Winter reading

I recently got in another shipment of discount books from Edward R. Hamilton
Bookseller. I thought I'd mention that company to this group for those who
aren't aware of them because they consistantly seem to have a medium-decent
selection of bird books at good discount prices. They specialize in closeouts,
remaindered items and *shopworn* books. The titles change very fast, and the
overall turnover can be swift.

 1st off, if you've never dealt with this company it can be a little weird at
first. They maintain a website, http://www.edwardrhamilton.com  but they don't
allow online ordering, or take credit cards. Rather, you print out an order form
and snail mail it to them. Then, if they still have what you've selected, they
send it out for a flat shipping rate of $3.50 no matter how many pounds of books
you've ordered. If some of your order is no longer in stock, they ship what
they've got and send a refund check for the rest. They don't take plastic, but
they do take personal checks, and from the fast shipping I've gotten, I don't
think they even bother to wait to see if the check clears prior to shipping.

Anyway, want to see why I mention them to this group? Check out the latest
order:

Sibley Guide to Bird Life and Behavior *Shopworn* $19.95 (retail $45)
Mississippi Kite: Portrait of a Southern Hawk $1.95
Sibley's Birding Basics $10.95 (Costco also has this at that price.)
Raptors of the World, *shopworn* $24.95 (retail $60)
Lives of North American Birds (Kaufman) $16.95
The Life of Birds (Attenborough) $7.95

I've been dealing with this company for a few years, and have been very
satisfied with what I've gotten from them. This particular order was especially
thrilling because I got in some books that I never would've afforded at retail.
Their so-called *shopworn* books are often a spectacular bargain. Neither of the
ones I got in this shipment showed anything but minor scuffing on the covers;
about the same wear as they'd get normally, anyway.

The best way to deal with them is to get their print catalog, and check their
website, too.

I would particularly recommend the book on Mississipi Kites and the Sibley book
on bird behavior.

Icy Chee