Shallotte, NC

My fishing partner and I spent today at Shallotte River in Brunswick County, NC. The weather was beautiful, the fishing was lousy, and the birding was spotty but interesting. We saw a flock of a dozen or so red-breasted mergansers with three bufflehead hens with them. Separately in the same area we found four hooded mergansers. Pine warblers were trilling, titmice were calling, and a pair of brown-headed nuthatches were excavating a hole in a wooden post.

Bob
Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
Historian and General Outdoorsman
Fayetteville, NC 28311