Black-headed Grosbeak photos/Dovekies

I got a few photos of the grosbeak on Valentine's Day - see:

http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/pix/bhgrosbeak.html

The Dovekies were a little more challenging.  Got great looks at them through
the scope, but...  my best shot is at
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/pix/temp/dovekie3884.jpg
I don't always get lucky :-)

I saw 3 Dovekies (life bird!) on Friday, 14 February -- two sitting in the
water at Kill Devil Hills (public beach access at Atlantic Ave. just north of
the Holiday Inn) and one flyby at the Comfort Inn (south) in Whalebone.  Jeff
Pippen saw two more Dovekies Friday at Southern Shores.  I don't think any
were seen after Saturday because of the wind and high waves.

Also saw a raft of 4 Razorbills at Kill Devil Hills being harassed by a lock
of Bonaparte's Gulls -- every time the Razorbills came up to the surface, the
bonies would fly over to them and the Razorbills would dive again, to
resurface in a different location.  This was repeated many times.
Eric Dean saw a large number of Razorbills on Saturday near Salvo.

Hope that guillemot turns up again!
--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu