color.
        The birds are in the field north of the orange trailer on Hooper
Lane at Super Sod, when looking out towards the river.  Good luck!  They are
not on Super Sod property, it is the field immediately north of Super Sod's
Property, same side of the road.  The birds seem skitterish, so please
approach accordingly so that other birders can get to enjoy them.
Best regards,
Wayne
Wayne K. Forsythe
Hendersonville, N. C. 28791