DNHS woodcock walk

Hi Carolinabirders,

Saw something on-line just now where a bird-feeder in Texas attracted
three warbler species (Yellow-rumped, Pine, and Yellow-throated I think
they were) to a feeder full of stale powdered donuts! Something to try at
home...

The Duke Natural History Society had its 4th annual Woodcock Walk today at
the Butner Gamelands. Only one woodcock was lekking, but he did so quite
close to us; we had two great looks at him taking flight and heard him
very clearly. We also heard both Barred and Great Horned Owls, and a
chorus of spooky-sounding Wood Ducks down in the impoundments. When we
walked down there before sunset, though, we saw no ducks, just a Beaver.
After dark, we had a great look at Saturn - rings and all - through my
spotting scope.

Now if those Crabtree scoters will just hold still for a few days...

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University