Long-tailed Ducks

Hello All,

     Yesterday during the last light of the GBBC I took the canoe out onto Robinwood Lake in Gastonia, NC. I would have spent the last hour counting in the backyard, but the kids had scared away all the feeder birds during a snowball fight. I suppose that was lucky.

     I counted 70 Ring-necked Ducks, 9 Ruddy Ducks, 22 Canada Geese, 8 Mallards and a Great Blue Heron (maybe the same fellow who drowned and swallowed an Eastern Chipmunk in my backyard a couple of weeks ago). Best of all there were a male and a female Long-tailed Ducks- a life bird for me and a new species for Gaston County. Duane Crane and Lamar Ashe were able to locate them again today for confirmation, so we can add them to our County Natural Heritage Survey list. Cheers.

Steve Tracy
Gastonia, NC