Hilton Pond 02/01/03 (Groundhog Errors)

Even though Punxsutawney Phil and his predecessors have been around a long time, we're not sure the Groundhog is always right--especially when it comes to predicting winter's end in the Carolina Piedmont and at Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History.

For examples of why we think winter is already over, take a peek at the "This Week at Hilton Pond" photo essay for the week of 1-7 February 2003 by clicking on http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek030201.html .

As always, there's a list of birds banded during the period, plus a tally for recaptures of previously banded individuals.

To request a weekly reminder for "This Week at Hilton Pond," send a blank e-mail to mailto:info@hiltonpond.org with SUBSCRIBE in the subject line.

Happy Nature Watching,

BILL
--

BILL HILTON JR., Executive Director
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

The mission of Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History is "to conserve plants, animals, and other natural components of the Piedmont Region of the eastern United States through observation, scientific study, and education for students of all ages." Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net) at http://www.hiltonpond.org and
http://www.rubythroat.org .

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset." BHjr.